Ryan Tannehill

Maddog69

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we don't have a defense and locked up our QB for the foreseeable future yes I would

I agree with you in principle, but I don't think it is as simple as that for a few reasons.

1.) if the Bills identify Tannehill as a franchise QB and as BPA, the pick makes sense since Fitz's contract is really more of a 3yr deal.

2.) what if they re-sign Stevie and D. Bell and sign Cliff Avril, Pierre Garcon and a stud LB (I know, I know. It's just a hypothetical)

I personally would prefer for them to take a starting LT, DE or LB in Rd1 but I could totally understand and get behind this pick especially if some of the other areas of need are addressed in FA.

I hope that someone in the top ten (Wash, Miami) reaches to grab him.

It just pushes more choices down to us...............

and not that it will ever happen, but it makes our number ten pick more valuable for trade downs and more picks......I can dream.

Since we don't have a defense and locked up our QB for the foreseeable future yes I would

Fitz isn't a franchise QB. A team without a franchise QB will, on average, win a Super Bowl once every 250 years. A team with a franchise QB will on average win a Super Bowl once every nine years.

Franchise QBs are almost impossible to obtain: a typical NFL team obtains a franchise QB once every 42 years. The four teams in the AFC East have each been around since around 1960. Between then and the present, the Bills have had one franchise QB (Kelly), the Jets one (Namath), the Patriots 1.5 (the first half of Bledsoe's career, plus Brady), and the Dolphins 2 (Griese and Marino). That's less than 1.5 franchise QBs per team over the last 50 years.

If you don't have a franchise QB, and if you have the chance to draft one, you do it. Period. There can be no possible question on that point. The only real question is whether Tannehill will or won't be a franchise QB.

Gil Brandt thinks Tannehill will go in the top 10. Would you be mad if the Bills took him and let him sit behind Fitz for a couple years?

First off, I don't believe he is a 1st round talent. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Secondly, we need to take someone in the 1st round that we believe wil step in and contribute day 1. I say believe, because god knows we have not picked wisely in the past. Believeing and doing are two different things. We are a team with multiple holes that need filling. let's fill those.

The problem is that "franchise" QB's (I do hate that term) come along pretty rarely. A lot of luck is involved in their development -- who knows how many great ones have been ruined in Cleveland or Detroit? Some are great players who struggle and finally emerge after their first couple of years (Bledsoe and Manning) but the best succeed with a decent team around them. Would Kelly have been as successful w/o his great teammates?

What I want in a QB is to see that he carried a team to a championship, not his physical tools or potential. The great ones were also great college QBs on winning teams, with only a few exceptions. I'm not really interested in rolling the dice at no. 10. Get a pash rusher.

Fitz isn't a franchise QB. A team without a franchise QB will, on average, win a Super Bowl once every 250 years. A team with a franchise QB will on average win a Super Bowl once every nine years.

Franchise QBs are almost impossible to obtain: a typical NFL team obtains a franchise QB once every 42 years. The four teams in the AFC East have each been around since around 1960. Between then and the present, the Bills have had one franchise QB (Kelly), the Jets one (Namath), the Patriots 1.5 (the first half of Bledsoe's career, plus Brady), and the Dolphins 2 (Griese and Marino). That's less than 1.5 franchise QBs per team over the last 50 years.

If you don't have a franchise QB, and if you have the chance to draft one, you do it. Period. There can be no possible question on that point. The only real question is whether Tannehill will or won't be a franchise QB.

First off, the Dolphins we established in 1967, not 1960. Secondly, if you are going back to 1960 then go all the way back. The Bills had Jack Kemp and the Patriots had Babe Parilli who in their day were both "franchise" QBs.

That said, youor argument that franchise QBs don't come along every day is correct. Of course, franchise QBs don't have to be taken in the 1st round. Neither Brady nor Griese were taken that high, but they made your list. The list of QBs taken in the first round is much higher that franchise QBs.

Ryan Tannehill is 2012'a Blaine Gabbert. Moved way up after several top tier guys didn't enter the draft. I would not be happy with this pick.

He is more like this year's Christian Ponder. A good prospect that was taken very early.

Gaine Blabbert was crap before and after the draft. Blabbert was more just draft-boy hype than substance. The Jags aren't known as great talent evaluators. I'm just glad the Bills were smart enough to stay away from that turd.

Tannehill is a different story, there is something raw there like Ponder with a higher ceiling.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I respect your opinion on Fitz' ability, while I believe he needs one more year for us to determine whether he's good or not. But...

Once every 250 years? How was that stat developed, and by whom? The Super Bowl has been in existence for only 40 years. I can think of several QBs in recent years who I wouldn't consider "franchised" having won the Big Game--Hostetler, Rypien and Dilfer.

Fitz is a franchise QB. He was given a six-year extension. The average tenure of an NFL QB is 4.44 years, according to the NFL. So, I'd say he is a franchise QB. Whether or not he's a good one is up for debate.

I don't think any Bills fan should get their hopes up next season of us drafting a QB in the first three rounds unless Luck is miraculously available.

Fitz, the Bills have said, time and time again, is our guy. He has yet to have a full season, with a full offseason, as the starter. Let's give the guy one more year to see if the first half of this season was a fluke or if the second half was one.

The Bills have glaring needs at pass rush, O line and receiver. Those are our needs, not QB. If we evaluate talent right, those three missing pieces will likely put us in contention next season for a playoff run. This fan is sick of rebuilding. I want to be watching the Bills once again taking the field in January 2013. Spending a first-round pick at No. 10 on a QB will more than likely make this dream impossible.

Gil Brandt thinks Tannehill will go in the top 10. Would you be mad if the Bills took him and let him sit behind Fitz for a couple years?

Mad? Shocked and appalled would probably be a more appropriate description. Tannehill is talented, but he is raw and still needs time to learn how to be an NFL QB. While he possesses all the physical attributes needed to be successful, I seriously question the "mental aspect" of his skill set. With all of our needs this offseason, we can't afford to use the #10 pick on a guys who is going to sit on the bench. Some teams have that luxury, IMO we do not at this time.

I'd prefer we hold off and take a developmental QB like Nick Foles in the 4th round.

whoever they pick at #10 must step right in and play and contribute significantly. Nuff said. No qb selected in the top 10 sits

I think this is the main difference between Fans and NFL Decisiion makers. Fans look at the draft as a means to fill immediate holes whereas NFL Execs look at it as a means for selecting the players they feel will have the best, most productive careers over the long term.

I think what you are suggesting is very short sighted. We should be looking at the draft as a means to build a perpetually competitive team not just a means of filling next years roster.

Edited by Maddog69