Super Bowl Party Planning thread

Just Jack

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time, since the early 70's, I am likely not going to be able to watch the Super Bowl, not live anyways. A co-worker of mine (the second since New Years Eve) passed away last weekend... he is a Canadian by birth, so his funeral is in Canada. For some odd reason (I am perplexed), they chose to have a memorial for him here, on Sunday, Feb. 5th, at 5:30pm. I'm really gonna miss the little Canuck.

Luckily, for me, I am already taking the day after the Super Bowl off from work. Ever since the Bills were SB perennials, I have made the day after the "big" game a personal holiday. So I will be watching the game, late into the night...by myself. It will be odd...maybe I will cook up some wings, just for me!

Edited by Buftex

For the first time, since the early 70's, I am likely not going to be able to watch the Super Bowl, not live anyways. A co-worker of mine (the second since New Years Eve) passed away last weekend... he is a Canadian by birth, so his funeral is in Canada. For some odd reason (I am perplexed), they chose to have a memorial for him here, on Sunday, Feb. 5th, at 5:30pm. I'm really gonna miss the little Canuck.

Luckily, for me, I am already taking the day after the Super Bowl off from work. Ever since the Bills were SB perennials, I have made the day after the "big" game a personal holiday. So I will be watching the game, late into the night...by myself. It will be odd...maybe I will cook up some wings, just for me!

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Is your avatar a reference to the Salinger story? I've always like that one. I considered the name Esme for my daughter, but Mommy wouldn't go for it.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Is your avatar a reference to the Salinger story? I've always like that one. I considered the name Esme for my daughter, but Mommy wouldn't go for it.

Esme Barrera was my friend, co-worker, who was murdered on New Year's Eve. She was a great kid (only 29!). Murdered by, what is looking like, a serial predator, in her own house, after coming home from New Years celebrating... I live in Austin...she was a staple of the local music scene, not a muscician or performer, but the ultimate supporter of local music. She taught special needs kids, and was a volunteer at the Girls Rock Camp.

The way her life was ended, by some random attacker is just heartbreaking...we are still sort of in shock. One of her favorites was Ted Leo. When he heard of her passing, he changed his shcedule, and is coming to Austin to do a benefit concert for her family, this Saturday. Jeez...getting choked up just writing about it...if I was lucky enough to have a daughter, Esme would be her name...assuming I could get mommy to go along with it! ;)

Nice article about her, from the local fish-wrap:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2012-01-13/excited-about-life/

We lost another co-worker just 3 weeks later....last time I saw him was at a memorial for Esme.

Edited by Buftex

Esme Barrera was my friend...

Wow!

That's a good article. And she seems like an amazing person. I've always thought Esme was a beautiful name. Sounds like it fit your friend very well.

It just absolutely sucks the damage & destruction that can come from one person's broken brain. It's pretty inspiring to learn a little about Esme's life though. And it's awesome how loved and appreciated she is.

Wow!

That's a good article. And she seems like an amazing person. I've always thought Esme was a beautiful name. Sounds like it fit your friend very well.

It just absolutely sucks the damage & destruction that can come from one person's broken brain. It's pretty inspiring to learn a little about Esme's life though. And it's awesome how loved and appreciated she is.

Thanks...looks like they likely found the guy who did it...dead...suicide!

http://www.kutnews.org/post/police-say-esme-barrera-murder-suspect-dead

Edited by Buftex

Esme Barrera was my friend, co-worker, who was murdered on New Year's Eve. She was a great kid (only 29!). Murdered by, what is looking like, a serial predator, in her own house, after coming home from New Years celebrating... I live in Austin...she was a staple of the local music scene, not a muscician or performer, but the ultimate supporter of local music. She taught special needs kids, and was a volunteer at the Girls Rock Camp.

The way her life was ended, by some random attacker is just heartbreaking...we are still sort of in shock. One of her favorites was Ted Leo. When he heard of her passing, he changed his shcedule, and is coming to Austin to do a benefit concert for her family, this Saturday. Jeez...getting choked up just writing about it...if I was lucky enough to have a daughter, Esme would be her name...assuming I could get mommy to go along with it! ;)

Nice article about her, from the local fish-wrap:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2012-01-13/excited-about-life/

We lost another co-worker just 3 weeks later....last time I saw him was at a memorial for Esme.

That's really terrible--my condolences.

Makes me frightened too--my sister is a 29-year old single living in Austin (my guess not far from this incident).

my friend is a great chef.

who knows exactly what he will make.

last year he had among other appetizers, some shrimp in a limey and spicy sauce. damn, they were awesome. i would love some sushi this year. homemade sushi is good too if you know how to make it.

most years we grill steak and dogs for the chumps. chumps=kids

i'll brind the usual. chips, sodas, energy drinks and tequila or whiskey. still not sure about which alcohol to take.

damn i hope the giants spank the nep.