Victor Cruz/Stevie Johnson

Cruz reminds me a lot of Stevie. Seems to have the same body control/motion. Moves his shoulders well, gets out of breaks well, changes speed and direction well with and without the ball. I see Stevie and Fitz working well together for several years if they can get him resigned and come up with a decent #2.

Welcome your thoughts on Cruz...

Well I think Cruz makes bigger plays drops less passes so He's better than Stevie now but hopefully SJ takes his game to another level.

Agree. Plus Cruz seems to have that break-away gear that we havent seent from Stevie.

Also, is Stevie really a "number 1?" Not wanting to get into a debate over what that term means, but I dont think Cruz would be considered the Giants #1 (Nicks?), which is part of why he gets so many looks. Maybe we should say that SJ will improve when the Bills get a #1.

Edited by maddenboy

Agree. Plus Cruz seems to have that break-away gear that we havent seent from Stevie.

Also, is Stevie really a "number 1?" Not wanting to get into a debate over what that term means, but I dont think Cruz would be considered the Giants #1 (Nicks?), which is part of why he gets so many looks. Maybe we should say that SJ will improve when the Bills get a #1.

Agreed.

Big difference is that Stevie is a taller than Cruz, and has shown the ability to sky for some balls most WRs could not catch.

They list Cruz at 6'0" and honestly, I think that may be a generous to say the least - he looked absolutely tiny in the huddle next to Manning who is 6'4". The difference looked like a LOT more than 4" to me.

Stevie looks and plays like every bit of his 6'2".

Edited by BobChalmers

Agreed.

Big difference is that Stevie is a taller than Cruz, and has shown the ability to sky for some balls most WRs could not catch.

They list Cruz at 6'0" and honestly, I think that may be a generous to say the least - he looked absolutely tiny in the huddle next to Manning who is 6'4". The difference looked like a LOT more than 4" to me.

Stevie looks and plays like every bit of his 6'2".

Looks like he was 5'11 1/2 at the combine

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=19548&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

Edit: On closer review of the link, maybe he wasnt at the combine. Instead, it looks like they took his Pro Day numbers and dropped them into the "combine results" column, because there's no 40 times, etc., under his combine results, and all wrs run the 40 at the combine.

So then, how much "fudging" can be done with Pro Day numbers? I assume its NFL people who are doing the measurements, so maybe its legit-ish.

Edited by maddenboy

The big differences I see are:

1) SJ is taller.

2) VC catches the big ones.

3) VC has a QB that can throw accurately, particularly deep.

4) VC does not feel the need to take stupid "look at me" penalties.

They do both manage to get open and seem to be the go to guys for their respective QBs.

1) SJ is taller.

They do both manage to get open and seem to be the go to guys for their respective QBs.

1, 2, 3 are all good valid points. Stevie has caught some big ones though and I've seen Cruz drop or miss out on a decent pass or two that would have been big plays. The fact us ALL wrs do it. Especially ones that are good and get thier number called often like Cruz and Stevie. I'd say the biggest pointbis that the Giants WR core is better than ours and so is thier QB so Cruz is better probably but what would it look like if the riles were reversed? And to you last point about the look at me celebrations/penalties. Stevie got called on one against the Jets that was very dumb. His shirt celebration last year didn't call for a penalty (regardless if it should have or not) so he was under the impression that it would coat Him a fine this year as well. Can't blame him for the NFL not being consistant. If anything I blame Gailey for benching him the entire ge when they were up by 21 and looking like theyvwere gonna sweep the Patsies. And on to Victor Cruz' celebrations, he has a TD dance that he does every time he scores. It's so bad it's all they talk about on NYC radio and they play salsa music at the stadium when he scores. It's honestly no different.

And to you last point about the look at me celebrations/penalties. Stevie got called on one against the Jets that was very dumb. His shirt celebration last year didn't call for a penalty (regardless if it should have or not) so he was under the impression that it would coat Him a fine this year as well. Can't blame him for the NFL not being consistant. If anything I blame Gailey for benching him the entire ge when they were up by 21 and looking like theyvwere gonna sweep the Patsies. And on to Victor Cruz' celebrations, he has a TD dance that he does every time he scores. It's so bad it's all they talk about on NYC radio and they play salsa music at the stadium when he scores. It's honestly no different.

The bad salsa dance is not using a prop and therefore not against the current rules is the difference.

Personally I'd like to see all the celebrations end. Is it really necessary to dance around every time they make a tackle, catch, or first down? And act like a clown at the gay pride parade when they score a TD? It looks more like WWE than a sport to me when that happens. If they REALLY feel the need to do this, at least take it behind your bench so the game can continue while you are putting on your dance recital.

Stevie is a nice possession receiver. Cruz is in another league than Stevie. Reminds me of Moulds in his prime. Could make an argument that Cruz has been the MVP of the League the last 2 months

I'd like to see what SJ could do with the Giants' other receivers playing with him. Nicks is a very good receiver in his own right and Manningham has shown flashes as well. Their receiving core is way more talented than Buffalo's. Because of that, Cruz rarely faces double teams.

The Bills need to re-sign SJ and add another talent at their position. Fitz and SJ would both greatly benefit from someone other than a UDFA playing.

Cruz reminds me a lot of Stevie. Seems to have the same body control/motion. Moves his shoulders well, gets out of breaks well, changes speed and direction well with and without the ball. I see Stevie and Fitz working well together for several years if they can get him resigned and come up with a decent #2.

Victor Cruz is clutch. Eli is much better than Fitz.

Stevie is a nice possession receiver. Cruz is in another league than Stevie. Reminds me of Moulds in his prime. Could make an argument that Cruz has been the MVP of the League the last 2 months

+1

Cruz is much better. Johnson getting 10-142 against a top defense in a rainy playoff game? Never happen.

1) SJ is taller.

I agree with everything but #4. The NFL celebration rules are rediculous. The "Leap" in Green Bay is "grandfathered" in so all the cheesheads can celebrate legally. Cruz can do his rediculous salsa dance every time he gets into the endzone, but there is no penality because it's only a penalty if you use a "prop." Totally arbitrary rediculous rule. Lifting up your shirt to say "Happy New Years" is no more "look at me" than doing a dance every time you reach the end zone. Or dunking the ball into the feild goal post like Grankowski, and how exactly is that not using a prop (the ball or the feild goal post) to celebrate? People need to lay off Steve. He just needs to understand these rediculous NFL rules better.

+1

Cruz is much better. Johnson getting 10-142 against a top defense in a rainy playoff game? Never happen.

Um, SJ had 8 catches for 158 yard and 1 td against the Ravens last year. He also had 11 catches for 145 yards agains the Bears as well. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9001/gamelog;_ylt=ApRTC2Z_TIkudtTvE4Pl6Kb.uLYF?year=2010 Both were playoff teams and top defenses.

But hey, any chance we get to dog a Bill, let's make sure we take it. :thumbsup:

Funny thing is ELi threw 25 INTs last year. Eli is better than Fitz but also plays with a much better supporting cast and has a really good defense. If anything, Eli shows why you don't give up QBs too quick.

I don't want this to turn into a Fitz thread (so, I suppose I shouldn't have brought him up :D ), but he is in the same league as Eli in name only.

Of course the same could be said for Cruz and Johnson though Johnson is closer in terms of ability than is Fitz.

I don't want this to turn into a Fitz thread (so, I suppose I shouldn't have brought him up :D ), but he is in the same league as Eli in name only.

Of course the same could be said for Cruz and Johnson though Johnson is closer in terms of ability than is Fitz.

Physically wise, Manning is head and shoulders above Fitz. He jsut has a much better arm. But Manning threw 31 tds to 25 ints last season. That's not much better than Fitz' 24 td to 23 ints (inflated because ofhis 4 ints to end the season).

My problem with judging QBs is people don't look at the big picture. Manning is better but ther are other factors. The Giants probably have the best front 4 in the NFL. Thus, the game isn't always on the offense to win. Fitz has to carry this team because of a bad defense. Furthermore, Manning has a top 5 receiving core. Fitz throws to 7th rounders and UDFAs.

Obviously, the Giants got hot at the right time but I definitely believe Fitz would have a stronger year on the Giants. They simply are a much better team than the Bills. but 6-10 (with a fg lost to the Giants) isn't that far off from 9-7.

Huh? These are two completely different players. Cruz has more speed, more leaping ability, better hands, and more strength. Stevie is a better route runner, but not by a lot as Cruz is a pretty good route runner himself. If I could take one or the other I would take Cruz who has more athletic ability, comes up bigger, doesnt disappear nearly as much as SJ.