Four-pronged formula - key positions

San-O

Super bowl winning GB packers?

Qb: rodgers

LT: 2x probowler and 10 year starter Chad Clifton

DE: run the 34 so ill go with Matthews at OLB

CB: Woodson and Williams

Texans arent far off with schuab, all pro LT Duane brown, Mario Williams (or pass Rusher du jour since his injury) and Jonathan joseph

I don't think many teams kill it at all 4 but if you can be above average at all 4 it's pretty good for your chances

Gee, that's a lot of first rounders you just listed. How did they find extra first round picks to use on runnin' bax like the Buffalo Bills?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had read a similar article or published paper a couple years ago, regarding the four key position concept. Seems like in today's game being so pass oriented, this would be even more important.

Buffalo basically has nobody at these keys positions that and has not for over a decade now. When I say nobody I mean:

1. True franchise QB. Fitz is a backup IMO.

2. True LT. Peters is gone I know.

3. Pass Rushing DE: Schobel was OK.

4. Lockdown corner: The Bills have had some good ones over the years, but you can't really over pay and I understand that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11812689

Be sure to checkout the point scale at bottom of page.

:blink:

and some OLBs and a elite WR: (too late for point scale)

1. CB Dre Kirkpatrick 6'2" 198

2. QB Ryan T-hill 6'4" 225

3. LT Andrew Datko 6'6" 325

4. OLB Tank Carder 6'2" 237

4. WR Tommy Streeter 6'5" 215 4.4 - 40

5. DE Cardarro Law 6'2" 270

Texans arent far off with schuab, all pro LT Duane brown, Mario Williams (or pass Rusher du jour since his injury) and Jonathan joseph

I don't think many teams kill it at all 4 but if you can be above average at all 4 it's pretty good for your chances

Clifton is almost done, and their pass D is among the league's worst...

As for the Texans, they win because they have great systems. Their only blue-chipper is Mario, and they won without him this year.

Interesting Theory but not universal. I would argue that the Jets attempted to follow this formula. One could argue that Sanchez is the weak link

The Patsies seem to defy the formula. They do not have a premier pass rusher, a LT that is considered premier and no lockdown corners. They have a QB who can carry a team on his back.

I think the above clearly reflect the importance of the QB in the equation. It all starts there.

He led the league in picks/INTs, is inaccurate and questionable arm strength.

I like Fitz, just not starting.

Fitz is a guy who will chuck it and give his WRs a chance to make plays. If the WRs do not make plays, as ours didn't, the ball is just there for the pick. I'm not saying it's not on Fitz. I'm just saying he's a guy who will improve with better TE and WR play.

He is serviceable until we get the defense respectable.

There's no question QB, pass rusher, LT, CB and WR are the premier positions in the NFL. In two years of rebuilding, Nix has found little if anything here, mostly taking what was handed to him and getting it to 10 wins total over that time.

Do you even think before you post? Or do you just take whatever anyone says and apply a big fat negative spin on it?

Little if anything?

REALLY!?

Over the past two years, The Bills have managed to put a former 7th round pick in his 3rd and 4th years in a position to be one of the best, if not THE BEST receiver in Bills history (statistically).

Aaron Williams? No? "Little if anything?"

There's half your theory, gone. Debunked. Eliminated. Out the window.

QB and LT are up for debate. I'm not going to bother spinning anything in order to do so, so I'll just say what the plain truth is:

THERE ARE LESS THAN 10 TEAMS IN THE NFL WHO HAVE ELITE TALENT AT QB.

THERE ARE LESS THAN 5 TEAMS IN THE NFL WHO HAVE ELITE TALENT AT LT.

THE NUMBER OF TEAMS WHO HAVE ELITE TALENT AT BOTH QB AND LT IS PRACTICALLY NON-EXISTANT.

"In two years of rebuilding, Nix has found little if anything..." UNBELIEVABLE.

Clifton is almost done, and their pass D is among the league's worst...

As for the Texans, they win because they have great systems. Their only blue-chipper is Mario, and they won without him this year.

JJ Watt looks like a stud. Dameco Ryans is a stud. Brian Cushing is a stud. Jonathan Joseph is a stud. And the Texans have some decent role players filling in the gaps. They also have that 1990 Giants style offense that can go far. Different blocking scheme, but it's all run /play action. Don't sleep on the Texans.

1326406300[/url]' post='2361785']

I'd like to see a breakdown of Interceptions thrown and the point differential at the time of the interception.

I can think of about 5 that were thrown when the Bills were already blown out and down by 20+ points in the late 3rd and 4th.

So yeah Fitz is still trying to come back. I don't if that is the same as a Jay Cutler type of Interception Lead where the guy just makes poor decisions Qtr 1-4 no matter what the score.

Yeah, he's awesome. Take into account one of the reason his team was losing is because he couldn't put any tds on the board through the first couple quarters. Yes, our defense was bad, but our offense was just as inconsistent during the losing streak. We were bad on 3rd down. We were bad in the red zone (if we were lucky enough to get there). Our only win in the last 9 games was due too our defense btw. You want him as your franchise qb? You got him. Sucks for the majority of us who see through the mirage that was his first 3 games. He's not very good, he isn't a leader on the sidelines and his arm wears down as the season goes on. He's a good backup. Less than average starter. Pass.

1326465570[/url]' post='2362130']

Interesting Theory but not universal. I would argue that the Jets attempted to follow this formula. One could argue that Sanchez is the weak link

The Patsies seem to defy the formula. They do not have a premier pass rusher, a LT that is considered premier and no lockdown corners. They have a QB who can carry a team on his back.

I think the above clearly reflect the importance of the QB in the equation. It all starts there.

JJ Watt looks like a stud. Dameco Ryans is a stud. Brian Cushing is a stud. Jonathan Joseph is a stud. And the Texans have some decent role players filling in the gaps. They also have that 1990 Giants style offense that can go far. Different blocking scheme, but it's all run /play action. Don't sleep on the Texans.

I'm not, but Schaub is a system quarterback. He does NOT have elite skills. Yates is proving that point.

Yeah, he's awesome. Take into account one of the reason his team was losing is because he couldn't put any tds on the board through the first couple quarters. Yes, our defense was bad, but our offense was just as inconsistent during the losing streak. We were bad on 3rd down. We were bad in the red zone (if we were lucky enough to get there). Our only win in the last 9 games was due too our defense btw. You want him as your franchise qb? You got him. Sucks for the majority of us who see through the mirage that was his first 3 games. He's not very good, he isn't a leader on the sidelines and his arm wears down as the season goes on. He's a good backup. Less than average starter. Pass.

False statements in bold.

Unsubstantiated clause struck through.

Ironic Catch-22 statement in Italic. Tom Brady is a good back up, too. So is Drew Brees.

Tremendous understatement underlined.

1326467396[/url]' post='2362161']

False statements in bold.

Unsubstantiated clause struck through.

Ironic Catch-22 statement in Italic. Tom Brady is a good back up, too. So is Drew Brees.

Tremendous understatement underlined.

Fitz IS very good? He IS a leader on the sideline (while he sulks all by himself)? His arm didnt have noticeably less zip and accuracy as the season went on?

Are you serious? It's been a key position for quite some time. Why do you think LT goes top 5 and centers last til the end of the round, or there paychecks are so much higher? Is that a result of gms watching the blindside?

There's no logic to it. It's such a low impact position and many teams succeed without a first day pick a the spot. The last 2 LTs picked in the top 5 have done nothing for their teams. Zero inmpact.

So no… every team would like a great LOT but in truth there aren't any at the moment and as such, you don't need one to win a Super Bowl.

Exactly.

The bolded have combined for the worst pass defense in NFL history.

Fitz IS very good? He IS a leader on the sideline (while he sulks all by himself)? His arm didnt have noticeably less zip and accuracy as the season went on?

Answers:

2. You're splitting rhetorical hairs. Next:
  3. Yes, he is a leader on the sidelines. No, you don't have a special TV camera that shows him at every waking moment. Yes, every player on that offense and every coach says--unprompted--"Fitz is our leader." Remember that quote ever said about JP or Trent? Me neither.
  4. You're seeing what you want to see. He lost nothing on his "fastball." His accuracy never substantially dipped. He threw just as many clunkers at season's end as he did at the beginning. At no point was his clunker volume comparatively prolonged.

Do you even think before you post? Or do you just take whatever anyone says and apply a big fat negative spin on it?

Little if anything?

REALLY!?

Over the past two years, The Bills have managed to put a former 7th round pick in his 3rd and 4th years in a position to be one of the best, if not THE BEST receiver in Bills history (statistically).

Aaron Williams? No? "Little if anything?"

There's half your theory, gone. Debunked. Eliminated. Out the window.

QB and LT are up for debate. I'm not going to bother spinning anything in order to do so, so I'll just say what the plain truth is:

THERE ARE LESS THAN 10 TEAMS IN THE NFL WHO HAVE ELITE TALENT AT QB.

THERE ARE LESS THAN 5 TEAMS IN THE NFL WHO HAVE ELITE TALENT AT LT.

THE NUMBER OF TEAMS WHO HAVE ELITE TALENT AT BOTH QB AND LT IS PRACTICALLY NON-EXISTANT.

"In two years of rebuilding, Nix has found little if anything..." UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm not going to argue with you. You've been so frequently wrong on nearly every debate I've seen you enter in the past few years it's unfathomable.

Besides, I'm still waiting for that baby. Two years of rebuilding and 10 wins. What's there to debate?

I'm not, but Schaub is a system quarterback. He does NOT have elite skills. Yates is proving that point.

I think there are 3 HOF QBs playing right now: Brady, Manning and Brees. You don't have to be HOF to be elite. To me, an elite QB wins the game and doesn't do irresponsible stuff that may lose the game. Elite QBs sometimes look like rookie Ben Roethlisburger, Trent Dilfer or Mark Rypien. Despite not matching up to Brady or either Manning, Schaub could be a Rypien. I think Yates will hurt them in the end. The thing that we like about Fitz is the thing that may prevent him from being elite. Whereas Edwards was afraid to throw the ball, Fitz just chucks it and hopes for the best. He also misses too many deep throws.

When Eli Manning won the SB in '07 his numbers were very average....his QB rating was worse than Fitz's this year and he threw 20 INTs that year with much better WR talent around him. So YES you can win a SB with average QB play IF you have a very good defense and other good offensive players.

The Bills would be a good team and were a good team earlier in the year when they had a full complement of offensive players not the rag tag bunch they had to throw together for the second half of the season. The defense still needs a lot of work but a legit pass rusher and LB could go a long way at vastly improving this team.

I had read a similar article or published paper a couple years ago, regarding the four key position concept. Seems like in today's game being so pass oriented, this would be even more important.

Buffalo basically has nobody at these keys positions that and has not for over a decade now. When I say nobody I mean:

1. True franchise QB. Fitz is a backup IMO.

2. True LT. Peters is gone I know.

3. Pass Rushing DE: Schobel was OK.

4. Lockdown corner: The Bills have had some good ones over the years, but you can't really over pay and I understand that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11812689

Be sure to checkout the point scale at bottom of page.

:blink:

The QB stuff REALLY gets tired. People apparently have different opinions on what a franchise QB is. To some there are only about 5 franchise QBs in the league. To others a franchise QB is a QB that is effective in your teams system when there is an actual team around them not a revolving door of crap at WR. Perhaps if we had WRs that were higher than #6 on the depth chart, were actual WRs not wild cat QBs or guys driving trucks or bagging groceries before getting called up to the bigs Fitz would have continued his stellar start to the year.

If Fitz is a backup QB in this league then there are only 10 - 12 guys in the league that are starters. People need to wake up and get a clue. When the team was healthy Fitz was quite literally and statistically a top 5 QB for about 6 weeks. What changed? WR dropping like flies, your aforementioned crap we have at LT, lack of a defense that kept us in games so that we didn't become a one dimensional pass happy offense, etc.

People see sports center and think no team will ever be anything without Rogers, Brady and Brees. That's BS. There are only 3 of those guys in the league. Look at who those guys are throwing the ball too and the lines protecting them. Then think how they would do as a Buffalo Bill. That should give you some perspective.

As far as CB we have already restocked the position. Get us a pass rusher or 2 and our CBs will suddenly look a LOT better.

Edited by PDaDdy