Four-pronged formula - key positions

San-O

I had read a similar article or published paper a couple years ago, regarding the four key position concept. Seems like in today's game being so pass oriented, this would be even more important.

Buffalo basically has nobody at these keys positions that and has not for over a decade now. When I say nobody I mean:

1. True franchise QB. Fitz is a backup IMO.

2. True LT. Peters is gone I know.

3. Pass Rushing DE: Schobel was OK.

4. Lockdown corner: The Bills have had some good ones over the years, but you can't really over pay and I understand that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11812689

Be sure to checkout the point scale at bottom of page.

:blink:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had read a similar article or published paper a couple years ago, regarding the four key position concept. Seems like in today's game being so pass oriented, this would be even more important.

Buffalo basically has nobody at these keys positions that and has not for over a decade now. When I say nobody I mean:

4. Lockdown corner: The Bills have had some good ones over the years, but you can't really over pay and I understand that.

So you take one prong away at the whole tent comes down?

ppppppllllllllllttttttt This is horse crap at best.

If Fitz is a "backup" QB, then there are about 16-20 other "backups" starting for NFL teams.

Tough as it is to believe, there is an area between "franchise QB" and "backup" QB.

Edited by Ramius

http://www.cbssports.../story/11812689

ummm...if true, isn't that where we were about 3 years ago? And 5 years ago, and ten....sigh.

I don't think our DB's are all that bad, hard to judge them when there is no pass rush to speak of. And for good or ill, whether he is a "franchise QB" or a backup or in between, we are wedded to Fitz, at least for another 1-2 years.

http://www.cbssports.../story/11812689

That is your opion.

We can go all the wy with Fitz.

D has to come first.

If Fitz is a "backup" QB, then there are about 16-20 other "backups" starting for NFL teams.

Tough as it is to believe, there is an area between "franchise QB" and "backup" QB.

It's called a "Game Manager". :thumbsup:

He led the league in picks/INTs, is inaccurate and questionable arm strength.

I like Fitz, just not starting.

you cant overpay? LOL

what do you call spending multiple draft picks trying to replace clements? not only did they cost money but they also cost us draft picks..

i bet if you did the math clements/winfield together would cost less then every draft pick and FA signing used to fill their void

He led the league in picks/INTs, is inaccurate and questionable arm strength.

I like Fitz, just not starting.

I'd like to see a breakdown of Interceptions thrown and the point differential at the time of the interception.

I can think of about 5 that were thrown when the Bills were already blown out and down by 20+ points in the late 3rd and 4th.

So yeah Fitz is still trying to come back. I don't if that is the same as a Jay Cutler type of Interception Lead where the guy just makes poor decisions Qtr 1-4 no matter what the score.

I'd like to see a breakdown of Interceptions thrown and the point differential at the time of the interception.

I can think of about 5 that were thrown when the Bills were already blown out and down by 20+ points in the late 3rd and 4th.

So yeah Fitz is still trying to come back. I don't if that is the same as a Jay Cutler type of Interception Lead where the guy just makes poor decisions Qtr 1-4 no matter what the score.

The new Total QB Rating is a better gauge of QB play and contribution to winning than the old QB Rating system...

Here's an explanation of the Total QBR...Explaining the Total QB Rating

For the record Fitz finished 18th in Total QBR...Right behind Matt Moore and in front of Kyle Orton...Fitz was 12 points out of the Top 10... B-)

Where the runnin' bax is?

Should read less and observe more. The artice was from 2 years ago and they rated McKelvin the 21 rated cb and Jabari Gree #31. That ought to tell you something

Also, what's a true LT? one that's only played that position and nothing else? Or an allpro/franchise type LT?

And, how dow you splain Philly with 4 for 4?

And, the last 4 SB winners were only 2 for 4. All minus the franchise LT and the lockdown corner.

As far as the Bills needs... They need Defense, defense, and defense... in that order. The offense can put up 20 points a game avg. If your defense can't hold a team to under that, they suck.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

If you can nail those 4 spots your in great shape. Otherwise it typically takes several guys to replace the output of one of those.

Example: No LT? As long as you have a good qb, two guards and a center they can climb the pocket (ala brees nicks and Evans and delapuente who has been playing very well).

Edited by NoSaint

i don't know why everyone goes crazy over the left tackle position. its like ever since The Blind Side came out thats all anyone can talk about to make it sound like they know football. Yeah, its important, and probably (remember centers) the most important position on the line, but i doubt its really a game breaker for a franchise. In todays game, I'd be much more concerned about getting a couple big time receivers

i don't know why everyone goes crazy over the left tackle position. its like ever since The Blind Side came out thats all anyone can talk about to make it sound like they know football. Yeah, its important, and probably (remember centers) the most important position on the line, but i doubt its really a game breaker for a franchise. In todays game, I'd be much more concerned about getting a couple big time receivers

Are you serious? It's been a key position for quite some time. Why do you think LT goes top 5 and centers last til the end of the round, or there paychecks are so much higher? Is that a result of gms watching the blindside?

Name ONE team that has all four...

Not only that but name one great left tackle in the game today.

We've recently seen the retirement of Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, and Orlando Pace.

All three of these men will be first-ballot Hall of Famers.

There isn't a truly great left tackle in the NFL right now. There are no Anthony Munozes or Tony Bosellis.

The best tackles right now are probably Joe Thomas and Jason Peters. That's quite a huge drop from the people listed above.

I mean Walter Jones went two complete seasons without giving up a single sack.

Guys like D Ferguson, Clady, Staley, et al are very pale imitations of truly great offensive tackles.

So no… every team would like a great LOT but in truth there aren't any at the moment and as such, you don't need one to win a Super Bowl.

Name ONE team that has all four...

Super bowl winning GB packers?

Qb: rodgers

LT: 2x probowler and 10 year starter Chad Clifton

DE: run the 34 so ill go with Matthews at OLB

CB: Woodson and Williams

Texans arent far off with schuab, all pro LT Duane brown, Mario Williams (or pass Rusher du jour since his injury) and Jonathan joseph

I don't think many teams kill it at all 4 but if you can be above average at all 4 it's pretty good for your chances