With the 10th pick of the 2012 NFL draft, Buffalo picks...

TPS

Courtney Upshaw.

Like many here, I've been going back and forth on who should be the pick, and I finally have concluded Upshaw SHOULD be it. Here's why...

He's the most NFL ready, and will step in from day one as a starter. He is both a good pass rusher, and run defender. However, he lacks the "measurables" to be the pass rushing RDE...

Here's what I would hope to see. Standard front 4 of Kelsey, Dareus, Williams, Upshaw. However, in passing situations, I'd flip Upshaw to LDE in place of Kelsey, then use Merriman as strictly a pass rushing RDE; so passing situations would be Upshaw, Dareus, Williams, Merriman.

This brings me to R2. I'd select the best pure pass rusher available as insurance and backup to Merriman. This could be anyone from Perry, Brown, Branch, Curry, to Massaquoi.

Finally, in R3, I'd select the best pass defense OLB available, someone like Nigel Bradham of FSU (6-2, 4.67). He would back up Barnett, but more importantly, take over the role that Bryan Scott plays in passing situations. Given the 2 TE attack of the Pats, the Bills need someone with size and speed to cover (one of) those guys.

This focus on D again means the Bills must sign their important FAs on O--SJ, Bell, Chandler.

For external FAs, they should target Strong-side LB, WR, and CB.

It must be the offseason... :beer:

I dont see where or how Upshaw fits in this defense...he doesnt fit what Wannstadt has said he wants in d-lineman or LBs so I just dont see the Bills drafting him at 10

too small to play DE and too big to play LB in this defense if you believe what Wannstadt has said he prefers at those positions

I still think Coples is the best fit for what the Bills need and what he wants in a d-lineman

Edited by Max997

I like Upshaw - tough football player who appears to have the work ethic and attitude to be a contributor

in the NFL. I don't see him as much of an upgrade as a pass rushing DE, though. By his own account,

his main pass rush "move" is the bull-rush. While Upshaw is powerful, I have a hard time thinking that

a 6'2" 275lb DE is going to be as successful as he was in college trying to bull-rushing 6'5" 330 NFL LTs.

I don't know that I see enough athleticism there for him to develop many other counter moves.

With Upshaw and Kelsay at DE and Dareus and Williams in the middle, the pass plays will look a lot

like 4 DL trying to push 5 OL straight back. Collapsing the pocket can be a good thing, just tough to

rely on all the time.

Don't get me wrong, the Bills could do much worse than drafting Courtney Upshaw, but I struggle to

see him as a guy that will significantly upgrade the Bills pass rush. I think (*hope*) that there will be

another player available that can have a bigger impact at another position.

I like Upshaw - tough football player who appears to have the work ethic and attitude to be a contributor

in the NFL. I don't see him as much of an upgrade as a pass rushing DE, though. By his own account,

his main pass rush "move" is the bull-rush. While Upshaw is powerful, I have a hard time thinking that

a 6'2" 275lb DE is going to be as successful as he was in college trying to bull-rushing 6'5" 330 NFL LTs.

I don't know that I see enough athleticism there for him to develop many other counter moves.

With Upshaw and Kelsay at DE and Dareus and Williams in the middle, the pass plays will look a lot

like 4 DL trying to push 5 OL straight back. Collapsing the pocket can be a good thing, just tough to

rely on all the time.

Don't get me wrong, the Bills could do much worse than drafting Courtney Upshaw, but I struggle to

see him as a guy that will significantly upgrade the Bills pass rush. I think (*hope*) that there will be

The point I was trying to make is that if you see put him at LDE on 3rd downs (pass rushing situations in general) and insert Merriman (or whoever they would get in my R2 scenario), then you've upgraded.

Courtney Upshaw.

Like many here, I've been going back and forth on who should be the pick, and I finally have concluded Upshaw SHOULD be it. Here's why...

He's the most NFL ready, and will step in from day one as a starter. He is both a good pass rusher, and run defender. However, he lacks the "measurables" to be the pass rushing RDE...

Here's what I would hope to see. Standard front 4 of Kelsey, Dareus, Williams, Upshaw. However, in passing situations, I'd flip Upshaw to LDE in place of Kelsey, then use Merriman as strictly a pass rushing RDE; so passing situations would be Upshaw, Dareus, Williams, Merriman.

This brings me to R2. I'd select the best pure pass rusher available as insurance and backup to Merriman. This could be anyone from Perry, Brown, Branch, Curry, to Massaquoi.

Finally, in R3, I'd select the best pass defense OLB available, someone like Nigel Bradham of FSU (6-2, 4.67). He would back up Barnett, but more importantly, take over the role that Bryan Scott plays in passing situations. Given the 2 TE attack of the Pats, the Bills need someone with size and speed to cover (one of) those guys.

This focus on D again means the Bills must sign their important FAs on O--SJ, Bell, Chandler.

I think we may end up with Upshaw but I don't like your reasoning at all. Upshaw is a 3-4 OLB. We are moving to a 4-3 and need a DE or OLB. He comes from the wrong scheme and would be playing out of position. Not saying that he can't do it. It is however just more of an obstacle that he will have to over come. I know people love to hate Coples for some reason but he is a 4-3 DE that has even played some DT due to his ridiculous size.

Measurables are only part of the game I know but who would you rather have batting down passes at the line of scrimmage? Upshaw at 6'1" with short arms for his height or Coples at 6'6" with long arms for his height? Upshaw looks like a squat fire plug guy where as Coples looks like a rangy guy that can probably leap and out reach Upshaw by a full foot.

If we get Upshaw I'm cool with it but I say we use him at his natural position of OLB and teach him how to play it in the 4-3.

Edited by PDaDdy

Courtney Upshaw.

Please stop including Merriman as even a faint option. If the Bills brass is still thinking likewise they are incompetent.

I assumed he would not play last year. I assume the same this year. If I could get a bet in Vegas on Merriman over/under 7 regular season games, I'd bet the retirement money on under.

Edited by Kemp

Please stop including Merriman as even a faint option. If the Bills brass is still thinking likewise they are incompetent.

I assumed he would not play last year. I assume the same this year. If I could get a bet in Vegas on Merriman over/under 7 regular season games, I'd bet the retirement money on under.

WHAT!?!!? You mean Shawn "Good Gamble" Merriman who got off the juice over 6 years ago and hasn't done jack squat in the last 5 years can't be relied upon to contribute coming back from multiple off season surgeries? SHAME on you sir! Reckless faith unbound by reality and 5 years of history is the only option here.

People have argued with me until they are blue in the face that the Merriman signing was a good gamble and the $7.5 to $10.5 million he has gotten from us for nothing is no big deal. :sick:

I dont see where or how Upshaw fits in this defense...he doesnt fit what Wannstadt has said he wants in d-lineman or LBs so I just dont see the Bills drafting him at 10

too small to play DE and too big to play LB in this defense if you believe what Wannstadt has said he prefers at those positions.

Exactly.

1. Reiff

2. Crick

3. Ronnell

After talking to my buddy and askin ghim about Upshaw, he told me he would be a great run stuffer. The way he described him was like a Kelsay with talent. I asked him, do you think he can pass rush? it is not his specialty. Can he cover? yes but not well.

This friend is a huge SEC guy and watches everygame and breaks down film even...i know we been telling him to get a life for years.

My point is i like Upshaw, but wonder how he will fit in with the guys we already have? I would rather the Bills 'reach' and grab the best olb if he is not off the board.

1329764819[/url]' post='2385966']

rely on all the time.

Well said. That's how I feel. Very good football player. Not sure of he's what we're looking for. I may definitely be wrong, as I think he'll be productive.....just not sure he'd be a productive pass rusher with his hand on the ground at 4-3 DE

rely on all the time.

Well done.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Courtney Upshaw.

Not unreasonable. -But the Bills at this point need to draft the best available D front 7 talent with their first pick.

If Upshaw is that guy then fine.--If its a tie betw a lineman and a LB I'd go lineman.Build from insidest out. Merriman--after his new surgery-is nothing to plan around.Give him a shot but he is a long shot.With their 2nd pick same damn thing---best front 7 available.