McGee restructures

Erik

I will always have a soft spot in my heart from TM. One of the best returns that I have seen -- that did not go for a TD -- was that return he had a few years ago at the end of the half in New Orleans.

I hope he can get and stay healthy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reiterating this is a good move for TM and the Bills. Justin Rogers was picking up steam towards the end of the season, I'd like to see him on the field more. That being said, healthy McGee has proven to be a better than average CB. I'd look to grab another mid-round in the draft if there is one floating around out there with potential that we can develop. Time to pay Stevie and get a pass rusher with the extra cushion in the cap.

McKelvin...the new whipping boy. Never mind the opposing QBs had about 9 seconds to throw. McKelvin sucks. I'd love to see him on the Giants.

I agree. I was waiting on someone to actually back McKelvin. If he can just work on his ability to fight for the ball when it's in the air and if we actually have a pass rush he can be very good. He rarely gets beat. When he gives up passes he's usually in position to make a play. I say give him another chance. I'd hate to see him go some place else and finally put it all together.

I think our need for CB just slipped down a bit, so I lowered our positional need to P4 at DraftTek.

A simulation from DraftTek using these new positional needs, plus analysts' grabs and lockouts, gives us a choice of Mercilus and Upshaw at #10. Coples went to Miami at #8. Bills take their DE first, OLB second, and OT third:

1 Courtney Upshaw DE43 Alabama

2 Ronnell Lewis OLB43 Oklahoma

3 Brandon Mosley OT Auburn

4 Brian Linthicum TE Michigan State

4 Chris Givens WRF Wake Forest

5 Ryan Steed CB Furman

5 James-Michael Johnson ILB Nevada

6 Jacory Harris QB Miami

7 Julian Miller DE43 West Virginia

Some really good talent there. Lewis is the sideline to sideline guy Nix talks about, and Ryan Steed is a decent later round CB. Best late pick is James-Michael Johnson who would be solid backup.

I thought that McGee would be a cap casualty, so I am glad to hear that he will still be with the Bills at a reduced price.

I do not see him as a starter anymore, so does this mean he is going to be a nickel & dimer again?

I would love to see this guy get to a playoff game with the Bills. He's been a good player for us all these years.

I ask all of you, is there one player in the entire history of the Bills existence who was a better kick returner than Terrence McGee?

I really hope this move is to save money so the team can spend it one someone else, not just to save money. I guess we shall see.

This is my hope as well and the timing is very interesting - the Bills have cleared another 2-3 million in cap space the day before another round of negotiations with Stevie's agent.

Craziness aside (end zone antics), I see no reason to not pay him $7.5-$8.5 million a year in a 4-5 year contract. I assume he wants 8.5-10 and the Bills are trying 5-6. Split the difference.

And then move on to signing a new DE free agent or a new LT.

RichNJoisy

Buffalo Bills @buffalobills

#Bills & CB Terrence McGee 2day agreed on a restructured contract.In accord. with team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed

Excellent move IMO. They reduced his base salary, and made it incentive based. McGee as always been a very good corner, he just hasn't been able to stay on the field.

If he can stay healthy, he will be a major asset to the team. If not, he won't cost us much. It also reduces the needs on this team, allowing them hopefully to focus more on the front 7 and WR's.

McKelvin...the new whipping boy. Never mind the opposing QBs had about 9 seconds to throw. McKelvin sucks. I'd love to see him on the Giants.

or...Some people can't face the truth. McKelvin has had plenty of time and opportunity to prove himself. So far the only thing he's proven is that he can't make plays on the Ball. He has speed, and can stay with a WR, but either never makes a play on the ball allowing the receiver to catch it over his head, or just commits a penalty. He just doesn't have it...sorry.

Florence made his share of mistakes last year, but also made some great plays. He would probably thrive in the new 4-3, with help over the top. McKelvin, not so much.

Bills CB's ranking, obviously just my meaningless opinion.

1.) Aaron Williams - limited exposure, but seems to have all the tools thus far. Physical, good instincts, plays the ball well, sure tackler.

2.) McGee - This guy was a great corner when healthy. Obviously the big question is can he stay healthy, and is he still the same player.

3). Florence - Big, physical, plays the ball well. He has all the tools and skill, but he makes the occasional brain fart that costs the team big plays. While normally a decent tackler, he will also occasionally miss easy tackles making you scream obscenities. Overall his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses IMO.

Any of the 3 above make decent starters. The CB's not listed will all have to fight for a roster spot as nickle/dime/st guys, including McKelvin and the new MR popular, Justin Rogers.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart from TM. One of the best returns that I have seen -- that did not go for a TD -- was that return he had a few years ago at the end of the half in New Orleans.

I hope he can get and stay healthy.

Me too.

I think McGee has been the best KR we have ever had.

Glad he's back, and hope he stays healthy.

Edited by JR In Ann Arbor

I think more than anything Mcgee is trying to keep his job !! KNowing that he wouldn't fetch much on the open market b/c of his injuries & the fact that if he was to go to another team he would have to move during the season to another city or hey i could be that just maybe he has some true allegiance to the Bills ??

I think the Stanford Routt thing put a scare into him & he realized he needed to do something or his playing days could virtually be over !!

Plus for all the time he spends not playing his contract should have been cut in half !!

Glad to see this deal announced! I was very surprised though I really thought McGee was a gonner. Ive never really seen him as a "true number1" but he is very servicable and has been an exciting player.

Remeber when he was just a kid trying to make the team and played with a cast on his arm? Hope you can retire a Bill.

good deal for both sides.....kind of a warning sign tho...i don't think McGee accepts this if he is 100% healthy.

I don't know about that. This deal he gets $300K upfront as opposed to $0. As much of his pay has been moved to incentives, the Bills do noy have an incentive to cut him prior to first game..his guarantee now is much lower. I think both sides could see a scenario where if he was just slightly dinged last cut down day..Bills would prolly say adios based on the week one guarantee for vets..then McGee would be really screwed.

Think with his recent history this is a good for both sides, and really accounts for the rules in the CBA

Edited by plenzmd1