A Runningback Controversy Developing?

Hsp08

Spiller is a major surprise, I will admit thinking he was a bust like many.

Now it will be interesting to see what Nix & Gailey will do. If they can co-exist, they will be an amazing 1-2 punch. The other school of thought is to trade one to get more draft picks, or players, especially for defense. I would assume Fred Jackson would be exposed because of age and his peak trade value. I do love his play and immense heart!

Finally some luxury problems for the Bills, I hope they handle this properly for maximum value and output.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it's not a luxery anymore. I love FredEX but the man is over 30 and is now coming back from a broken wheel. From the RB position it's not looking good for his long term future or bank account. Look at Tomlinson, he's not really don't much, been a shell of his old self in the last 3 years or so. You can't even compare Freds ability to Tomlinsons. He will be a first ballot HOFer, and he's dripped off to nothing. Emmitt Smith was the same way.

Fred is great, probably my favorite Bill, but his time is coming to an end. It's too late to trade him for anything really worth it honestly, gotta keep him and utilize him as much as possible but at what cost to Spillers future???

I also don't believe Chan is the coach to maximize 2 good RBs, which will hurt one of them overall. His playcalling has been suspect at best and he's showed that regardless of score, opponent, stadium, weather and temperature he is way too pass happy. Regardless what Chan says, I don't believe he knows how to utilize 2 backs like he claims he wanted to.

Last point, as good as Freddy is, has been for us, he doesn't posess half the skill set and ability that CJ does. The long runs CJ has this year, Fred would have been dropped much earlier because he doesnt have the speed of CJ. And let's not forget that Freddy put up most of his numbers with our starting OLmen when CJ has done it with backup tackles, guards, amd center at times yet still has the same average or close enough. Last I checked it was within .05 yards.

if the bills can sign freddy to an extention that makes sense to both sides that would be step number one. step two would be sitting down with the two backs and having a dialogue about how the team will transition from freddy as the feature back to cj in that role over the next couple years. bottom line is there is no need for a controversy if everyone is honest about the situation and there is a comittment to getting both players adequate touches. i also realise that this scenerio has a bit too much of a "perfect world" vibe to it, but hey, i'm a bills fan and tend to cling to "what if"s an awful lot.

Sign Jackson to a 3 year 15 million dollar contract. End of story.

Yep, because for just one reason, we cannot accurately throw further than 5 to 10 yards. Most teams would die for 2 good backs (or are they "runners").

There is nor should there be a controversy.If we get a coach that knows how to use 2 great players, it's no problem.

Boy, I wish Fred would accept 3 year 15 mil. I think most of it would need to be guaranteed. That would be his last NFL contract.

Unfortunately it's not a luxery anymore. I love FredEX but the man is over 30 and is now coming back from a broken wheel. From the RB position it's not looking good for his long term future or bank account. Look at Tomlinson, he's not really don't much, been a shell of his old self in the last 3 years or so. You can't even compare Freds ability to Tomlinsons. He will be a first ballot HOFer, and he's dripped off to nothing. Emmitt Smith was the same way.

Fred is great, probably my favorite Bill, but his time is coming to an end. It's too late to trade him for anything really worth it honestly, gotta keep him and utilize him as much as possible but at what cost to Spillers future???

I also don't believe Chan is the coach to maximize 2 good RBs, which will hurt one of them overall. His playcalling has been suspect at best and he's showed that regardless of score, opponent, stadium, weather and temperature he is way too pass happy. Regardless what Chan says, I don't believe he knows how to utilize 2 backs like he claims he wanted to.

Last point, as good as Freddy is, has been for us, he doesn't posess half the skill set and ability that CJ does. The long runs CJ has this year, Fred would have been dropped much earlier because he doesnt have the speed of CJ. And let's not forget that Freddy put up most of his numbers with our starting OLmen when CJ has done it with backup tackles, guards, amd center at times yet still has the same average or close enough. Last I checked it was within .05 yards.

tomlinson has been run into the ground. 3700+ touches in his career. i think fred has a lot more left in his tank than tomlinson does.

Maybe they can work up a 2-back offense? They both catch the ball well, so with one in motion etc, it wouldn't have to limit the offense or show their hand to the defense. Add a speed receiver into the mix, and things could really get interesting. After watching Fitz struggle, I think taking some focus off the passing game would help him quite a bit too.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

WHY??? You got Spiller. No Offenses run much 2 back sets any more. He is signed through 2012. He is over 30. Trade value is a 5th at best. Can't make it through the season. Got a broken leg. Lastly, didn't rushing to sign Fitz early teach any one here a lesson?

Let him play out his contract

WHY??? You got Spiller. No Offenses run much 2 back sets any more. He is signed through 2012. He is over 30. Trade value is a 5th at best. Can't make it through the season. Got a broken leg. Lastly, didn't rushing to sign Fitz early teach any one here a lesson?

We need to show players we will reward them for good play. We have underpaid for Jackson's services the last few years - fair or not, we need to reward him.

People tend to say that Freddy is a young 30 years old because his NFL career started so late. He still took a lot of shots in college and in the arena league. In fact, I think they play both sides of the ball in indoor football. So, I'm a bit concerned about how much more he has left. I love him, but the his shelf life won't be all that much longer IMO. I've been a supporter of CJ's from day one. I think he can handle the feature back role. If it came down to paying Freddy or Stevie, I'd have to want them to commit to Stevie.

Freds leg break is no big deal. This was no wood type injury. Fact is it was a six week injury or so I read. Had the Bills been a playoff contender. they probably wouldn't have Ir'd him. green bay certainly would have kept him active. Then again Green bay is light years ahead of the bills and I am not a fan of them.

Look I like CJ and he has been very good for the past 2 GAMES. We need both. if CJ is a fragile as many here believe what good is keeping him and man I hate to say this "Choice".

CJ has looked great the last two games and is just scratching the surface on his NFL career. But people are forgetting that Jackson was 50% of the offense. While Jackson does not have Spiller's speed, Spiller does not have Jackson's elusiveness. IMO, Jackson should be signed to a 3-4 year extension. If Jackson gets 20-25 touches a game & Spiller gets 10-15 touches a game, the Bills will have the best RB tandem in the league.

CJ has looked great the last two games and is just scratching the surface on his NFL career. But people are forgetting that Jackson was 50% of the offense. While Jackson does not have Spiller's speed, Spiller does not have Jackson's elusiveness. IMO, Jackson should be signed to a 3-4 year extension. If Jackson gets 20-25 touches a game & Spiller gets 10-15 touches a game, the Bills will have the best RB tandem in the league.

This is correct sir!

End of thread in the first reply, imo.

Pay Fred to keep him around so we dont have to draft another RB for a few more year. I think those numbers are very fair for both sides.

No such thing as a RB controversy in this league as you need at least 2 good ones.

Spiller had one 100 yard game so far, big woop

Freddy is still way better in almost every area, running, catching, blocking, 3rd down back

most teams may not utilize a 2 back set much, but having two top backs is a necessity in today's NFL

Knowing how this FO works Jackson will probably be shipped out for a 5th, somehow the Patriots will end up with him and win another SB