Larry Felser calls it a career

LabattBlue

I know Larry has only been a once a week contributor to the Buffalo News for a decade or so, but he is finally calling it a career.

Congrats to Larry on a great career. The days at the News with Felser, Carucci & Kelley are a distant memory....not to mention Monday Night QB with John Murphy on WBEN930.

Here's hoping you have many enjoyable and healthy retirement years.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/larry-felser/article728474.ece

Edited by LabattBlue

My grandfather and father both worked for the Courier,

so reading the morning paper was an important part of my family's morning routine.

That being side, as a kid I remember always trying to get my hands on the Buffalo Evening News to read the sports.

Felser was a must read.

During a time without smart phones, internet, 24/7 sports TV- the newspaper was our lifeblood for sports information.

Best wishes to Larry for a job well done!

I know Larry has only been a once a week contributor to the Buffalo News for a decade or so, but he is finally calling it a career.

Congrats to Larry on a great career. The days at the News with Felser, Carucci & Kelley are a distant memory....not to mention Monday Night QB with John Murphy on WBEN930.

Great writer and sports observer. He was one of Buffalo's finest and will be missed.

Great show. Before talk radio took over and the main goal was actually civil discussion and info as opposed to loud and controversial.

Felser has taken a lot of heat from people on this board in recent years, but I've always had great respect for his knowledge, insight, and writing. His contributions will be missed.

Thanks for starting this topic. I started following the Bills in '72, Saban's first year back, the last year of the Rockpile, and the beginning of OJ Simpson becoming a standout running back in the NFL. Every Monday after a game I would read Larry's column in the Buffalo Evening News with his commentary on the previous day's game, back when the News was an evening publication only. He covered this team through some very rough times and through it's glory years. His was an opinion I always respected because he based it on fact and not some of the snarky negativity you get today (Jerry Sullivan). I always enjoyed his show with John Murphy on WBEN as well and used to call them from time to time to discuss sports.

I am truly saddened. He was the last of them. Hell I still miss 'Fan TV' :-(

Larry Felser was one of the great sportswriters during his heyday. To this day he has national recognition and respect from fellow writers. He was a talented writer quite unlike today's internet tube homers with "league sources".

His columns on the Bills were must reads.In his book he outlines some of the best Bills moments he witnessed, with no shortage of amazing Gilchrist stories. Writers like him are becoming extinct now. He was good for Buffalo sports and obviously could have left for far greener pastures. His family was too big a deal for him to ever consider leaving Buffalo. Writers like Larry are simply not replaced, he's an icon.

"I had nothing to say and I said it."

While that may apply to the current generation of columnists at the News, it never characterized Felser's writing, which was based on actual hard work and contact with the people he covered. The same could be said for columnists like Jim Kelley, Phil Ranallo, Dick Johnson, etc.

Have a great retirement, Larry. I'll miss your Opinionated Days...

AFL Contributors