The Quick Fix For The Defense

In today's NFL, and especially against the Patriots and whatever else the Dolphins or Jets might end up with, there are 2 key players that would solidify the defense and give us an awesome front 4. Chan and Buddy said we have receivers, so just let Vincent Jackson go. Mario Williams has to be top priority, whatever the cost. Next, we have to leap frog Miami and definetely take Quinton Couples. Buffalo is that close and with some long range signings of recent we can afford to lose our 1st and a 3rd or 4th this year and possibly a 1st or 2nd next year. As the Bills get better their draft position will lower; so, if the Bills make the playoffs giving up a 20 or back for 2013 is worth it for now. We can find a tackle in round 2 or FA on day 1 or after. We have to get to the QB's. Picture this: Mario Williams - Marcel Dareus - Kyle Williams - Quinton Coples - Nick Barnett - Kelvin Sheppard - Shawne Merriman - Drayton Florence - Leodis McKelvin - Jarius Byrd - George Wilson - Terrence McGee for nickel and dime. That is what I am talking about. Buffalo is moving forward by little leaps, that would be a huge bound.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In today's NFL, and especially against the Patriots and whatever else the Dolphins or Jets might end up with, there are 2 key players that would solidify the defense and give us an awesome front 4. Chan and Buddy said we have receivers, so just let Vincent Jackson go. Mario Williams has to be top priority, whatever the cost. Next, we have to leap frog Miami and definetely take Quinton Couples. Buffalo is that close and with some long range signings of recent we can afford to lose our 1st and a 3rd or 4th this year and possibly a 1st or 2nd next year. As the Bills get better their draft position will lower; so, if the Bills make the playoffs giving up a 20 or back for 2013 is worth it for now. We can find a tackle in round 2 or FA on day 1 or after. We have to get to the QB's. Picture this: Mario Williams - Marcel Dareus - Kyle Williams - Quinton Coples - Nick Barnett - Kelvin Sheppard - Shawne Merriman - Drayton Florence - Leodis McKelvin - Jarius Byrd - George Wilson - Terrence McGee for nickel and dime. That is what I am talking about. Buffalo is moving forward by little leaps, that would be a huge bound.

Coples is garbage, I'd pick any DE over him.

why Coples? I think there is a general consensus that he is highly over rated. Whether it is his effort or production that is questioned the only real thing he brings is prototypical size. I don't want him at all but definitely not in a trade up. At 10 give me Martin, Floyd, or Mercilus (I think Ingram will be gone btw).

DESTRUCTION!!!!!!

I have no problem with Coples but don't recommend going up to get him. I'm really starting to like Mercilus a lot but with his short resume he is one of those guys that isn't proven enough to warrant the #10 overall pick but DEFINITELY won't make it to the 2nd round. So sad.

Nix has said the Bills will not reach @ 10 for a DE and you want him to trade up? I don't think you and the FO are on the same page. That's proabably a good thing.

Mayock said he wouldn't take him in the 3rd round.

Edited by qwksilver

Nix has said the Bills will not reach @ 10 for a DE and you want him to trade up? I don't think you and the FO are on the same page. That's proabably a good thing.

Mayock said he wouldn't take him in the 3rd round.

Well Mayock has never been wrong so....

Mercillus is better suited for a 3-4 OLB. So much so that Mayock took him off his board as a DE and added him to the OLB crop. He also moved Upshaw to DE because of his poor combine performance and struggles moving in space. Coples is the only DE with the prototypical measurables Nix said he's looking for, so at 10, you have to say he's probably the only DE we take if he's available. I'd prefer Floyd at 10 and then go DE in rds 2-3. There's no doubt free agency will really affect our draft. If we are able to sign a high profile FA, that will shake up our board. I know we're reputed to be going after VJackson. If we miss out on him, I would REALLY want Floyd at 10. IMO we need to look at defense in free agency because we need depth as well as starters.

There are about five very good DE's available. I wouldn't trade up to get one and in fact might conceivably wait until the second round, depending on what other holes I fill in free agency. If I got Mario...now that would be a different story. Being aggressive in free agency will make the draft a lot more interesting.

Well Mayock has never been wrong so....

Silly comment. Of course he has. But just about everyone recognizes that of all the draftniks, Mayock is one of (if not the) best at film analysis. He doesn't simply rely on what others tell him (a la Kiper and McShay). He actually played in the league too.

FWIW, I'm as uneducated in reviewing tape as anyone, and I was completely unimpressed with the effort shown by Coples for much of the past season. Unless the light suddenly comes on and he matures, whoever drafts him should prepare to be disappointed (if he's drafted in the 1st or 2nd).

Silly comment. Of course he has. But just about everyone recognizes that of all the draftniks, Mayock is one of (if not the) best at film analysis. He doesn't simply rely on what others tell him (a la Kiper and McShay). He actually played in the league too.

FWIW, I'm as uneducated in reviewing tape as anyone, and I was completely unimpressed with the effort shown by Coples for much of the past season. Unless the light suddenly comes on and he matures, whoever drafts him should prepare to be disappointed (if he's drafted in the 1st or 2nd).

He is also the lone dissenter that doesn't believe that Coples is the top DE prospect. So...either he is brilliant and EVERYONE else is wrong or...maybe this is one of the times that he is wrong and EVERYONE else is right. Just sayin'.

Aaron Williams will be The Bills #1 CB in 2012...

Just saying...It's in pen... B-)

He is also the lone dissenter that doesn't believe that Coples is the top DE prospect. So...either he is brilliant and EVERYONE else is wrong or...maybe this is one of the times that he is wrong and EVERYONE else is right. Just sayin'.

Even if he is the 'lone dissenter' Nix said he isn't reaching for a DE @ 10. So maybe he is the top DE where the DE's have lower grades than usual this year.

Still silly to trade up for Coples.

merriman will play DE not olb in the 43.

i like coples tho and still think he would fit well. people were bitching about his stats but they moved him all over the line played on the left and then bounced inside and teams ran away from him. its not like hes some bum. just watch some games of him without listenting to the talking heads so much

Even if he is the 'lone dissenter' Nix said he isn't reaching for a DE @ 10. So maybe he is the top DE where the DE's have lower grades than usual this year.

Still silly to trade up for Coples.

Already agreed to that. No argument here. I don't think Nix will draft him if he does fall either. I wouldn't mind at all if we did but I think we are going LT unless we can't find a WR in FA.

merriman will play DE not olb in the 43.

i like coples tho and still think he would fit well. people were bitching about his stats but they moved him all over the line played on the left and then bounced inside and teams ran away from him. its not like hes some bum. just watch some games of him without listenting to the talking heads so much

:thumbsup:

Coples has good size and good athleticism but not in the class of Peppers, Williams or Watt- but that wouldn't matter if he was a bright eyed kid but he's not in fact every time I see him interviewed it looks like someone just woke him up from a deep sleep- you got Coples, Ingram, Perry, and Mercilus and none of them seem like the total package you'd want a 10- of course I'm not that hot on the OTs, OGs, QBs WRs, LBs either in fact I like the DTs and CBs talent wise, my preference in order are Claiborne, Trade Back,Cox, Brocker, Poe, and Floyd.

Edited by ....lybob

Coples is garbage, I'd pick any DE over him.

I totally agree with you on that, coples is trash. I love Nick Perry i'm so shocked that no one is really showing him any love, I think he's the top DE in the draft personally. Call me crazy but he know's how to ball

if we go get mario williams he will be playing DE for us meaning we would probably address a different need in the draft, maybe a corner or trade out of the pick and get a TE or WR, colby fleener or mike floyd later in the first.

I'll be all over the Mario Milliams jersey!