Pears signed to extension

CBD

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help but remember the Bills went after Tyson Clabo so hard when UFA opened up in February, only to be left waiting at the altar when he re-signed with Atlanta. Pears is definitely a step up from Cornell Green and the other retreads they've had in here like Mansfield Wrotto and Cordaro Howard they tried last year. At the same time, I would hope the plan is not to be content with a Hairston/Pears LT/RT combination for 2012.

Bingo! I'm ok with this if the plan is to resign Bell and have Pears and Hairston fight it out for starting RT, with Hairston being able fill in at LT if Bell goes down. But, I'm afraid with the Bills that's not the plan. This guarantees that Hairston will be penciled in at starting LT with no obvious back-up on the roster. So, Hairston, who looks like a real find as a road-grader RT, will be somewhat out of position at LT, with a just above journeyman RT and zero depth. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have no problem with this signing but my opinion on him has changed.....he is a backup swing OT and suits that role well.....

Please resign Bell

Then please move Hairston to the RT spot

You do this and you have OT on this team covered

Yes to all except the last point. We still need a stud LT - Bell is not that and plus hasn't shown to be consistently healthy. We should place LT very high on our priority list. NOt sure what the Pears deal was worth, but we need him for depth. Hairston may be the long term answer at RT.

Slightly off topic, but we need - LT, vertical threat WR and QB for our O.

Can't help but remember the Bills went after Tyson Clabo so hard when UFA opened up in February, only to be left waiting at the altar when he re-signed with Atlanta. Pears is definitely a step up from Cornell Green and the other retreads they've had in here like Mansfield Wrotto and Cordaro Howard they tried last year. At the same time, I would hope the plan is not to be content with a Hairston/Pears LT/RT combination for 2012.

Supposedly, Clabo has struggled big time for ATL this year. Bullet dodged I guess. And the Bills are rewarding players who performed. Pears isn't a pro bowler but he has be a very solid player and the oline needs to stay together. I hope they keep this group together. This is how you develop depth.

Hopefully, SJ and Jackson are next. However, I worry that their agents have over inflated value of what they are worth.

Hopefully, SJ and Jackson are next. However, I worry that their agents have over inflated value of what they are worth.

It's our front office's job to negotiate with both of these guys. Every player has an agent that wants more than their player is worth. If our front office can't come to a resolution, they need to be fired. Get it done or GTFO.

It's our front office's job to negotiate with both of these guys. Every player has an agent that wants more than their player is worth. If our front office can't come to a resolution, they need to be fired. Get it done or GTFO.

Bottomline, we have no idea what is going on negotations. WE need both of those guys and I want them back. But does SJ deserve Fitzgerald money? Hell no but he might think he does. And Jackson just got a new contract that paid him very well as a backup rb. He has a year left and is 30. He deserves a raise but how much? How do we know Jackson doesn't want to get paid like Peterson? These talks aren't as cut and dry as most fans want them to be.

1323798342[/url]' post='2335174']

That's fine. He is going to sign somewhere for big money and then flop like Bernard Berrian, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Alvin Harper, etc.

He drops too many important passes and does not seem to be someone who you can just throw it up to like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Fitzherald, etc.

If we keep him, great. If not, oh well.

Sigh

His nose might be hard but his feet got soft once the ink dried on his contract.

Most players would not have even tried to play on it. He made it what 5 games? Your ignorance is alarming.

Ok, one more time... The Bills have approached Stevie and Freddie. It is Stevie's camp and Freddie's camp that decided to wait until after the season. It takes two to tango.

The Bills approached Jackson in preseason during the "starter controversy". He chose to wait.

Perhaps Freddie would be more apt to tangoing now that he's on IR. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Edited by The AntiFin

Bingo! I'm ok with this if the plan is to resign Bell and have Pears and Hairston fight it out for starting RT, with Hairston being able fill in at LT if Bell goes down. But, I'm afraid with the Bills that's not the plan. This guarantees that Hairston will be penciled in at starting LT with no obvious back-up on the roster. So, Hairston, who looks like a real find as a road-grader RT, will be somewhat out of position at LT, with a just above journeyman RT and zero depth. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The Bills haven't selected an OT in the first three rounds of the draft since big Mike in 2002. There isn't a team in the entire league that doesn't look for their OT's strictly in the late rounds, on other teams' PS, or off the street like Buffalo does. Bell has proven unable to stay healthy, Hairston needs a lot of work physically, and Pears is slightly above replacement level. If that's acceptable to the team, it'll be hard to compete.

If Gailey is going to be behind in games and forced to call as many throws as he does, it stands to reason they'll look for better options at both OT positions.

Yes to all except the last point. We still need a stud LT - Bell is not that and plus hasn't shown to be consistently healthy. We should place LT very high on our priority list. NOt sure what the Pears deal was worth, but we need him for depth. Hairston may be the long term answer at RT.

Slightly off topic, but we need - LT, vertical threat WR and QB for our O.

With all the other needs on this team do you honestly expect them to resign Bell AND go after another high priced offensive linemen?

I dont

The Bills haven't selected an OT in the first three rounds of the draft since big Mike in 2002. There isn't a team in the entire league that doesn't look for their OT's strictly in the late rounds, on other teams' PS, or off the street like Buffalo does. Bell has proven unable to stay healthy, Hairston needs a lot of work physically, and Pears is slightly above replacement level. If that's acceptable to the team, it'll be hard to compete.

If Gailey is going to be behind in games and forced to call as many throws as he does, it stands to reason they'll look for better options at both OT positions.

Why can't anyone take a step back and give a little credit to the o-line? They've been the best unit on our team all year and they've played their asses off. They've allowed the least sacks in the league and are top ten in YPC. What more do they need to do? What would you say about them if they were say, in the middle of the pack in sacks allowed? I can't even imagine. Good signing for the Bills.

As has been pointed out many times, FJ is already under contract for next year. No doubt he holds out at the time of training camp if a deal isn't done. The funny thing is the longer CJ starts and sucks the more FJ will want. nix should have extended him at mid-season.

Pears signing was wise. There are only so many holes that can be addressed. If they re-up Bell then there are three starters(I didn't say great)signed to play OT next year.

I would sign FJ and Bell. Franchise Stevie and make him prove it one more year. Sign a veteran WR in FA and draft another in the second round. Then draft OLB first round and third round. Add a true center, another TE, a DE, and a CB in the rest of the draft.

Wouldn't be a wise move by Freddie, given the concern a knee injury always is for a RB. The team should resign him and give him some recompense for his performance this season, but then again, contracts in the NFL are not based on what a player has done, but what he will do. It's like FJ can't get a break when it comes to actually having leverage in a contract situation.

Given that and given Spiller's performance, I would not be surprised to see an early RB pick (2nd or 3rd).

Edited by UConn James

Stevie Johnson probably won't be a Bill next year. Is it the end of the world? Well with the Bills no.IMO, Johnson would be a nightmare on a team with even moderate success. We don't need some show off who is a decent but far from great #2 receiver. He'd be lost in the depth chart on a couple of teams. For Buffalo, some fans think he could be the second coming of Andre Reed.It's Not going to happen. Personally, he is replaceable. BTW how many game winning TD's has he brought in during the past two seasons? Is he clutch? Then why is he demanding that type of payday? As for a return to the SF bay area. he does not have the speed the Raiders would want. I don't see the 9ers showing any interest in him and I track that NFC team.

Stevie could get himself a big case of the cold shoulder (see Donte Whitner) when it comes to a big payday. Smart GM's see the whole production picture. Including the catch's, drops, Antics. He is a gamer, plays injured, etc. but certainly not in TO's class, unless showing off is now a stat. TO dropped a LOT of balls. He also CAUGHT a lot of game winners. There is a difference between these two show offs.

Signing Pears was a no brainer for Nix. Is he going to be a depth player? Doubt it. He is going to start, unless one bills drive awakes from its 12 year nap. They will continue to find their depth in the leagues dumpsters. Sadly, it's how we do business and everyone now knows it.

GO BILLS