Emerging Sub Plot in Draft could effect Bills ...

truth on hold

Colts upset over Titans puts them in a precarious situation only one behind Rams and Vikes. Not sure how the tie breakers would work out, but it's now possible #1 overall (which had been assumed theirs) to go to someone else. They play last game at home vs Jags which would is a toss up. If they finish behind Rams and/or Vikes, neither may take a QB. That opens possibility for someone like Bills to trade into #1 or #2 overall. In this scenario if Manning is healthy, I could see Colts just staying at #2 or #3 and using the draft to provide supporting players for his remaining years. This opens door for someone like Bills to trade up and snatch Luck or RG3. OF COURSE Colts could also lose the final game under suspicious circumstances, which IMO should bring heavy fines and forfeiture of their 1st round pick if it can be proven they threw the game.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Colts upset over Titans puts them in a precarious situation only one behind Rams and Vikes. Not sure how the tie breakers would work out, but it's now possible #1 overall (which had been assumed theirs) to go to someone else. They play last game at home vs Jags which would is a toss up. If they finish behind Rams and/or Vikes, neither may take a QB. That opens possibility for someone like Bills to trade into #1 or #2 overall. In this scenario if Manning is healthy, I could see Colts just staying at #2 or #3 and using the draft to provide supporting players for his remaining years. This opens door for someone like Bills to trade up and snatch Luck or RG3. OF COURSE Colts could also lose the final game under suspicious circumstances, which IMO should bring heavy fines and forfeiture of their 1st round pick if it can be proven they threw the game.

With the rookie salary cap in place, NO team will forego the chance to take a franchise qb. It is never going to happen.

Nice dream, though.

Looks very much to me like the Bills will get a shot at Barkley or RGIII . the issue is whether you do it or not.

Rams have too much invested in bradford to take on another. There's some risk vikes could give up on ponder after 1 year but I'll only believe it when I see it.

If you had a QB that looked like an East German woman when you drafted him and started playing like an East German women a few years later, would you draft a QB?

OF COURSE Colts could also lose the final game under suspicious circumstances, which IMO should bring heavy fines and forfeiture of their 1st round pick if it can be proven they threw the game.

How could a team as bad as the Colts ever be suspected of throwing a game? Seriously? :doh:

Rams have too much invested in bradford to take on another. There's some risk vikes could give up on ponder after 1 year but I'll only believe it when I see it.

Rams would trafe Bradford for a second to get rid of the contract and upgrade at QB.

Clearly Bradford isn't a franchise QB if they're back at the top of the draft again.

Rams would trafe Bradford for a second to get rid of the contract and upgrade at QB.

Clearly Bradford isn't a franchise QB if they're back at the top of the draft again.

If he's clearly not a franchise qb (which I don't agree), whose going to trade a 2nd for him and assume his monster contract?

Andrew Luck would never sign with Buffalo.

The Bills always think they are smarter than the NFL- Whitner, Mike Williams, James Hardy, Maybin, Lynch, POZ, Flowers...

FOr Gos Sake pick a Franchise Qb.

Poz was an excellent pick for his draft position. He's a good player who wanted more money than Ralph would dole out.

Buddy doesn't trade up because he's smarter than the rest of the NFL. :sick:

It's the same reason that he doesn't trade down. He does, however, feel incredibly lucky that for two years in a row, the random placing of the draft has put him in the exact right spot for 15 consecutive picks.

I suspect that either the Rams or Vikings would leap at the opportunity to take Luck. Good organizations without clear franchise QBs will almost always take oe if he's there regardless of the money they have invested in the position. Bradford is not very good. Neither is Ponder, who is also very tradeable.

I think it's hard to predict what the Rams will do. They will have a new coach in place. I think they need offensive line, cornerback or WR talent over another high draft pick QB. They could pick Kalil and move Smith to Guard. Or draft Blackmon as a weapon for Bradford.

The Vikings and Colts are historically bad on defense, and could use playmakers there more than a franchise QB. Their defenses stop less people than the Bills.

Craziest post of the day!

A league investigation if the Colts lose another game?? Now THAT'S funny. Their win yeaterday should prompt an investigation.

Colts will take a QB with their first pick. Manning is done or close to it. Polian knows this. You know Manning wanted to start throwing, practicing and maybe playing now but Polian put an end to that talk yesterday.

The Vikings and Colts are historically bad on defense, and could use playmakers there more than a franchise QB. Their defenses stop less people than the Bills.

If only the Colts could have landed playmakers like Mathis, Freeney, Bethea, Sanders.......

In the past 7 seasons, the Colts D has been in the top 10 in fewest points allowed 4 times. Historically, that's pretty good.

Craziest post of the day!

A league investigation if the Colts lose another game?? Now THAT'S funny. Their win yeaterday should prompt an investigation.

Colts will take a QB with their first pick. Manning is done or close to it. Polian knows this. You know Manning wanted to start throwing, practicing and maybe playing now but Polian put an end to that talk yesterday.

That, along with the Packers Loss and the Broncos last 7 games (before yesterday) have me thinking that Godell is only the figure head of the league, and its really being run by Vince McMahon. The Chiefs, of all teams, were the ones to make the Packers look bad?????

Someone that thinks he is, like you.

A 2nd is GD deal for a franchise QB. Look at what the Bungals got for that turd Palmer from the Raiders.

Someone that thinks he is, like you.

A 2nd is GD deal for a franchise QB. Look at what the Bungals got for that turd Palmer from the Raiders.

Didn't say he was. Objecting to your words that he's "clearly not" a franchise QB as if that were some kind of league-wide view. To me book is still open on him. What is clear is that he has a contract that's above market having been executed one year prior to the rookie cap. Accepting that and giving up a 2nd (which you take for granted) is unrealistic IMO

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

But with this bumbling management, the worst owner in the league, ... Bust after bust....

What exactly is wrong with this past year's draft class? Are you upset Jasper hasn't produced yet??

Dareus is everything he was supposed to be - getting sacks even though he's forced to play NT.

Aaron Williams has been hurt a bit, but when he's been out there he looks very good.

Sheppard is getting better every week - he looks like the big aggressive tackler we haven't had at ILB since - I don't know when! He was making plays all over the place - including the Miami backfield.

Justin Rodgers looks awfully good - a real late-round steal.

Seriously - this draft is looking very good.

Add two actual OLB's and (sadly) maybe a new QB and have just half the league-worst injuries and this team is absolutely playoff-bound.

Rams Vikes and Colts will all grab the next Payton Manning no matter who is their QB.

That's 100% ridiculous. Colts are going QB, Rams and Vikings are absolutely not.

Buddy doesn't trade up because he's smarter than the rest of the NFL. :sick:

Trading up is stupid and most GMs know it--or at least the good ones do (see Patriots strategy of trading down for more picks almost EVERY year). You want more picks--not less-in the draft. The NFL draft has a huge luck side to it. Huge.

Trading up is stupid and most GMs know it--or at least the good ones do (see Patriots strategy of trading down for more picks almost EVERY year). You want more picks--not less-in the draft. The NFL draft has a huge luck side to it. Huge.

Excuse me?!!! You have to have a QB! The Patriots are a team that has the ultimate franchise QB. You are nothing in this league unless you have one of those.

The Steelers knew this. Were the Steelers stupid in trading up for Rothlesburger?

BTW, the Patriots have done squat with all of those extra picks and should have been using them to trade up for impact pro bowl type players. Have you seen their defense?

Looks very much to me like the Bills will get a shot at Barkley or RGIII . the issue is whether you do it or not.

I like this thread. I hoep your right. I think the Rams haev too much in Bradford, the Vikings are good with Ponder, who is playing decent football, and will only get better. Even if the Colts take Luck, I'd rather have RG3 (or Barkley). I would pull the trigger on that. #1 step in rebuliding is gettting a QB who can make all the throws that an NFL QB needs to make. Fitz will make a nice backup. He prob won't throw a fit either because of all the $$ he will be making, and NO team will give him a shot at #1 after this year.

Excuse me?!!! You have to have a QB! The Patriots are a team that has the ultimate franchise QB. You are nothing in this league unless you have one of those.

The Steelers knew this. Were the Steelers stupid in trading up for Rothlesburger?

BTW, the Patriots have done squat with all of those extra picks and should have been using them to trade up for impact pro bowl type players. Have you seen their defense?

Agreed.

I suspect that either the Rams or Vikings would leap at the opportunity to take Luck. Good organizations without clear franchise QBs will almost always take oe if he's there regardless of the money they have invested in the position. Bradford is not very good. Neither is Ponder, who is also very tradeable.

I'd take Ponder for a 2nd. I think he's good. He's better than Fitz.

I think it's hard to predict what the Rams will do. They will have a new coach in place. I think they need offensive line, cornerback or WR talent over another high draft pick QB. They could pick Kalil and move Smith to Guard. Or draft Blackmon as a weapon for Bradford.

This is true. And the Colts could loose I think both Mathis AND Freeny this year to FA. They may pick a defensive player over Luck. Although I doubt it. But I see Minny going Def and not giving up on Ponder after 1/2 a year with a truncated preseason, etc.

Are you attacking the Patriots' record of success?

I guess you'd prefer the Bills trade up into the first again for JP Losman redux.

Thanks for making my point so perfectly about the luck of the draft and needing more picks by citing Brady. He was of course a 7th rounder. Rodgers was a low first. Brees a high second. Romo was undrafted. Schaub a 3rd rounder. Those are the top 5 NFL passers this year. The NFL draft is an informed crapshoot. The better teams don't make less picks if they have the choice.

To move up to #1 from 8-12 will cost the Bills more than a 2nd rounder. It would probably take multiple seconds and at least next year's first. On a team riddled with holes, that would be stupid beyond belief. Just use the picks and keep building.

Edited by Observer

The pass rush has had serious issues for years. So, spending a 1st rounder on a QB makes no sense when the D has so many needs.

I have upgraded QB a fwe notches on the needs list but with so many glaring holes, the last thing the Bills need is less picks.

Needs before QB

LDE

RDE

LOLB

ROLB

(on linebacker issue, anyone notice Moats just getting swallowed lately. Guy looks like Maybin v1.0 all of a sudden)

LT

C (depending on Wood's fragility issues)

Then maybe QB.

Edited by Observer

That, along with the Packers Loss and the Broncos last 7 games (before yesterday) have me thinking that Godell is only the figure head of the league, and its really being run by Vince McMahon. The Chiefs, of all teams, were the ones to make the Packers look bad?????

And Buffalo crushed the Chiefs... Therefore, Buffalo must be the best team in the league! :w00t:

I guess you'd prefer the Bills trade up into the first again for JP Losman redux.Thanks for making my point so perfectly about the luck of the draft and needing more picks by citing Brady. He was of course a 7th rounder. Rodgers was a low first. Brees a high second. Romo was undrafted. Schaub a 3rd rounder. Those are the top 5 NFL passers this year. The NFL draft is an informed crapshoot. The better teams don't make less picks if they have the choice.

He was actually a 6th rounder, drafted at #199

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to moving up or down. The draft is more about luck (not Andrew) and finding the best players available. How many people now would give up their entire years picks in the draft to draft Manning or Brady after seeing wwhat they would do in the NFL? Having as many picks possible in a draft means nothing if you pick the wrong players. The most that having a bunch of picks does is it increases the chances of you finding atleast one good player.

The draft is about Quality, not Quantity.

I'm willing to bet we don't. First, the team seems to be set on Fitz as the starting QB. Second, my guess is that they will draft defense in the first round.

And Buffalo crushed the Chiefs... Therefore, Buffalo must be the best team in the league! :w00t:

So are the bills now the SuperBowl Favorites and in the playoffs? :lol:

Seriously, a team that was destroyed by the Bills and a few other teams this year turns into a team that holds the Green Bay offence to under 20 points just because of Orton and making a coaching change to Crennell? I don't buy it. Either the Pack threw the game to try adn get the pressure off of being "perfect" and so they can focus on the playoffs, or the league is being run by Vegas and the bookies

He was actually a 6th rounder, drafted at #199

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to moving up or down. The draft is more about luck (not Andrew) and finding the best players available. How many people now would give up their entire years picks in the draft to draft Manning or Brady after seeing wwhat they would do in the NFL? Having as many picks possible in a draft means nothing if you pick the wrong players. The most that having a bunch of picks does is it increases the chances of you finding atleast one good player.

The draft is about Quality, not Quantity.

You, too, make my point. You're right to say that luck plays a HUGE factor, which is why you need more picks, not less.

So are the bills now the SuperBowl Favorites and in the playoffs? :lol:

Seriously, a team that was destroyed by the Bills and a few other teams this year turns into a team that holds the Green Bay offence to under 20 points just because of Orton and making a coaching change to Crennell? I don't buy it. Either the Pack threw the game to try adn get the pressure off of being "perfect" and so they can focus on the playoffs, or the league is being run by Vegas and the bookies

Packers offensive line is a mess right now. They lost first and second strong RTs in that game alone. Then there was shuffling all over the line and guys looked bad.

I have upgraded QB a fwe notches on the needs list but with so many glaring holes, the last thing the Bills need is less picks.

Needs before QB

LDE

RDE

LOLB

ROLB

(on linebacker issue, anyone notice Moats just getting swallowed lately. Guy looks like Maybin v1.0 all of a sudden)

LT

C (depending on Wood's fragility issues)

Then maybe QB.

Fascinating. The Bills need two more DL for their 3-4, really?

Was it Kyle Williams or Marcell Dareus you wanted to bench/cut???

Are you attacking the Patriots' record of success?

I guess you'd prefer the Bills trade up into the first again for JP Losman redux.

Thanks for making my point so perfectly about the luck of the draft and needing more picks by citing Brady. He was of course a 7th rounder. Rodgers was a low first. Brees a high second. Romo was undrafted. Schaub a 3rd rounder. Those are the top 5 NFL passers this year. The NFL draft is an informed crapshoot. The better teams don't make less picks if they have the choice.

To move up to #1 from 8-12 will cost the Bills more than a 2nd rounder. It would probably take multiple seconds and at least next year's first. On a team riddled with holes, that would be stupid beyond belief. Just use the picks and keep building.

Losman was a late 1st round pick, which has nothing at all to do with what I'm talking about doing.

I'm talking about the Bills moving into the top 3 picks to finally select Jim Kelly's replacement after a decade and a half of avoiding doing the right thing and coming up snake eyes every single time.

Think about that, it's been over a decade and a half since we've had a franchise QB. There's no cheap way of doing it unless you expect another "once in a lifetime" Patriots' pick of Brady in the 6th.

Edited by 1billsfan