Bills Going 4/3 defense

Owen

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the switch, too, because of our personnel on the roster. HOWEVER - when Gailey said it becomes increasingly difficult to find those OLB's for the 3-4, that really irritates me! Hard to find? When were they looking? In the two years they've run this 3-4, when have they SERIOUSLY tried to pick up talent? That really irritates me! I mean, what are they REALLY saying? That DE's and 4-3 linebackers are easier to find IN THE LATE ROUNDS of drafts, OR AS LOW RANKING FREE AGENTS?

And, to have wasted 2 years on aquiring the talent - AND TO HAVE WASTED ALL OF LAST YEAR, KNOWING THEY ALREADY HAD WANNSTEDT ON THE PAYROLL AND STILL WENT AHEAD WITH THE "EXPERIMENT" OF GEORGE EDWARDS! I mean, it looks like they were trying to lose last year, with all this head scratching, non sensical stuff going on.

The one good thing that might come out of all this? If Wanny can make us a BIG 4-3, instead of a Tampa 2 type, using guys like Carrington and Spencer Johnson, and Moats, Searcy, keeping Brian Scott - then maybe we'll have an aggressive, cold-weather, outdoor defense that can hold up - something that Buddy Nix is not naive about, no matter what else his moves might suggest. That was my complaint all those years with the old 4-3 Tampa defense we ran - it was too small to hold up against the run, and our guys weren't intimidating anyone. And we were merely FOLLOWING a trend, which means that by the time we ran that defense, most of the NFL had built teams or schemes to beat it just fine. And we didn't ever aquire the best talent for that scheme, to begin with. I'd much rather have Wanny and Nix assemble a Big, Rarer version of the 4-3 that is capable of doing it all. So, let's hope they don't try to feed us the ol' - "it's gonna take a few years to aquire the right talent, BE PATIENT" - because my patience has long run out of this Franchise.

Well we have definitely gotten bigger. We have aquired leaders even at the rookie spots. As i said before and imagine others have also, this offseason-season is big. Connect the dots kind of thing. I dont think a commitment to 3-4 4-3 matters anymore. its about getting the right players on the field at the right time. Flexibilty is the future. Geez i am starting to sound like a manufacturing manager