McGee restructures

Erik

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh... This is a very unexpected move. I can't say I'm upset at all because we're a bit short on CB's and the keyword being "restructured" means less money given. McGee knew he didn't have a shot at making good money on another team so I'm glad players know their own worth once in awhile.

Buddy definitely is playing chess when we thought he was playing checkers. Everybody had McGee out the door in posts. Buddy's far from a checkmate let alone a check, but it was a good first move IMO.

Edited by HuSeYiN1978

I thought McGee was going to be a cap casualty. I'm glad he's not. Very solid player when healthy. Unfortunately we haven't seen him healthy in awhile. If the restructured contract is paying him 2-3 mill a year, I like the move. Beats paying a guy like Routt 6.5 mill or Finnegan 10 mill per. Carr is going to demand a pretty penny as well, I'd say 8-10 per. Considering the other options, I'm glad they restructured McGee. Class act.

Sounds like same money.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeB_WGR

According to a source, new deal gives the Bills security if 24 isn't healthy, but allows him to make the original money if healthy & playing

I'm fine with the same money deal because a healthy and playing McGee is worth it and if he gets injured then he doesn't get paid the full contract. Works for both sides.

I'm fine with the same money deal because a healthy and playing McGee is worth it and if he gets injured then he doesn't get paid the full contract. Works for both sides.

And the cap number is significantly lowered which is what is important for right now.

Seems like a good move by both McGee and the Bills. If he is healthy and plays, he gets what he would have got. If he is not healthy and cannot play, he doesn't. Under the old contract he was likely a cut, so both sides probably view this as being fair. If this is truly what happened, I like it a lot. As most teams keep 5-6 CBs and need to play most of them during the season, we can go into the FA period and draft with Williams, Florence, McKelvin, McGee and Rogers as the top five, and then if we find a solid veteran or rookie in the 3-5 rounds, take him.

To me, we shouldn't spend one penny on a CB until we fix the pass rush. You don't even know if a CB is any good without one.

Buffalo Bills @buffalobills

#Bills & CB Terrence McGee 2day agreed on a restructured contract.In accord. with team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed

Good for both sides and im glad to see this happen. Will definitely benefit the Bills in terms of cap hit and depth. McGee is also a leader and now has a shot at finishing up his career as a Bill.

Im interested in finding out the details about the reconstruction, my guess is that McGee accepted less in base salary and loaded up on bonuses and incentives. That way the Bills dont have to take a huge cap hit for a player with injury issues unless he stays healthy... and McGee gets the opportunity to make some serious money unless he gets hurt.

Either way I think It's a bright side of my day to hear 24 will be back. He's one of the few originals on the team and just seeing him on the field makes me feel comfortable to go up against any (yes I said it) any WR. Not saying he's Revis or anything but he can sure play CB when he's healthy. Doesn't get beat like McKelvin and doesn't grab and pout like Florence.

Seems like a good move by both McGee and the Bills. If he is healthy and plays, he gets what he would have got. If he is not healthy and cannot play, he doesn't. Under the old contract he was likely a cut, so both sides probably view this as being fair. If this is truly what happened, I like it a lot. As most teams keep 5-6 CBs and need to play most of them during the season, we can go into the FA period and draft with Williams, Florence, McKelvin, McGee and Rogers as the top five, and then if we find a solid veteran or rookie in the 3-5 rounds, take him.

To me, we shouldn't spend one penny on a CB until we fix the pass rush. You don't even know if a CB is any good without one.

I personally would give Florence AND McKelvin both to a team who needs depth in kick returns and CB for a 4th rounder. I'll even take a 5th if that's their final offer. With that pick I'll flip a coin on any CB that's on the board in the draft and I'll bet you that pick would work out better than both those guys.

McKelvin's final straw with me was last year.

I can now say he sucks.

Florence grabs just as much as Revis does but at least Revis hides it well and doesn't have to reach too far to grab cuz he stays with the receiver like a shadow.

Aren't w way under the cap anyway? How can we not be?

Yes we're under the cap but we're also shopping for cornerbacks. Signing McGee to a restructured deal means the FO wants McGee to be a part of the team. We can still go after a CB if that's what you're asking.

According to this, McGee is making less money period:

"Aaron Wilson of FOX Sports reports McGee received a $300,000 signing bonus to re-work the deal and will make $1.35 million in 2012 and $1.75 million the following season. He was scheduled to make $3.6 million in 2012 and $4.6 million in 2013. It will also drop McGee's salary cap figures from $6.3 and $7.2 million to $3.78 and $4.39 million, respectively."

EDIT: Apparently there are escalators in there that mean he could earn the original contract amount per Rodney McKissic of the Buffalo News.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

McGee is a solid CB when healthy....and as we know that is few and far between.

This probably still means the Bills will sign another mid level FA or go after a CB in the mid rounds.

Didnt Chan or Nix say they wanted to sign 3 guys in the D backfield? Think this was one of the signings?

he was in 2006