Schefter tweet

Kevin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19(?) players had 1000 yards this year: you might he overrating that benchmark.

Maybe but the Bills haven't had a receiver with back to back 1000 yard receiving years since...ever. Which doesn't mean that there haven't been better receivers here but I'm also not acting like that's easily replaced. And how many of those 19 1000 yard receivers are UFAs this year? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I count 5 (Wallace, Welker, Colston, V.Jackson, Johnson). http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2012

And of those 5 Johnson is the youngest at 25.

Wallace is a RFA.

Edited by Pondslider

"SF knows where it needs help: 49ers expected to pursue a free-agent WR and use one of their top draft picks on another WR."

That was a tweet from Adam Schefter earlier in the day. I wonder what this means for the Bills and Stevie. Looks like the Bills may have some competition. Possible home town discount?

Anyone who watched SF in the playoffs could see that outside of Vernon Davis, the niners didn't have a viable receiving threat. Michael Crabtree is OK, but they need another guy, and most quality teams have 3 guys capable of making catches.

What other teams with notable free agents have resigned them to new contracts already?

I haven't seen one player get a contract extension yet this off-season. This isn't a Buffalo thing, it's league-wide, but we'll see what happens after the period to place tags expires.

Agreed.

The organization will continue its laughing stock status if they don't resing Steve/Replace him with a viable option.

I can't believe how people would still have optimism... It pisses me off how delusional people are when it comes to the team.

If SJ goes, then yes it's clear they're not interested in winning. And that'll be especially awesome if the Bills don't request to carry over their unused cap money of 21M from 2011 to 2012. I love it when people have to show their hand and this off-season they'll have to do plenty of it. Of course, they could carry over the money and then never use it, which we won't know until the regular season after ST's have been sold.

Maybe but the Bills haven't had a receiver with back to back 1000 yard receiving years since...ever. Which doesn't mean that there haven't been better receivers here but I'm also not acting like that's easily replaced. And how many of those 19 1000 yard receivers are UFAs this year? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I count 5 (Wallace, Welker, Colston, V.Jackson, Johnson). http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2012

And of those 5 Johnson is the youngest at 25.

Wallace is a RFA.

Considering the unrest we've had at qb and head coach and offensive schemes (and that 1000 yard seasons have become waaaaay more common the last 5-10 years.... ) first to get back to back isnt as awesome a stat as it used to be. And that said, moulds missed having 5 straight by what, like 50 yards? And 3 straight by like 5 yards in one year.... with 5500 yards or so over those 5 years. Andre had a near identical stretch in a much harder passing league.

It's nice that he's playing well, but hardly irreplaceable. I'd like to sign him but there's more than a couple guys we'd be good with.

Edited by NoSaint

lol, i love how people say that because he doesnt have a contract already he is good as gone... well then good bye demetrius bell, urbik, rinehart, parrish, chandler, andra davis, kirk morrison, torbor and bryan scott.. because they dont have a contract and they are as good as gone.

oh and fred jackson because we havent changed his contract yet... give me a break.

Edited by brenty

If SJ goes, then yes it's clear they're not interested in winning...

I absolutely agree with you.

As much as I rag on this front office, I don't think they're trying to lose on purpose. I also believe Stevie is a #2 WR in this league and not a #1 -- and I think the front office knows that too. Still, from a pure PR stand point I don't think they can let Stevie go unless another team bids an incredulous amount (I'd say the Bills would be nuts for spending over 8 mill a year on him, but I don't think he'd get that on the open market). Letting Stevie go would be creating another hole in an already suspect unit on a team with too many suspect units to begin with.

I hope, and I expect, Stevie to be resigned by the Bills.

The Bills need a first tier WR and a second tier WR- SJ is one of 4 WR FAs who fits as a first tier WR so you resign him or sign VJ, MC, DB- if you don't get one of the four then you might as well admit that you're a Mickey Mouse organization and have no serious plans to compete for a play-off spot anytime soon.

Who is gonna pay huge money to a guy who's known as much if not more for his antics than his on-field play? Bills know him best. Hard to think a team that doesn't know him as well is gonna take that chance. The guy made the league minimum his 1st 4 years. Doubt he's gonna turn down $9 million to hold out and hope someone gives up draft compensation and a lucrative long-term contract.

By the media. Scouts and GMs look past that and look at a players ability. I agree with others if he hasn't signed by now I think he's gone.

Agreed.

The organization will continue its laughing stock status if they don't resing Steve/Replace him with a viable option.

I can't believe how people would still have optimism... It pisses me off how delusional people are when it comes to the team.

Also, people forget that part of the reason that SJ/Fitz have such good chemistry is because they were second teamers at the same time and practiced a lot together. Losing SJ would not be good for Fitz.

I get the distinct impression that the Bills don't like to pay top dollar to 7th round draft picks....players that they took the time to develop over the years. Which makes no sense to me unless Johnson is asking for the farm, or is thinking he will get franchised @ 10 million a year.

If they don't sign Johnson they go into this next season with a WR who was ranked 61st in David Nelson

Stevie is gone

as they have done numerous times in the past, Bills need to cut him loose to justify blowing another top 10 pick on a "small" perimeter player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bills say they weren't going to franchise him? I just saw that tweet and thought immediately that they (SF) were going to target Stevie because he is a local guy. I hope he stays in Buffalo, but it seems to me that in this case no news is BAD news (for those of us that still want him in a Bills uniform).

Buddy did not state that he wouldn't. He merely said, "I don't want to get into that".

People forget that Stevie has freedom to run any route he wants in any way he wants to, within Chan Gailey's system. The system in place is perfect for a guy like Stevie and hopefully he will put that into consideration when he meet with other teams' OCs. His style of play might not be deemed viable by a structured OC.

I know money will be a factoc but I believe he will give the Bills their oportunity to match any contract offer he might get, unlike POS, sorry, POZ.

This wil be even more interesting due to San Fran being the team involved. As we know SF got in a bidding war for a former Bill last year. Whitner is now an all pro. They have to like what they see coming out of Buffalo but there is a twist. If they read boards like this, and some teams do, they would know that Whitner was not liked on this board yet excelled for them.

I would say although not unanimous, the overall sediment on SJ is positive. Will SF view that as an indicator that SJ will just be unstoppable or will they think since this board missed on Whitner that maybe we are missing on SJ too and that makes him a risk?

I personally hope we just sign SJ so this doesn't turn into watching another ex-Bill in the Pro Bowl.

I absolutely agree with you.

As much as I rag on this front office, I don't think they're trying to lose on purpose. I also believe Stevie is a #2 WR in this league and not a #1 -- and I think the front office knows that too. Still, from a pure PR stand point I don't think they can let Stevie go unless another team bids an incredulous amount (I'd say the Bills would be nuts for spending over 8 mill a year on him, but I don't think he'd get that on the open market). Letting Stevie go would be creating another hole in an already suspect unit on a team with too many suspect units to begin with.

I hope, and I expect, Stevie to be resigned by the Bills.

Stevie will probably easily get over 8 million per year. The top WRs are making 12-14 mil per season. That would put Stevie right in the 9-10 million range. There have been rumors floating around the interwebs that Mario Manningham will pull down 7 mil per season. Stevie is certainly better than him.

19(?) players had 1000 yards this year: you might he overrating that benchmark.

9 WRs have had 1,000 in each of the last 2 seasons. Stevie is 1 of those 9.