Ralph Wilson optimistic Toronto series will be renewed

And why is that? because Ralph is a meddlesome bastard and buffalo is probably the worst franchise in the NFL. It's a long road to turning that reputation around, but it can be done. Ralphie boy isn't even trying

Because no other franchise has an owner that has a say in what the team does, they all just hand blank checks over to their front office and say "do what you want, I will be sitting in my owners box"

What makes them the "worst franchise"? What makes them worse then Detroit? Cleveland? Cincy? Detroit and Cleveland have had worse records in the last decade then the Bills (Detroit is only where they are now by drafting in the top 3 for many years), and Cincy's owner is also not viewed as a great owner

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmmm

Lynch - Fans ran him out of town faster then he could ever run on the field at RWS because they were afraid one more screw up and he is gone for the year

Evans - Fans talked about how he was expendable and should be traded, only reason fans are upset was because they overvalued what they thought another team would pay for him. He has also been invisible this year (or is that him being a high priced decoy for the Ravens now?)

Whitner - Fans have been running him out of town every since his name was called at the podium the day he was drafted because he wasn't who everyone thought we should have drafted

Maybin - Again, Fans were running him out of town since the day he was drafted, too small and light to be an NFL player

Poz - Fans ran him out of town too, was only worth signing cheap but replaceable

Funny how atleast 3 (probably 4) of the 5 players you mentioned were all players fans couldn't wait to get rid of also. Now that they go off to other teams and make some plays, they are all valuable pieces that they should never have let go.

Lynch - he was a risk, Freddy was producing, Spiller was drafted. It was a logical, albleit wierd to trade the guy you made starter out of the three. Good trade given the situation.

Evans - there was a small movement (FO insiders trying the waters?) that kept bringing it up, a smal crowd kept reacting it would be stupid most others simply ignored it untill it became a reality and only then the majority had a fit over it. Still think it was a terrible trade.

Whitner - allthough picked too high was a solid player, disliked even more for his stupid opinions/voicings. Should have kept him for the same contract the niners gave him.

Maybin - all he proved was that he didnt belong in the NFL as a starter, was challenged by his co-workers too. It seems he simply didnt want to be in Buffalo. Good dump.

Poz - Jup plenty of peepz wanting to get rid of him. Should have kept him, got lucky replacing him.

Are you going to try and tell me that everyone loved those players and wanted to keep them? What did I say that was so unbelievable?

I know the question is not directed at me. but i have something to say on that point you made.

I supported many of the personnel decisions not because I agreed with them but because I thought Nix is a 'football man' and knows what he is doing. I ratinalized the moves thinking he knows better than me about team building. At the time, for pretty much every player - lynch, Poz, Whitner, Evans I came out against the idea of getting rid of them before having a proven replacement. But finally thought that Nix knows what he is doing. But two years in, we have failed results. I dont see how this team could have been worse off with all these players still on the team. Nix came out first with the 'keep your own' mantra and did the opposite. He also made the famous 'show me the baby' statement which now rings hollower than a drunkard's bottle.

I think this press conference/interview is going to blow up in RW's face big time. The media and fans are going to skewer him for these statements and he will be forced to recant them a few days later. This has to be the most idiotic bunch of statements that an owner of a professional franchise can make to his fan base.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I know the question is not directed at me. but i have something to say on that point you made.

I supported many of the personnel decisions not because I agreed with them but because I thought Nix is a 'football man' and knows what he is doing. I ratinalized the moves thinking he knows better than me about team building. At the time, for pretty much every player - lynch, Poz, Whitner, Evans I came out against the idea of getting rid of them before having a proven replacement. But finally thought that Nix knows what he is doing. But two years in, we have failed results. I dont see how this team could have been worse off with all these players still on the team. Nix came out first with the 'keep your own' mantra and did the opposite. He also made the famous 'show me the baby' statement which now rings hollower than a drunkard's bottle.

But would they have been any better with them?

Everyone always bring up the "Keep your own" comment, but those guys weren't picked by this GM, and 2 of them (Poz and Whitner) left on their own. How are you supposed to improve and get better if every year you resign your entire team? Some guys have to go to open up roster spots and new guys have to come in.

But would they have been any better with them?

Everyone always bring up the "Keep your own" comment, but those guys weren't picked by this GM, and 2 of them (Poz and Whitner) left on their own. How are you supposed to improve and get better if every year you resign your entire team? Some guys have to go to open up roster spots and new guys have to come in.

These guys were not super stars but better than average. they had proven themselves. And for most of them, we did not have someone who was better and pushed them out of the job. About the only decision I agree with was Poz and that too cos he would have been quite expensive.

Even Kyle Williams and Fitz were not drafted/acquired by this regime but they were still extended. So my point is that Nix has not been consistent in his approach nor does he seem to have direction. See how many first rounders the 49ers have on their squad. Not all of them superstars (whitner, ted Ginn) but look at their success and tell me that loading up on above average high picks does not translate into success

And now for the owner to come out and say it is going to take a few more years is the pits in stupidity. Especially in this day and age when teams take no mroe than 2-3 years to turn things around.

I think this press conference/interview is going to blow up in RW's face big time. The media and fans are going to skewer him for these statements and he will be forced to recant them a few days later. This has to be the most idiotic bunch of statements that an owner of a professional franchise can make to his fan base.

It already has blown up in his face, just look at the reactions here

But would it really matter what he said? Fans will always taken the comments that are said and view them how they want to view them. The only way to change it is to change what happens on the field and win.

look at the comments

He said they need WR's, thats true, fans don't like Jones as a #2 and they don't have a standout playmaking WR right now

He said they need healthy TE's - Fans have wanted a stud TE for years, Chandler looked good but got hurt, they just IR'd a TE earlier this year, they have had a bunch of TE's in previous years that are always getting hurt......

He believes that Fitz is the guy, and up until this current losing streak (which alot of people put most of the blame on the defence), the entire area thought so too.....

He asked for patience, what more can he ask for? its not like they can do anything about it now with the trade deadline passed and FA not starting again until March. They can't start drafting players until the draft. Great teams aren't built overnight, unlike what some want to think. Teams like Detroit, and San Fran have gone through many regimes and years of drafting near the top to get to where they are this season. NE was a struggling franchise until Bledsoe and then lucking into finding Brady. Indy was another struggling franchise until they drafted Manning. New Orleans and Tampa spent many years as a league doormat until they found recent success.

He said they need a runner, this is the only comment I am not sure of because I don't know what he means by a "runner". Does he mean RB? Deos he mean a speedy WR? Does he mean a Vick/Teebow type QB? For all we know, he could be refering to a player similar to Teebow.......

Patience is Impatience as No Playoffs is to Playoffs.

I understand what Mr. Wilson is saying. That it might take a 'several more years' to build a contender. In principal I have no problem with that statement. But in the context of the Bills the problem is we've heard this before. And the recent history of the team has not rewarded our patience.

So why is this time going to turn out different?

These guys were not super stars but better than average. they had proven themselves. And for most of them, we did not have someone who was better and pushed them out of the job. About the only decision I agree with was Poz and that too cos he would have been quite expensive.

Even Kyle Williams and Fitz were not drafted/acquired by this regime but they were still extended. So my point is that Nix has not been consistent in his approach nor does he seem to have direction. See how many first rounders the 49ers have on their squad. Not all of them superstars (whitner, ted Ginn) but look at their success and tell me that loading up on above average high picks does not translate into success

And now for the owner to come out and say it is going to take a few more years is the pits in stupidity. Especially in this day and age when teams take no mroe than 2-3 years to turn things around.

Lynch -> Freddy?

Whitner -> Wilson and Byrd?

Evans -> Johnson?

Are those replacements not considered by fans to be better then the players they replaced?

As for Poz, they found a better replacement for him in FA in Barnett when they couldn't re-sign him

The only one that arguably you can say they didn't have a replacement for was maybin, but he was let go because he never showed he could do anything on the field in games or practice with the Bills. the problem with him was maybe that the Bills caoching staff and front office wanted more out of him then what he could do. They wanted a complete player that could play every down, not a guy whos only ability is to try and sack the Qb on obvious passing downs and be a liability on the field every other down. Buffalo didn't feel they had the luxury of keeping a player liek that on this team, the Jets felt they could afford that luxury

maybe i'm mistaken, but i dont remember ralph and the FO asking for patience in the way they have been during this current regime.

the optimist in me wants to believe that the team is not interested in going balls to the wall in free agency to try to make a run at the title the way a lot of posters are clamoring for.

yes it is possible to turn a team around in 2-3 years. but it isnt easy or likely. there is not a magic formula. say the bills sign a bunch of overpriced or even fairly priced albeit expensive veteran free agents. that will have to be at the expense of guys the team has drafted and ideally wants to develop.

so then youve made this huge commitment to winning now. maybe the bills get hot at the right time and even *gasp* win a playoff game or two. hell, maybe they win a championship. but then those vets start getting old and ineffective. and youre back we were 2 years ago. a bunch of young inexperienced guys.

instead, what i hope we've been witnessing is the beginnings of a team that is built for the long haul with a solid base of talent and an identity.

the patience angle isnt exciting, and i certainly wont be surprised if the bills mess it up anyway, i just think/hope that they're building a team the right way.

if the patience pays off and weve got a team that is a perennial contender, i'd be happier watching years of back to back competitive football than i would watching one or maybe two years of competitive football and going back to the 3 yr coaching FO personnel carousel.

Lynch -> Freddy?

Evans -> Johnson?

Are those replacements not considered by fans to be better then the players they replaced?

As for Poz, they found a better replacement for him in FA in Barnett when they couldn't re-sign him

The only one that arguably you can say they didn't have a replacement for was maybin, but he was let go because he never showed he could do anything on the field in games or practice with the Bills. the problem with him was maybe that the Bills caoching staff and front office wanted more out of him then what he could do. They wanted a complete player that could play every down, not a guy whos only ability is to try and sack the Qb on obvious passing downs and be a liability on the field every other down. Buffalo didn't feel they had the luxury of keeping a player liek that on this team, the Jets felt they could afford that luxury

The point was RW is stating the team needs runners and WR's and yet he dumped the ones he had, who just happen to be first round draft picks and are STILL top talent. You don't think the Seahawks are loving it that they got an ex- #1 pick who has 1000 + yards rushing ***and 11 TD, the #8 RB in the league for a lousy 4th rounder?

The man reason why Lee Evans didn't have great stats the last few years is because Fitz hasn't been able to get him the ball very often, the Bills have had no deep passing game simply because the QB doesn't have the time in the pocket to throw 5-7 step drop back passes.

So the morons that run this team decided to get rid of Evans (a #1 pick for a 4th) and offer no adequate replacement, so now the short passing game won't work because the team has no viable deep threat to stop opposing defenses from jamming the LoS.

The stupidity just keeps going and going year after year with this team, but just keep apologizing for their stupidity

*** nea nea fixed it :nana:

Edited by Fear the Beard

It already has blown up in his face, just look at the reactions here

But would it really matter what he said? Fans will always taken the comments that are said and view them how they want to view them. The only way to change it is to change what happens on the field and win.

look at the comments

He said they need WR's, thats true, fans don't like Jones as a #2 and they don't have a standout playmaking WR right now

He said they need healthy TE's - Fans have wanted a stud TE for years, Chandler looked good but got hurt, they just IR'd a TE earlier this year, they have had a bunch of TE's in previous years that are always getting hurt......

He believes that Fitz is the guy, and up until this current losing streak (which alot of people put most of the blame on the defence), the entire area thought so too.....

He asked for patience, what more can he ask for?

He said they need a runner, this is the only comment I am not sure of because I don't know what he means by a "runner". Does he mean RB? Deos he mean a speedy WR? Does he mean a Vick/Teebow type QB? For all we know, he could be refering to a player similar to Teebow.......

WR - I agree on that aspect

TE - Chandler has done very well this year. Do we need to bolster TE when we have so many other crying needs ?

Runner - Seriously ? With FJax and CJ around, still need more ?

Fitz - the key is 'until this losing streak' Second year in a row, Fitz started fading around the half way mark. This cannot be a coincidence. Despite the injuries and lack of receiving threats, his mistakes and general inaccuracy on throws can only point to his limitations. He can be serviceable for another year with better weapons, but we need an upgrade to develop. Arguably we should have picked one up last draft

He is asking for patience after so many years of not even sniffing the playoffs ? He thinks the fans are going to buy this line when the 49ers, Lions, Bengals have turned things around ? When Pats*, Steelers, Packers are continuously elite teams ? Which century and which decade is his thought process stuck in ?

Lynch -> Freddy?

Evans -> Johnson?

The only one that arguably you can say they didn't have a replacement for was maybin,

Dude - you are proving my points. (1) At the time they were let go, their replacements were not proven (2) Yes, you can say this was identification of future talent. But I say, this is creating holes and filling them as opposed to growing the team. We need to keep our above average talent and use our picks/FA to add playmakers and leaders

This just in:

However long you've been waiting and hoping for the Bills' success, Mr. Wilson has been at it longer and more passionately than you ever have.

Sorry, if the Buffalo market doesn't get him the sort of stupid box seat revenue he'd need to be a free agent idiot like Dan Snyder, so we could have the same sort of success they do here in D.C. It doesn't mean he doesn't love his team and want them to win.

If that's a problem for you - don't blame RW, blame yourselves for voting lopsided Democrat every year awarding you one of the most anti-business states in the union, with all the lovely destroyed economy to go with it. At least demand they stop screwing you over for the benefit of NYC.

As it is, it's close to a miracle the team is still there. That they actually started to show some real game this season before the injuries did them in is a fantastic sign for the NEAR future.

Patience is justified. I believe Nix is going to address the OLB position (finally) amd if they do, they're going to be a whole different animal for 2012.

i've seen a lot of insane posts defending monty burns wilson, but this might top them all.

did you just really say the team flat-out sucks for approximately 75% of wilsons time as owner because not enough people vote republican in western new york? did you really just say that?

The point was RW is stating the team needs runners and WR's and yet he dumped the ones he had, who just happen to be first round draft picks and are STILL top talent. You don't think the Seahawks are loving it that they got an ex- #1 pick who has 1000K + yards and 11 TD, the #8 RB in the league for a lousy 4th rounder?

The man reason why Lee Evans didn't have great stats the last few years is because Fitz hasn't been able to get him the ball very often, the Bills have had no deep passing game simply because the QB doesn't have the time in the pocket to throw 5-7 step drop back passes.

So the morons that run this team decided to get rid of Evans (a #1 pick for a 4th) and offer no adequate replacement, so now the short passing game won't work because the team has no viable deep threat to stop opposing defenses from jamming the LoS.

The stupidity just keeps going and going year after year with this team, but just keep apologizing for their stupidity

Lynhc has 1,000,000 + yards. Wow, we screwed up. :devil:

I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up about his "observations" about personnel - it's clear from his comments that he has no idea what he's talking about, and probably has nothing to do anymore with specific personnel decisions (and appropriately so). What bugs me is the timetable - it's clear he's in no hurry to spend money to fix this thing, even though he's about to pocket another bag of cash from the Toronto extension. This whole thing is a scam. If you buy tickets for this product, you've been scammed. Frankly, if your elected officials let your tax dollars go into this product, you're being scammed. This is just a shade less corrupt than a Bulgarian state-run operation. You pay into something in part by choice - relying on misrepresentations - and in part because you're compelled to. You get nothing in return, and Ralph gets richer. Stop tolerating it - stop buying tickets, and tell your politicians you're fed up. Frankly you have very little to lose. If the team moves, so be it - better that than more of this crooked cronyistic failure.

I think the above in bold is what worries everyone.

He has been known to walk into the draft room and "recommend" a pick.

Heck, He waited 9 years to let Modrak into his "inner circle".

"Patience" = the bills aren't doing jack **** this offseason to improve the roster except for letting stevie walk and drafting his replacement in the 1st round.

Bingo.

Spot on observation. Ralph making those statements yesterday was mind boggling. I'm amazed at the timing. Waiting until the season ended would have kept his gurgling at a much lower profile. Maybe Johnson can teach Ralph how to tweet to reach an even wider audience. The Fitz man love from both him and gailey are the most depressing. Just the thought that the Amish Noodle will come in uncontested for the starting job has me considering egg nog and Vodka for breakfast. reading his comments would lead you to believe we have 30 draft picks. Although that how many we need to get 4 starters under Nix.

This where I get crazy about the media. If a subject gives an unclear comment - get clarification - ask a follow-up question. Do you mean "this" or "that" (etc). Instread they walk away not even knowing what was discussed and by the time they get it in print it's all about Kevin Bacon!!

Yes, it is the medias fault. :wallbash: Ralph has always spoken in generalities like this.

I think he meant faster players. I sure hope so, our group of WRs are slow.

i've seen a lot of insane posts defending monty burns wilson, but this might top them all.

did you just really say the team flat-out sucks for approximately 75% of wilsons time as owner because not enough people vote republican in western new york? did you really just say that?

:lol: Yeah, I think that's his argument :lol: