The Bills should hire Mike Mayock

jocap55

Just have to get this off my chest - I'm a lurker here, rarely post. I've been a die-hard Bills fan since I saw Jack Kemp come off the bench replacing Tom Flores to beat the Jets.

I know football and I love the draft - two things the Bills suck at.

I just want to say this - HIRE MIKE MAYOCK TO RUN OUR DRAFT

I am so sick of missing and watching other teams pick gems. Look at a guy like T.J Yates - 5th round pick

4/1/11: Mike Mayock is a fan of T.J. Yates. "There's a quiet buzz out there about T.J. Yates as a late-round pick. He's a good, safe, late-round quarterback." Yates completed an amazing 110 of 112 passes at North Carolina's Pro Day.

I swear I don't know if I can take anymore.

Just have to get this off my chest - I'm a lurker here, rarely post. I've been a die-hard Bills fan since I saw Jack Kemp come off the bench replacing Tom Flores to beat the Jets.

I am so sick of missing and watching other teams pick gems. Look at a guy like T.J Yates - 5th round pick

4/1/11: Mike Mayock is a fan of T.J. Yates. "There's a quiet buzz out there about T.J. Yates as a late-round pick. He's a good, safe, late-round quarterback." Yates completed an amazing 110 of 112 passes at North Carolina's Pro Day.

There's been worse ideas. Peter King tweeted just last week that he thought that Mayock would make a good GM if he had great finance guys around him. So maybe when we get new owners?

You mean the guy who if he were the GM of the Carolina Panthers would have taken Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton? No thanks. Mayock lost all credibility with his man love of Gabbert.

What the Bills should do is fire Nix and Gailey, promote Whaley as GM and have him hire a football consultant like Parcells or Dungy to provide an outside opinion of what the needs are to get this team back to winning again.

I suspect these draft experts are content to sit in the skybox and make their picks without any consequences but I think it might be of value to use evaluations from guys like Mayock and Kiper as an input (but not the only input) in developing your draft board and validating the teams consensus opinion of specific players.

For example, Nix decides to pick a particular player with the 2nd round pick next April and the consensus of draft 'experts' slot the guy as a 4th round selection rather than a 2nd. That should raise a 'red flag' and cause them to examine the reasoning behind the pick. They might still decide to pick that player but at least there's a conscious effort to think through the selection using some external and hopefully unbiased input.

You mean the guy who if he were the GM of the Carolina Panthers would have taken Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton? No thanks. Mayock lost all credibility with his man love of Gabbert.

What the Bills should do is fire Nix and Gailey, promote Whaley as GM and have him hire a football consultant like Parcells or Dungy to provide an outside opinion of what the needs are to get this team back to winning again.

i like Nix....but Parcells has no equal in evaluating talent and building a winner.

i like Nix....but Parcells has no equal in evaluating talent and building a winner.

I don't trust Nix anymore. The Spiller pick and Gailey's 4-12 and soon to be 5-11 season tells me that he completely blew two of the biggest decisions he's had as the Bills GM.

I really would like to have a guy like Parcells come in as a consultant. He has a lot of connections and might know of a hidden college coach gem who'd be willing to take on this head coaching challenge.

Plus, I'd like to know what his opinion is of the roster moves he'd make. Advice from a NFL team builder of this magnitude would be well worth the hefty charge.

Edited by 1billsfan

That is an awesome idea. This team will NOT move forward with Nix and Gailey at the helm. They have no clue how to evaluate football talent, and to mesh that talent into a winning team. When Gailey comes out and says he is absolutely positive that Fitz is the guy to lead this team, he loses ALL CREDIBILITY with the fan base as far as I am concerned. It shows that he has no idea what it takes from the QB position to build a winner in this day and age. For the most part teams do not run the ball 50 times a game anymore. A talented QB is needed to win consistently. Fitz is NOT TALENTED. Bring in a fresh mind in the front office PLEASE.

What in gods green earth were Buddy Nix's qualifications to be a GM of a football team? Does anyone know?

Firstly, Mike Mayock was a big fan of both of our first 2 picks this past year. He thought Dareus was the perfect pick for us and was also a fan of the Aaron Williams pick of the 2nd round. He also was high on our pick with Spiller saying things like Chan will really know how to utuilize a playmaker like spiller. Also, before we start singing his TJ Yates praises let's point out that he was very low on Cam Newton saying he was extremely far from pro ready. He said Blaine Gabbert is easily the most pro ready QB. Still think Mike Mayock would be the draft savior?

Is Astrobot not available?

The same one who thinks that Robert Griffin III is a second round talent? :wallbash:

Read an interesting article on Parcells in the last year.

The guy, at least recently, bails quickly and it's debateable whether or not he leaves an organization better than he finds them.

Firstly, Mike Mayock was a big fan of both of our first 2 picks this past year. He thought Dareus was the perfect pick for us and was also a fan of the Aaron Williams pick of the 2nd round. He also was high on our pick with Spiller saying things like Chan will really know how to utuilize a playmaker like spiller. Also, before we start singing his TJ Yates praises let's point out that he was very low on Cam Newton saying he was extremely far from pro ready. He said Blaine Gabbert is easily the most pro ready QB. Still think Mike Mayock would be the draft savior?

Thanks for shedding light on this. I think this is just desparate fans trying to grasp anyone who will come and save the team. Sometimes it's not the talent but the coaching in the NFL. Gailey made something out of nothing on the Offense, not so much on the Defense. Yes, they need players and have alot of players on injured reserve, but I think alot of this comes down to coaching and the systems we have in place. They're predictable and suck bad, that's why we're 5-11.

And we can make a list of the players he was wrong about too. There are no guarantees! Stop looking for them. Some guys play well immediately. Some guys play well after a number of years. Some guys play well with a change of coaches or scenery. Other guys wash out completely. EVERY team has each one of these types of draft picks. It ain't just the Bills. And there is no personnel man or TV analyst who gets every opinion about a player correct.

Edited by purple haze

Thanks for shedding light on this. I think this is just desparate fans trying to grasp anyone who will come and save the team. Sometimes it's not the talent but the coaching in the NFL. Gailey made something out of nothing on the Offense, not so much on the Defense. Yes, they need players and have alot of players on injured reserve, but I think alot of this comes down to coaching and the systems we have in place. They're predictable and suck bad, that's why we're 5-11.

Yeah, definitely a desperation thread. However, Mayock does appear to be very competent and well spoken so I could see where somebody would think highly of him as a GM cadidate. He definitely does a huge amount of research and has great work ethic. But we also must point out that his jusgment has been way off on some huge calls. those are the kinds of things that get GMs fired. For example if he was Carolina's GM and passed on Newton, everybody would now be calling for his head.

I still have faith in Nix and Gailey. I want Ralph to give them at least 5 years to right this ship. I'm sick of 3 years and you're out. That hasn't worked. I want to give these guys a real good shot at getting things going here. Keep the faith Bills Brotherhood.

On the Parcells note I think he is a very good talent evaluator. I think this is especially true for players in the Trenches. However, he has never been a good QB drafter. At most of his destinations, that was his biggest weakness IMO.

Mayock who predicted that Robert Ayers would be the best defensive player to come out of that draft?

Yeah, that was beyond stupid. Ayers didn't ever start until his senior year and was hardly a dominant player. At least Mayock probably made Ayers a few million. And the Gabbert over Newton was beyond stupid.

I think Mayock is one of the best at his business. But there's a reason he does TV and doesn't run a team. The same thing with Mel Kiper. There is zero accountability in sports media. However if you are a real GM, one bad pick and fans are ready to fire you.

I agree with promoting Whaley, but as far as Parcells or Dungy coming to Buffalo, the Bills last General Manager and Head Coach search proved the state of franchise is too toxic for most NFL Personnel.