Empty Improvement

This year was all about improvement for me, and we did improve by 2 games, not a lot but it is improvement

But for some reason i dont feel good about it, we are losing our only legit WR, our QB is below par, even though we signed him to big contract, our defense was horrible.

This year has shown how many glaring needs we have, QB, WR, DE, OLB, CB. Thats just on the field, dont forget our front office inablility to properly value players, our Head coach throwing the ball to much when our run game is beastly, our DC (at least he is gone).

I feel much worse about the upcoming season than i did last season.

The only things that i have like this year is (in terms of player improvement): Rogers (as a return man), Williams, Spiller, Jackson and Dareus

What do u guys think about this season did we improve as much as you guys want, and how do u feel bout next year

Edited by aussiebills

This year was all about improvement for me, and we did improve by 2 games, not a lot but it is improvement

But for some reason i dont feel good about it, we are losing our only legit WR, our QB is below par, even though we signed him to big contract, our defense was horrible.

This year has shown how many glaring needs we have, QB, WR, DE, OLB, CB. Thats just on the field, dont forget our front office inablility to properly value players, our Head coach throwing the ball to much when our run game is beastly, our DC (at least he is gone).

The only things that i have like this year is (in terms of player improvement): Rogers (as a return man), Williams, Spiller, Jackson and Dareus

What do u guys think about this season did we improve as much as you guys want, and how do u feel bout next year

The Good:

1. The OL improved a lot

2. We have Freddy abnd CJ -- an excellent backfield.

3. The 2011 draft class looks good, especially Dareus.

4. We found one TE finally - Chandler can play.

The bad:

1. No pass rush

2. No speed at WR, the overall group is poor and cannot get off the line of scrimmage.

3. Marginal DEs still being converted to horrible OLBs

4. No improvement on defense, despite bringing in Wanny.

5. No leadership during the 7 game losing streak. Lost to Jet and Dolphins twice.

6. Do not see a mean streak on this team. No identity of mental or physical toughness.

Edited by Bob in STL

The Good:

1. The OL improved a lot

The bad:

1. No pass rush

2. No speed at WR, the overall group is poor and cannot get off the line of scrimmage.

5. No leadership during the 7 game losing streak. Lost to Jet and Dolphins twice.

6. Do not see a mean streak on this team. No identity of mental or physical toughness.

How much of a chance did Wanny have to really have an impact?

I feel like this is the year the Bills need to make a bold move. They have officially become the team having gone longest without making the playoffs.

This team has been irrelevant since the Jim Kelly days. This past decades top teams have been highlighted by franchise guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

You need that franchise QB and Fitzpatrick sadly failed in his attempt to stake that claim.

I feel like the Bills will become a 8 to 10 win team these next few years taking them out of any possibility to trade up to get a franchise QB.

I think the Bills need to strike now while they're still within reach and go get RG III in this year's draft.

I feel like the team would have been much better if not for all of the injuries. More than anything else next year, the team needs to find a way to stay healthy. A healthy Williams and Dareus at the same time would provide a great improvement. Wood getting hurt threw the offense into chaos.

The Bills need to go out and get the best strength and conditioning coach money can buy so the decent players have a shot to make it through the season.

The last twelve years tell me the Bills will suck. They only have a chance to get better after RW is gone. No guarantees we will even have the team here then. So I am not very optimistic about the Bills next year. I could get into all the front office and on field reasons why they will suck, but the only consistent in the last twelve years is that the same guy has owned the team. Different front offices, different coaches, different players, same OWNER.

The Good:

1. The OL improved a lot

The bad:

1. No pass rush

One big disapointment for me was Fitz not emerging as a leader. How may times have you seen him trying to fire up his mates on the sidelines? He sits by himself with a clueless look on his face - especially when losing. Unfortunately I don't think this will ever change.

One big disapointment for me was Fitz not emerging as a leader. How may times have you seen him trying to fire up his mates on the sidelines? He sits by himself with a clueless look on his face - especially when losing. Unfortunately I don't think this will ever change.

He certainly hasn't shown any evidence of ridding this team of their "culture of losing". Whether it's his play on the field or his sideline demeanor.

On the bright side, the media reported he wears cool new t-shirts everyday! When it's all said and done, and he retires. History footnotes will say what

most already know. A decent backup, but not a quality NFL starter.

1325951035[/url]' post='2357010']

Buddies first two drafts are coming together nicely. Last years draft class alone is remarkable. For a team and a GM that believes in building through the draft I feel pretty good about the upcoming draft. I hope they can keep some of their free agents, and I hope that Fitz can be a better leader. I seriously think that Fitz is going to be the guy for the next few years.

Buddies first two drafts are coming together nicely. Last years draft class alone is remarkable. For a team and a GM that believes in building through the draft I feel pretty good about the upcoming draft. I hope they can keep some of their free agents, and I hope that Fitz can be a better leader. I seriously think that Fitz is going to be the guy for the next few years.

Fitz and the running game would both benefit the most by drafting a Left Tackle with our first round pick. i know we need a pass rusher DE/OLB, but i believe the best available player will be one of the three LT's considered Top 10 picks.

I feel like this is the year the Bills need to make a bold move. They have officially become the team having gone longest without making the playoffs.

This team has been irrelevant since the Jim Kelly days. This past decades top teams have been highlighted by franchise guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

You need that franchise QB and Fitzpatrick sadly failed in his attempt to stake that claim.

I feel like the Bills will become a 8 to 10 win team these next few years taking them out of any possibility to trade up to get a franchise QB.

I think the Bills need to strike now while they're still within reach and go get RG III in this year's draft.

I, too, agree - I think the Bills will improve next year, and probably the next after that, to somewhere in the wild-card range. But, Fitz will never be more than he is, and that is mediocre with bad accuracy. He is no leader. He had his chance to lead, and the team fell apart around him, and he hung his head. The players on this team know who he is - that is why they don't take losing too badly, their front office acts as if they should win with a second rate team. These players know what's what.

So, the time is NOW to strike for a high round QB. I don't forsee a player as good a prospect as Luck for the next decade. Do what you have to to get him, and then get creative in building a team around him.

Or, and this is not as exciting, and it totally depends on the ability of our Management to evaluate talent - but, they have to get a QB, so if they see a guy other than Luck - maybe Griffin III, or some other guy that they just know is going to be talented, then go get him. Quit expecting to get by with mediocre talent!

How much of a chance did Wanny have to really have an impact?

The guy was the Assistant Head Coach. I higher paying and higher ranking position than the Defensive Coordinator.

If he had to chance to help then shame on him, and Chan, and Mr. Nix.

Agree. Other than Barnett and Merriman (two imports) it was hard to find fired up players who expected to win.

George Wilson stikes me as a leader, as does Eric Wood.

The guy was the Assistant Head Coach. A higher paying and higher ranking position than the Defensive Coordinator.

If he had to chance to help then shame on him, and Chan, and Mr. Nix.

FWIW and I don't know how much it is, Gailey said the following in the wake of the Edwards firing:

"I think there was one vision and one voice and I think this will be a different vision and voice," Gailey said. "If you have too many voices in anything you end up with problems. That was not the situation that I expected to create nor did I think it was created in the defensive room."

Nevertheless, several players praised the fact the Bills had pared down and simplified their game plan for the 40-14 win over Denver, their best defensive effort since the 23-0 shutout over Washington.

I agree that by watching the games, it appears he did go into funks. However, no one has any idea of what happens in the lockerroom. But these guys are pros. Yelling at another pro on the sideline is probably the absolute worse way to deal with team issues. Look at the Jets. You keep the problems in house and avoid the media at all costs.

And the 7 game losing streak clouds things, but there was improvement this year. Hopefully next year, we add depth and stay healthier. IMO if this team isn't fighting for a playoff spot next season, it's time to make changes.

Not to over-analyze Gailey's above statement and become too critical, but one can draw a few thoughts from them.

1) Wanny didn't have much input. If so, why the hell not? The defense sucked last year, one would have hoped that Wanny was brought in to make his mark on Edwards' defense.

2) Conversely, there's a possible silver lining in that Wanny will have much more say in the defense and therefore there's a chance at real improvement

3) How much input does Gailey solicit/accept when drawing up his offensive game plans?

Well if you look at the bad in hopes that we will be better for it i think that by Williams & Merriman leaving the season early in order to get their health issues cleaned up that will go down as a positive for this year b/c they will hopefully both come back next year much healthier than they have been in a long while + ..

You look at all of the rookies that got valuable playing time this year because of the injuries that can do nothing but help in the fact that the coaches get to see them make mistakes and can get this corrected & we get not only valuable experience for our rookie class but our over all depth increases .

This year too by Mckelvin getting put into a secondary roll as far as a CB position Gailey was able to see where his other value lies in being a kick returner , b/c it seemed as though after his fumble 3 years ago to the Patriots he was no longer used in that capacity .

Over all i think we are better for the season going the way that it did , experience in any situation you can still learn from & collectively there was a lot that the Bills as a team can learn from to bring into next year . Because although every one makes mistakes those who learn from them & don't make the same mistake twice have not wasted their time !!!!

Edited by T master

Went from the 3rd worse team in the league to the 10th worse with the injury bug, thats forward progress. Without the injures I dont think we would have dominated but would have won a couple more games and not looked pathetic in a couple others.

I understand the idea of building through the draft but I believe that this year if they draft well and take advantage of free-agency the Bills could be a quality team.

As a fan, you can look at wins and losses for evaliuation, but if you want a true evaluation, you have to look at more than that. If you say a coach has to get to the playoffs to keep his job, but we miss it because of one fluke play- or get there because of one fluke play, then you are creating a problem.

1. It is the GM's job to aquire talented players, not the coach's

2. It is the players job to make plays, noth the coach's

3. Our schemes have done everything possible to maximize what talent we have- but you can't hide every weakness

4. Our schemes have made our offensive line look better than it is

5. Our quarterback has a knack for a dramatic, but his accuracy makes him struggle with the routine.

6. Our top potential playmaker just finished his second year and will get more playing rime as his blocking improves

7. Our top offensive threat was a running back who isn't the playmaking type.

8. Our top receiver would be better off in the slot, where he could tear up defenses

9. We have no pass rush at all

10. Our coverage isn't all that good

FInal evaluation- be glad we weren't the worst team in the league