Donte Whitner - SUCKED TODAY

major

He's one win from the SB. That's 100% the only thing that matters.

:thumbsup: True. Not every player on a team that wins the Super Bowl is great. Some are just fortunate enough to be along for the ride. Ask Trent Dilfer. :thumbsup:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get the whitner distain. I watch the whole game and he pretty much looked like he always did in buf. Great plays in run support, some big hits, and hs struggled covering a superstar tightend, played the ball poorly in the air. He was solid in coverage most of the game.

That is the book on him, a good strong safety who shouldnt have been a top 10 draft pick. But he still gets to compete for a shot at the Lombardi.

But he still gets to compete for a shot at the Lombardi.

I keep reading this throughout the thread. Any player who leaves the Bills instantly has a better chance of going to the super bowl. It's not like Lil Donte is making a difference. He's the 11th best player on that defense. Lil Donte is to that defense as Ringo Starr is to the Beatles.

Edited by John Cocktosten

Re-watch the highlights and you'll see Whitner out of place on almost every play. His number is 31 and he made mistakes ALL day. Talking about Whitner feels like beating a dead horse.

This. And he was completely juked out of his jock on the Sproles touchdown play. It was hilarious. He looked like a 50 year old man trying to make that tackle.

Whitner is not good. I'm glad he's not a Bills based on his average play. Add his whiny Bills-bashing to that, and I actively root against him. He's a chode-licking little beeotch.

Re-watch the highlights and you'll see Whitner out of place on almost every play. His number is 31 and he made mistakes ALL day. Talking about Whitner feels like beating a dead horse.

And yet here you are waving your whiffle bat around in the air.

1326635263[/url]' post='2363709']

I keep reading this throughout the thread. Any player who leaves the Bills instantly has a better chance of going to the super bowl. It's not like Lil Donte is making a difference. He's the 11th best player on that defense. Lil Donte is to that defense as Ringo Starr is to the Beetles.

Who are the Beetles?

Donte looked like he did every game with us -some good plays, some bad plays, a couple great plays and and a couple terrible plays. I don't miss him but wish him well.

My father, who has never seen this board, and has no ill feelings for any football player, nor does he even know who #31 for the 49ers for that matter, said out loud , "That #31 isn't very good, he's going to cost the 49ers the game"

I don't hate ex players, but Donte Whitner looked terrible, I couldn't believe how out of position he was on nearly every play in the 2nd half. I was going to come onto this board this morning and start a thread to all those people who think that every player the bills let go is world class and we should have kept him.

Parting ways with Whitner was exactly what the Bills needed to do, he almost cost the 49ers the game, and did so countless times for the Bills.

P.S. Mcgahee looked pedestrian as well, and the point that they are in the playoffs is beyond irrelevant.

in fact, my short list of eternally happy they are departed from our roster are as follows:

1. Mcgahee

2. Marshawn Lynch

3. Donte Whitner

All time list folks....all. time. list.

This is not hate towards whitner, I was just tired of how bad he actually was. The other 2 are barely average players who marginally fill roster spots.

Which rule did he break? Thomas lowered his own head.

Whitner led with his helmet. And Thomas lowering his head doesn't matter, or at least hasn't in the past.

Yeah I'd be surprised if Donte's check wasn't a bit lighter on Wednesday.

But that being said, that play did change the game.

Yeah I'd be surprised if Donte's check wasn't a bit lighter on Wednesday.

But that being said, that play did change the game.

He wasn't a defenseless player. He lowered his head to defend himself in fact. Helmet to helmet isn't a rule. One of the biggest mistakes the NFL made in the last decade was coining that phrase instead of defenseless player.

Edited by NoSaint

I liked whitner as a player. He was solid for us. But when he made a mistake, he really made a mistake.

With that said, our defense would not be better with him. If there is any drop off with Wilson, it is very small. And.I think that searcy kid has potential. Donte was better than fans gave him credit for, but this is one of the few times we let a player walk while we had a just as good enough replacement on the roster already. So I think that the front office did a fine job with that part. Too bad they have let other players walk with no replacement plan over the years.

He's one win from the SB. That's 100% the only thing that matters.

Yes - and every player on every team that wins a Super Bowl is better than every player who isn't.

This is the same logic that says the only way to measure QB's is by their w/l record extended to a whole new level of complete idiocy.

If only the Bills had Timmy Smith and Doug Williams instead of Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly - who knows how great the Bills could have been.

:wallbash:

Edited by BobChalmers

He didn't suck that bad...he absolutely destroyed a Saints player near the goalline, knocking the dude completely out with a hard hit resulting in a fumble the 49ers recovered and likely preventing a Saints TD. Then he destroyed Devery Henderson with a block after another Brees INT, although it was called back because it was ruled down by contact...didn't see a lot of the game, but the fumble he caused was a huge play in the game, especially considering the final score and where the Saints were on the field when it happened...

:thumbsup:

He could have played better but he definitely didn't suck as the OP claims.

:thumbsup:

He could have played better but he definitely didn't suck as the OP claims.

Without some of his big plays early, the team might not have even had a lead for him to lose late. As backwards as that sounds in patting a guy on the back- if the saints score 7 and keep pt, and a couple of other plays go the other way - that game could have run away from the 49ers fast - take out that 17-0 lead that he was huge in building and drop 7-14 on the saints side instead.... Could've been ugly. He played great early. He set a tone and made huge game changing plays. Yea, he whiffed a few late but I think taking the fan glasses off he netted out a good game.

Edited by NoSaint

He wasn't a defenseless player. He lowered his head to defend himself in fact. Helmet to helmet isn't a rule. One of the biggest mistakes the NFL made in the last decade was coining that phrase instead of defenseless player.

Donte lead with the Crown of his helmet.

It used to be called "spearing" and it was never legal.

It doesn't matter if the player is defenseless or not you can not drive the crown of your helmet into another player.

Tackling 101:

1.) Head up - See your target

3.) Wrap Up - Contain the player

2.) Drive through the player to the ground

Donte was head down using his helmet as a weapon, just wait until the fines hit later this week.

Donte lead with the Crown of his helmet.

It used to be called "spearing" and it was never legal.

It doesn't matter if the player is defenseless or not you can not drive the crown of your helmet into another player.

Tackling 101:

1.) Head up - See your target

3.) Wrap Up - Contain the player

2.) Drive through the player to the ground

Donte was head down using his helmet as a weapon, just wait until the fines hit later this week.

Once pierre went low and lowered his own head, donte had to get low too. I'd be surprised if the fine comes. Not shocked but I truly think it was the right call on the field. Pt23 is the one that forced the play to be helmet contact. Donte would have to be about 18 inches off the ground to have gotten a shoulder into the body to wrap up.