Four-pronged formula - key positions

San-O

But now the arguments eroding from get outstanding players at 4 pillar positions and you are a contender, to have some pretty good players at some of these spots and good players at some other spots and you might be contender, which is equivalent to saying nothing at all...

Which is what that article is "saying nothing at all . . .", which I believe I summarized accurately in the 1st post on this thread.

So you take one prong away at the whole tent comes down?

ppppppllllllllllttttttt This is horse crap at best.

[/thread]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has to be categorically false. I've been told hundreds of times that spending a 1st round pick on a CB will ruin a franchise and send it down a path of failure.

Duane Brown was drafted in the mid 20s, IIRC. Also, ask the Rams how far repeatedly taking tackles at the top of the draft has gotten them.

I'm not saying ignore OT, but there's a lot more to OL success than simply spending a high pick on an OT.

Of those 29, 12 were taken 16 or higher, 5 to teams that made the playoffs the NEXT year.

Now I know you aren't old enough to remember the Bills ever being a winning organization, but back in the 1990's they used to draft a DB practically every year and subsequently go to the playoffs. That right there is proof that it is the way to build a winning team.

All those teams which I am quite familiar with as possibly the original poster is as well had all the other pieces in place including a great RB named Thurman Thomas. Jim Kelly was pretty good too eh? :) Fitz statistically out performed him by the way. :nana:

you cant overpay? LOL

what do you call spending multiple draft picks trying to replace clements? not only did they cost money but they also cost us draft picks..

i bet if you did the math clements/winfield together would cost less then every draft pick and FA signing used to fill their void

valid point.

The theory is that RB's are a dime-a-dozen at this level, and if you have a strong OL and a passing game threat, a mediocre RB can look like a pro-bowler.

Yeah but if you don't get your runnin' bax early there might not be none left. Then all you can do is press your face to the glass and admire the cache of RB's of the Buffalo Bills. BTW, it's pencil-neck geeks that are a dime-a-dozen. Bax is 2 for penny.

All those teams which I am quite familiar with as possibly the original poster is as well had all the other pieces in place including a great RB named Thurman Thomas. Jim Kelly was pretty good too eh? :) Fitz statistically out performed him by the way. :nana:

Yeah but they didn't reach the super bowl until after they drafted JD Williams. I rest my case.

And like I have said- you need two or three guys to replace that players value normally. They have an awesome front seven and Troy P behind them. Hit those 4 pretty solid, you're a contender. Hit 2-3 and you need to have some special players to replace what you're lacking.

Big Ben's a freak back there escaping pressure.

But now the arguments eroding from get outstanding players at 4 pillar positions and you are a contender, to have some pretty good players at some of these spots and good players at some other spots and you might be contender, which is equivalent to saying nothing at all...

That's why I said there's more than one… oh never mind.

I'm sick and tired of comments like this from people who clearly have NO UNDERSTANDING of the cat skinning business.

There is one way to skin a cat. One!

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The new Total QB Rating is a better gauge of QB play and contribution to winning than the old QB Rating system...

Here's an explanation of the Total QBR...Explaining the Total QB Rating

For the record Fitz finished 18th in Total QBR...Right behind Matt Moore and in front of Kyle Orton...Fitz was 12 points out of the Top 10... B-)

Who have been primarily backup QBs throughout their careers....

I would also replace lock down corner with a top tier TE, and argue that a top LT is not as important as the inerior 3 of the OL.

The teams in the playoffs are my evidence.

Edited by Thoner7

Follow the money. Here are the franchise tag numbers. This illustrates the hardest to replace and impact by position. I believe the four positions outlined are the highest. This is where the money is being spent for a reason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8247df3a/article/franchisetag-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012

Who have been primarily backup QBs throughout their careers....

I would also replace lock down corner with a top tier TE, and argue that a top LT is not as important as the inerior 3 of the OL.

The teams in the playoffs are my evidence.

I'll take an elite interior too, but I think in pairing it down to minimal bodies, 1 LT is near as important as 3 interior lineman. Clearly neither is independent of the other but if told 4 bodies to start a team, interior line wouldn't trump LT

I had read a similar article or published paper a couple years ago, regarding the four key position concept. Seems like in today's game being so pass oriented, this would be even more important.

Buffalo basically has nobody at these keys positions that and has not for over a decade now. When I say nobody I mean:

1. True franchise QB. Fitz is a backup IMO.

2. True LT. Peters is gone I know.

3. Pass Rushing DE: Schobel was OK.

4. Lockdown corner: The Bills have had some good ones over the years, but you can't really over pay and I understand that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11812689

Be sure to checkout the point scale at bottom of page.

:blink:

This article is about 5 years too late. "Lockdown" corners are not a requirement. Teams have shown that schemes and pressuring the QB obviate the need for shutdown cbs.