Ralph Wilson optimistic Toronto series will be renewed

While you're right about the Oilers game, I don't remember them having any problem selling out that Chiefs game. Although now that I think about it, you could be right - because the previous two games were the coldest two games in Bills history, everybody was thinking that the Chiefs game would be just as cold, so maybe tickets sold a little slower. (I know I had a lot of trouble finding hand warmers and such).

I thought Ralph gave the shovelers the tickets as an incentive to shovel. That week was freezing, wasn't it?

There was no mention of tickets until we lined up to collect our pay. It was a nice surprise. Let me tell you shoveling RWS is not fun! About 18 inches fell that week. It was freezing cold and windy, and we had to attack each row with narrow shovels and carry the snow to a chute laid down the aisle.

After we got paid a guy I was working with said he was taking the bus home so I offered him a ride. He was not shoveling snow for beer money. He needed every penny to make ends meet. Seeing people in real need makes you take a look at yourself. I was out of work for 6 weeks, got unemployment, and never came close to getting into money trouble. I'm lucky. Some folks shovel snow in bitter cold just to feed their kids.

PTR

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no mention of tickets until we lined up to collect our pay. It was a nice surprise. Let me tell you shoveling RWS is not fun! About 18 inches fell that week. It was freezing cold and windy, and we had to attack each row with narrow shovels and carry the snow to a chute laid down the aisle.

After we got paid a guy I was working with said he was taking the bus home so I offered him a ride. He was not shoveling snow for beer money. He needed every penny to make ends meet. Seeing people in real need makes you take a look at yourself. I was out of work for 6 weeks, got unemployment, and never came close to getting into money trouble. I'm lucky. Some folks shovel snow in bitter cold just to feed their kids.

PTR

I remember thinking damn, I am so glad that I'm not doing that right now! Good for you that you did it - it says a lot.

You know, Freak, you must be an MBA or something because you are sooooo smart. You have this NFL stuff all figured out. Yep, Ralph makes hundreds of millions of dollars and has absolutely no expenses of any kind.

PTR

Did some checking and found this out.

The new tv deals are going from 2014-2022 and estimated to be $39.6 billion. That divided by 8 years is $4.95 billion per year. That divided by 32 teams is $154,687,500 million per team per year over the 8 years. This doesn't include DirecTV sunday ticket which will be sold to the highest bidder once the contract with DirecTV ends in 2014. That will probably be somewhere north of $5 billion and expiring around 2022 also.

Any event the current salary cap floor is around $108 and ceiling $120 million. So what ever difference between the Bills salaries and that $154 million is going in Ralphs pocket starting in 2014 of course. The current tv deals which expire in 2013 are estimated at only $20.4 billion which isn't too shabby either. So why is there this mantra that selling to Toronto is a necessity to keep the team here? The NFL and Ralph are laughing all the way to the bank and most people don't realize how bad their being fleeced and duped.

What does he care if he fields a competitive team or not. A few $50-$100 unbought tickets is peanuts/pocket change to Ralph as the money reeped by the TV deals dwarfs unbought tickets. Ralph is guaranteed hundreds of millions every year regardless if he has competitive teams or only sells 10,000 tickets per home game. In the grand scheme it is all about the negotiations with ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC, DirectTV that keep him/all of the owners wealthy, not ticket sales. So again what does he care if his teams win or not!

I am not sure what your getting at? Are you trying to tell me this? I'm pretty sure my post is clear that I am not one of those people that care about the product enough to stop buying tickets until the product gets better. So if you agreeing with my post yiu have a strange way of saying it. If not, regardless, I agree with you. Not that Ralph and the organization doesn't want or wouldn't take as much as they can from ticket sales, it's the NFL contracts with tv that they all male thier money on. So much that they profit from that alone. Anything else is just pocket change.

Any event the current salary cap floor is around $108 and ceiling $120 million. So what ever difference between the Bills salaries and that $154 million is going in Ralphs pocket starting in 2014 of course.

And it's only the players that get paid from that? What about the front office employees? Power/heat bills? New training room equipment? Paper for the printers? Computer equipment? Cleaning crew? Charter planes/buses to away games?

I am not sure what your getting at? Are you trying to tell me this? I'm pretty sure my post is clear that I am not one of those people that care about the product enough to stop buying tickets until the product gets better. So if you agreeing with my post yiu have a strange way of saying it. If not, regardless, I agree with you. Not that Ralph and the organization doesn't want or wouldn't take as much as they can from ticket sales, it's the NFL contracts with tv that they all male thier money on. So much that they profit from that alone. Anything else is just pocket change.

Well an original AFL owner doesn't even make his money on tv contracts. Even that is chump change. He made his money on appreciation of a 25K investment. Thirty two teams in the league. Those team values are not like a current stagnant real estate purchase. Franchise values go up every year.For an original franchise owner it's all good. He has no debt on this investment.

Well an original AFL owner doesn't even make his money on tv contracts. Even that is chump change. He made his money on appreciation of a 25K investment. Thirty two teams in the league. Those team values are not like a current stagnant real estate purchase. Franchise values go up every year.For an original franchise owner it's all good. He has no debt on this investment.

this is the most important point i've seen made on this board in quite a while. just think how much more committed an owner servicing a several hundred mil debt must be to winning than is wilson. imagine how much the new owner of the bills will need to be to produce a top tier team.

Edited by birdog1960