Buddy Nix to retire after 2012 draft?

Jdragon2

Couldn't agree more with PTR, I know the consensus feeling among Bill's fans is really low at this point, but both of these promotions were expected. Whaley and Wannstedt both bring a high pedigree of success, which I am personally welcoming with open arms.

Yup, this is a step up, and I like it. Still recovering from Marv/DJ.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you guys know, this Joe guy has broken a few stories in the past (mostly related to the Sabres which is why I started to follow him on twitter). His twitter handle is @JoeBuffaloWins. Very opinionated. Doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks about him but guys like Jeremy White of WGR have given him credit on being the first guy to report certain things in the past (another reason why I followed him). Not sure who he knows or how he gets his information but the guy is connected in some way and hasn't leaked bad information since I started to follow him.

I know Kelly the Dog has a hard time believing the story but this guy has been spot on in the past.

I also heard a rumor that Whaley is being considered for the Indy job. If that is the case, it could be the reason that Nix is stepping down. The Bills do not want to lose Whaley (if this report is true AND if the Colts want him), so they may have accelerated the taking over the reins progression and offer him the job now. With the Bears and Rams and maybe a couple other GM openings popping up, that could easily be the case. Buddy saying I better step aside now or someone is going to offer Doug the job and he would be a fool not to take it.

One thing that should be mentioned is that Whaley is under contract to the Bills.

Unless his contract expires after the draft which I doubt because he was promoted to take Modrak's spot less than one year ago, Whaley won't be able to go anywhere unless the Bills release him from his contract.

I doubt he's going anywhere and anyways, the plan was always for him to succeed Nix. Nix has a good relationship with Ralph and came out of retirement to help him stabilize the organization.

With the firing of Guy and Modrak, the hiring of Whaley as Assistant GM, Tom Gibbons as Director of Pro Personnel, Chuck Cook as Director of College Scouting and Darrell Moody as National Scout, the revamping of the Bills football department is virtually complete. I think Nix was gonna be leaving very soon regardless of outside factors.

Anyone think Gailey may be on a short leeash? If Whaley is more of a Steelers D and running game guy he may not be too happy with the pass happy Gailey.

After this season, Gailey probably is on a bit of a short leash/thin ice. If Whaley takes over, that would probably be evem more the case.

However the Steelers have been a major passing offense for several years now.

The article said that the staff at OBD was informed of the change this week (probably yesterday, the day after the last game of the season). It would be quite a scoop. It'll be either confirmed or denied by tomorrow morning, I guess.

Unfortunately, this type of insight is lost on the Madden-playing Mouth-breathers of TBD who expect an entire franchise to be rebuilt in 8 months.

Anyone who cant see the change of direction from the time Nix took over is too entrenched in their own misery.

You know, some people talk about it like building a team that can be really competitive actually takes 3 years and UFA signings up the yin-yang, etc. And if that's the attitude that people --- (ahem) Ralph Wilson (ahem) --- accept, then that's what you'll get.

Look at what Jim Harbaugh has done in SF inside of a year, without minicamps, without much prep time... with a QB that everybody else thought was a bust.

Anyone who says it can't be done is a loser. All it takes is the proper motivation, resources and a little luck.

Say what you will about the player, but when Nix admitted he didn't have a lot to do with the Evans trade, it spoke volumes. New HC, GM, DC, ticket seller, whatever. It's still the same people with the marionettes.

It would take a Ted Thompson/Kevin Colbert/Tom Dimitroff effort for the next 3 drafts to overcome that sort of interference from on-high.

+1.

Anyone who thinks this organization's attitude does not stem directly from RW's depression-era miserly behavior and Old Man Syndrome is delusional.

I hope that a shot of youth in the FO with Whaley might help bring the franchise into this decade. (I mean, Whaley actually uses email!) Whether his voice is going to be counted ahead of Littman and Overdorf in RW's estimation is the most important question.

Edited by UConn James

One thing that should be mentioned is that Whaley is under contract to the Bills.

Unless his contract expires after the draft which I doubt because he was promoted to take Modrak's spot less than one year ago, Whaley won't be able to go anywhere unless the Bills release him from his contract.

I doubt he's going anywhere and anyways, the plan was always for him to succeed Nix. Nix has a good relationship with Ralph and came out of retirement to help him stabilize the organization.

With the firing of Guy and Modrak, the hiring of Whaley as Assistant GM, Tom Gibbons as Director of Pro Personnel, Chuck Cook as Director of College Scouting and Darrell Moody as National Scout, the revamping of the Bills football department is virtually complete. I think Nix was gonna be leaving very soon regardless of outside factors.

After this season, Gailey probably is on a bit of a short leash/thin ice. If Whaley takes over, that would probably be evem more the case.

However the Steelers have been a major passing offense for several years now.

In most NFL contracts for management/coaches, individuals can leave early if they're offered a real promotion. What you're talking about can really only stop lateral moves.

But,That's why lawyers where invented. To arbitrate, negotiate, and litigate. If Whaley got a call from Indy, I don't see him being held back from accepting for all sorts of reasons. Assistants, and assistant coaches leave for promotions all the time while under contract.

Interesting opinion from Tim Graham:

Tim Graham

ByTimGraham Tim Graham

I'm not reporting Polian is returning to Buffalo, folks. Read carefully. ... Just two guys talking, but source is wise.

1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Tim Graham

ByTimGraham Tim Graham

Had interesting talk with NFL source. Began chat thinking Polian return to Bills absurd. Then we talked ourselves into believing possible.

1 hour ago

Edited by Punch

Interesting opinion from Tim Graham:

Tim Graham

ByTimGraham Tim Graham

I'm not reporting Polian is returning to Buffalo, folks. Read carefully. ... Just two guys talking, but source is wise.

1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Tim Graham

ByTimGraham Tim Graham

Had interesting talk with NFL source. Began chat thinking Polian return to Bills absurd. Then we talked ourselves into believing possible.

1 hour ago

Don't underestimate Ralph Inc.'s penchant for shock value when ticket sales are down. See also: Marv Levy as GM; T.O. signing.

And he did. So evidence right there that the team is improving.

Dont dismiss Gailey based on how bad the guys were before him. The Offense put up good numbers, not just "better".

...and yet they still haven't won as many games as Jauron's awful teams did.

Gimme a break. This team is absolute garbage. It's been garbage for 12 years and counting. Is it a finer shade of garbage than we had 3 years ago? Probably. But it's still an organization that isn't trying to win. That starts at the top.

Nix is 72. It's a ridiculously stressful job, and it's gotta be disheartening to preside over a really long losing streak. I'd be shocked if he didn't retire. I know i would. Life is too short -- literally.

Not the way Nix does it. :devil:

Edited by tgreg99

retires after the 2012 draft and Doug Whaley takes over at that point aren't things wonderful? IF we pick up some great F/A's and the '12 draft class produces big-time starters Nix goes out a hero with Whaley in on the decisions. IF we get zip in F/A and the draft comes up short we have a NEW GM with a NEW VISION to lead the way. BRILLIANT!

I still don't understand why many of the posters on here bother following the Bills, yeah they aint perfect. Yes it okay to criticize, and 12 years has been a stupidly long time BUT this stuff takes faith and maybe more importantly since the team was effed over so bad by some of the stupid moves that RW is utimitly responsible for :wallbash: it also takes time to do it right. I hope Whaley moves up if Nix goes, I DON'T want Polian's son effing around here. I like the job that Nix has done, Gailey a bit less so but they get at least through next year, it even takes time to judge the coaches and FO. They pretty much dumped a lot of the team and started over, these last 2 years and real development takes time. In my book they get it.

Well for starters one would hope Doug Whaley will have a different philosophy

Than Buddy Hix. I would call that more in the "change" category. I doubt he shared

Buddy philosophy or I should say I hope he didn't. Nix was a waste of 2 years IMO. Just like Levy was.

Our last draft was very solid, Barnett and Chandler excellent FA pickups as well.

Nix's first year was Marvish but if we have another draft like last year and add two more solid FA's I am happy.

You are incorrect.

While the Bills do have a history of promoting from within........that is about all you have correct.

Dave Wannstedt is a proven winner whereever he has gone.........not a re-tread.

Doug Whaley is already an accomplished, sought after, NFL assistant GM.

Both have only been with the Bills for less than a year.

There are things wrong with the Bill's management, these two moves (if Whaley happens) would NOT be examples of this.

Whaley has been with the Bills for two years. Nix hired him before the 2010 season.

I have a feeling the merriman debacle sent nix packing. Whiffing on Williams condition didn't help eiher.

Like Levy, Nix was offered the job because Ralph "knew who he was".

Sad, but true.

Whaley was a highly regarded front office person working for the Steelers. The Bills were criticized for not talking to Whaley and several others up and comers during their "search" for a GM.

I still don't understand why many of the posters on here bother following the Bills, yeah they aint perfect. Yes it okay to criticize, and 12 years has been a stupidly long time BUT this stuff takes faith and maybe more importantly since the team was effed over so bad by some of the stupid moves that RW is utimitly responsible for :wallbash: it also takes time to do it right. I hope Whaley moves up if Nix goes, I DON'T want Polian's son effing around here. I like the job that Nix has done, Gailey a bit less so but they get at least through next year, it even takes time to judge the coaches and FO. They pretty much dumped a lot of the team and started over, these last 2 years and real development takes time. In my book they get it.

Again....

Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers.

6-10 last season with Singletary.

Inside of a year. No communication with players. No mini-camps. Shortened training camp. Alex Smith at starting QB.

Now it looks like they're going toe to toe with the Packers for the NFC.

"Development takes time" whining?

BULLSTEVESTOJAN!!!!

Edited by UConn James

Just a quick update on the Nix story. JoeB from WGR just tweeted the following:

JoeB_WGR Joe Buscaglia

In response to a rumor that Buddy Nix may be stepping down, Russ Brandon emphatically tells Kiss 98.5 "Buddy isn't going anywhere."

Still doesn't rule out Whaley taking over the day to day duties and Nix taking on more of a consulting role..

"Development takes time" whining?

Harbaugh didn't take over a rebuilding team, he took over a rebuilt team. The 49ers were building a team and developing talent while Singletary or even Mike Nolan were there. Using your 49ers example the 2010 Bills are probably alot like the 49ers of 2005 or 2006.

Edited by Carey Bender