Bills Going 4/3 defense

Owen

I love the fact that we're switching back to the 43, for some many reasons. The main reason is may finally take advantage of Dareus and Williams' strengths, which is rushing the passer from the middle and collapsing the line. The next reason that it's simply too hard to find guys that fit in a 34 defense. Most colleges play out of a 4-3, therefore we have more guys to choose from. Kelsay is better off as a 43 end and during passing downs we can substitute Kelsay for Merriman. Now if we can just draft Whitney Mercilus, we should have the makings of a formidable front four.

With Merriman, Williams, Dareus and Mercilus on the line and Moats(on passing downs), Sheppard and Barnett at LBer, we should be able to put plenty of pressure on the quarterback making our entire defense better. I fully expect about 45 sacks, next year, if this were to go down like this. Can't wait!!!!

You made a lot of good points about the players the Bills missed on who could have made their 3-4 work.

But this post is way off track. Merriman hasn't played significant snaps in a couple years. He has 5 sacks TOTAL in the last 4 seasons. :doh:

And it's mainly because of recurring achilles problems that weren't supposed to be career threatening.

Kyle Williams missed last year with an achilles injury.

These aren't "routine" knee ligament injuries. Until proven otherwise, Kyle Williams is a question mark.

The people who are counting on Kyle Williams as the co-anchor of this 4-3 defense along with Dareus are taking a bit for granted.

Edited by Dick Drawn

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simmer down people, it's all good. We haven't lost much.

Last years D picks: (through 5 rds)

Dareus

A. Williams

Shepherd

Searcy

None of these guys are wasted in a 4-3.

Also, supposing Troup can play with strength after surgery he could be a good run stopping DT. Pat Williams & Ted Washington both played in 4-3 after leaving Buffalo.

And if Carrington slims down a little there's no reason he can't play LE. The only thing we've lost are possibly 5th & 6th rounders, who you don't typically rely on anyway.

You made a lot of good points about the players the Bills missed on who could have made their 3-4 work.

But this post is way off track. Merriman hasn't played significant snaps in a couple years. He has 5 sacks TOTAL in the last 4 seasons. :doh:

And it's mainly because of recurring achilles problems that weren't supposed to be career threatening.

Kyle Williams missed last year with an achilles injury.

These aren't "routine" knee ligament injuries. Until proven otherwise, Kyle Williams is a question mark.

The people who are counting on Kyle Williams as the co-anchor of this 4-3 defense along with Dareus are taking a bit for granted.

Where are you getting your kyle williams injury info? I've found nothing to suggest its an achilles. Everything simply says foot injury.

I still think you can draft Upshaw at #10. I don't care what the "scheme" says he fits or doesn't fit. Dude's a football player, plain and simple, something we don't have enough of.

TOTALLLY AGREE WITH YOU, BESIDES can you see him running free because he has a good de in front of him or sliding into a de spot,, id like to see it.. :thumbsup:

But, otherwise, this move looks like a precursor to Upshaw.

Very, Very Possible.

DraftTek's Next Analyst's Draft, computer used each Analyst's Positional Needs (ours are now set to 4-3):

1 10 Buffalo Courtney Upshaw OLB43 Alabama

2 42 Buffalo Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M

3 74 Buffalo Chandler Jones DE43 Syracuse (local guy means more Thruway fans)

4 105 Buffalo Leonard Johnson CB Iowa State (one of my favorite CB's in this draft BTW)

4 124 Buffalo Jordan White WRF Western Michigan (see below)

5 137 Buffalo Matt McCants OT UAB

6 169 Buffalo DaJohn Harris DT43 USC

7 200 Buffalo George Bryan TE North Carolina State

Jordan White:

They can pencil Sheppard in but he is a lesser player in a 4-3, IMO. Not a sideline-to-sideline guy. Not that instinctive either. It's a much bigger assignment and he didn't really set the league on fire as it was.

I strongly agree wrt Sheppard, which is why I broached the possibility of trading down and drafting Hightower, who I strongly feel will be an impact player as a rookie. That said, we would still be left with no outside pass rush. I have no idea where they will get outside pressure from. Kelsay? :wallbash:

Question: Given the rule changes, will we ever again see spectacular defenses? I am talking about the 85 Bears, Steel Curtain, or the SB Ravens. And for old-timers, the Chiefs with Lanier and Bell. :) Is defense going to become less valueable as the league shifts toward arena football?

Simmer down people, it's all good. We haven't lost much.

Last years D picks: (through 5 rds)

Dareus

A. Williams

Shepherd

Searcy

None of these guys are wasted in a 4-3.

Also, supposing Troup can play with strength after surgery he could be a good run stopping DT. Pat Williams & Ted Washington both played in 4-3 after leaving Buffalo.

And if Carrington slims down a little there's no reason he can't play LE. The only thing we've lost are possibly 5th & 6th rounders, who you don't typically rely on anyway.

I agree with nearly all of this...the only point, which isn't really a strong disagreement but Carrington can and SHOULD be playing the 4-3 DE position on nearly every down...they put him as the OLB at certain times and he's a beast, the dude can play 4-3 DE, he has the speed and size to do it...they should just pencil him in and then find a complimentary player

I strongly agree wrt Sheppard, which is why I broached the possibility of trading down and drafting Hightower, who I strongly feel will be an impact player as a rookie. That said, we would still be left with no outside pass rush. I have no idea where they will get outside pressure from. Kelsay? :wallbash:

Question: Given the rule changes, will we ever again see spectacular defenses? I am talking about the 85 Bears, Steel Curtain, or the SB Ravens. And for old-timers, the Chiefs with Lanier and Bell. :) Is defense going to become less valueable as the league shifts toward arena football?

I don't know if there will be a Bears-type defense again. For a lot of reseasons. The way teams play defense now is all about rushing the passer and playing the run along the way to the QB. The types of athletes that play the positions in the font 7 are a little different now. Teams ability to evaluate the draft are more even now, IMO. Free agency is coming sooner for new draft picks, which means less developmental time. Going to be hard to build that type of defense.

I don't know if there will be a Bears-type defense again. For a lot of reseasons. The way teams play defense now is all about rushing the passer and playing the run along the way to the QB. The types of athletes that play the positions in the font 7 are a little different now. Teams ability to evaluate the draft are more even now, IMO. Free agency is coming sooner for new draft picks, which means less developmental time. Going to be hard to build that type of defense.

Interesting, thanks. If I read this correctly, this would somewhat negate a 3/4 with a Ted Washington type nose, and actually be suited for a Bills defense with Dareus, and a hypothetically healthy Kyle Williams at the DT positions. But imo, we still need outside rushers who can beat OTs to have a better than average defense, let alone serious help at linebacker.

If we stay at 10, I do hope we can pick up a pass rusher or a LT, but I am almost sure they will draft a wideout. Knowing it's early, what do you see them going for in round 1?

If Troup can play after injury repaired? and Carrington can succeed at end that will be a big plus. I have big concern over Sheppard at mlb in 4-3 if we move Nick outside(he can play there just fine). Will we keep Morrison? Shepp seems to be suited to run plays and can probably call defense cuz he's a smart kid.

Heard had a good run late so if Troup is healthy we have a nice rotation for us. I feel D edwards might be left out and have concerns with Spencer Johnson. I like all these guys but we have to get the pass rush up and running. Is ther a chance we can gain that from two penetrators in K williams and MD. Sound s like T.T would prefer to not just fill gaps and rather get in the backfield with his 4-3 experience in college

I remember when Sheppard came out and was drafte dby the Bills it was because at the senior bowl he showed just how well he can play side line to side line. The Bills coaches were there the entire week. They saw enough to take him in the third and felt lik eit was a steal.

No whe was not Pat Willis his first season, but given a year to adjust to the NFL speed, he could prove a strong MLB

I like the switch, too, because of our personnel on the roster. HOWEVER - when Gailey said it becomes increasingly difficult to find those OLB's for the 3-4, that really irritates me! Hard to find? When were they looking? In the two years they've run this 3-4, when have they SERIOUSLY tried to pick up talent? That really irritates me! I mean, what are they REALLY saying? That DE's and 4-3 linebackers are easier to find IN THE LATE ROUNDS of drafts, OR AS LOW RANKING FREE AGENTS?

And, to have wasted 2 years on aquiring the talent - AND TO HAVE WASTED ALL OF LAST YEAR, KNOWING THEY ALREADY HAD WANNSTEDT ON THE PAYROLL AND STILL WENT AHEAD WITH THE "EXPERIMENT" OF GEORGE EDWARDS! I mean, it looks like they were trying to lose last year, with all this head scratching, non sensical stuff going on.

The one good thing that might come out of all this? If Wanny can make us a BIG 4-3, instead of a Tampa 2 type, using guys like Carrington and Spencer Johnson, and Moats, Searcy, keeping Brian Scott - then maybe we'll have an aggressive, cold-weather, outdoor defense that can hold up - something that Buddy Nix is not naive about, no matter what else his moves might suggest. That was my complaint all those years with the old 4-3 Tampa defense we ran - it was too small to hold up against the run, and our guys weren't intimidating anyone. And we were merely FOLLOWING a trend, which means that by the time we ran that defense, most of the NFL had built teams or schemes to beat it just fine. And we didn't ever aquire the best talent for that scheme, to begin with. I'd much rather have Wanny and Nix assemble a Big, Rarer version of the 4-3 that is capable of doing it all. So, let's hope they don't try to feed us the ol' - "it's gonna take a few years to aquire the right talent, BE PATIENT" - because my patience has long run out of this Franchise.

Edited by sllib olaffub