The bills have the worst defense I have ever seen

berndogg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next week will tell a lot if they have any clue going foward. Spencer isnt your future at OLB, why not activate Coleman and see what he can do, it cant be any worse.

The Spencer Johnson situation is the most damning thing about our defense. It's unbelievable to me that even with Kelsay back in the lineup, Johnson is still starting and playing most of the time at OLB. At least 1 big play is given up every week because Johnson is too slow and too out of position to do anything about it, and yet the coaches keep trotting him out there over Moats or Coleman. Don't they watch film? Can't they see teams breaking huge runs to his side, even when he correctly reads the play, because he's just not fast enough to contain the RB? Are they surprised that this keeps happening? Do they think other teams are just getting lucky fluke plays over and over? GAH!

By the way, no ill will towards Spencer. He's trying his best out there, and doing what his coaches tell him to do without (public) complaint. That's all you can ask of a guy. It's not his fault that his moron coaches think that a DT/DE hybrid should be playing out in space.

The Spencer Johnson situation is the most damning thing about our defense. It's unbelievable to me that even with Kelsay back in the lineup, Johnson is still starting and playing most of the time at OLB. At least 1 big play is given up every week because Johnson is too slow and too out of position to do anything about it, and yet the coaches keep trotting him out there over Moats or Coleman. Don't they watch film? Can't they see teams breaking huge runs to his side, even when he correctly reads the play, because he's just not fast enough to contain the RB? Are they surprised that this keeps happening? Do they think other teams are just getting lucky fluke plays over and over? GAH!

By the way, no ill will towards Spencer. He's trying his best out there, and doing what his coaches tell him to do without (public) complaint. That's all you can ask of a guy. It's not his fault that his moron coaches think that a DT/DE hybrid should be playing out in space.

It's almost like the coaches are trying to force someone to fire them.

I mean the only way this defense can make an impact is if the qb, untouched, drops the ball in his own endzone by accident.

I'm glad you brought this up bernogg. The reason Rivers dropped that was not totally by accident. He had Scott who came on the blitz coming after him. He got nervous by dropped the ball. This is one of the few plays I saw us blitz today. We also blitzed a few other times and at least one or two he threw an incompletion. Likewise, we didn't blitz Hasselbeck much last week. A few times did and got him make bad throws. We blitzed Vick some and messed him up.

We have played against several QBs this year who melt under pressure a total pass this year. Sanchez, Hasselbeck, Romo, and Dalton with a 14 point 2nd half lead after he'd already thrown 2 picks and lucked out on a tuck.

I think our D could be better is we just got more aggressive. If you can't bring it with 3 or 4 you gotta blitz more. But our coaching staff doesn't like to blitz evidently.

You guys must of missed about 30-40% of the Bills history, we have fielded bad, bad, bad defenses before, although it has been a while I guess. In any case, worst D in 15 years, yes. No doubt. If there is a tiny bit of some good to come out of this. I am a bit happy that some of the young guys are playing and getting in some game experience (and some of them are playing fairly well), that fact will help build quality depth. It is too bad the season has become preseason for next season already though.

I'm glad you brought this up bernogg. The reason Rivers dropped that was not totally by accident. He had Scott who came on the blitz coming after him. He got nervous by dropped the ball. This is one of the few plays I saw us blitz today. We also blitzed a few other times and at least one or two he threw an incompletion. Likewise, we didn't blitz Hasselbeck much last week. A few times did and got him make bad throws. We blitzed Vick some and messed him up.

We have played against several QBs this year who melt under pressure a total pass this year. Sanchez, Hasselbeck, Romo, and Dalton with a 14 point 2nd half lead after he'd already thrown 2 picks and lucked out on a tuck.

I think our D could be better is we just got more aggressive. If you can't bring it with 3 or 4 you gotta blitz more. But our coaching staff doesn't like to blitz evidently.

I'm not saying you're wrong about them having to be more aggressive, but Rivers was completely untouched on his fumble. Yes, there is a chance that he was rushing the throw, but the ball clearly slipped out of his hand. Saying Scott's pressure forced Rivers to fumble is like saying that a DB's footsteps caused a receiver to drop a pass. Once again, maybe they would be more effective if they blitzed more, but that play certainly doesn't prove it.

On the TD by SD to Gates, who ran a simple out pattern, right before the snap, I am thinking to myself,

watch the TE, watch the TE. Then to see not even anyone around him, I just couldn't believe it, can't we

use a LB to at least bump on the line to slow him down a bit? I mean, you know it is coming and still leave

him wide open, WTF? That is coaching!!Or should I say, lack thereof!!

Edited by Cookiemonster

I'm not saying you're wrong about them having to be more aggressive, but Rivers was completely untouched ...

Fill in the name "Rivers" with any QB the Bills have played against since John Beck. It's been like this every week.

It is nearly impossible to look good on defense with a passrush this bad.

I think the secondary has some tools - they were great against the Jets in NY - and the run defense is better than the last few years, but all that is being obscured by absolutely zero pressure on opposing QB's.

For all the complaints about Merriman not at 100% and with Kyle Williams playing hurt every week - they had a credible pass rush with those two in the lineup. Without them it's the worst pass rush I've ever seen.

And yes - it's ridiculous they are starting a DT at OLB. I have no clue what that is meant to prove. It's not Spencer Johnson's fault - he's a fine backup D-lineman and an asset to the team at his actual position.

Next thing you know, they'll be taking our fine young OLG and messing with his development by moving him around to OLT and C... Sheesh! Can you imagine? Oh wait...

Edited by BobChalmers

I mean wow, they are really bad. That is all

It comes down to coaching ... we have players who are at least minimally capable of playing in the NFL. In fact, I would argue that this is far from being the worst collection of defensive players in Bills' history but I have never ever seen a team more poorly prepared to play in game situations. The schemes are confusing if they even exist.

If Edwards is not fired the day after the season ends then something is terribly wrong. I'd fire him now ... hire Merriman as interim coach and have him draw up schemes on a chalk board because at least he'd fire up the team.

The O is sucking big but it's never gonna work when they're down 14-0, 10-0, 17-0 before they can even get some momentum going. Any gameplan is thrown out the window by the end of the 1st Qtr. Just horrible D.

I really cannot blame our injury devastated offense because they know that every time they give up the ball our Defense is going to allow the opposition to have a time consuming drive that usually leads to a score and then the opposition's defense comes back with fully charged batteries to attack our offense.

1000000% agree. He was a DT before coming to Buffalo. When have you ever even heard of a DT being turned into an OLB??? It's damning to hear that the Bills thought Von Miller was too small to play and wouldn't have taken him, but its believable watching Johnson at OLB and them trying to move Moats to ILB.

It comes down to coaching ... we have players who are at least minimally capable of playing in the NFL. In fact, I would argue that this is far from being the worst collection of defensive players in Bills' history but I have never ever seen a team more poorly prepared to play in game situations. The schemes are confusing if they even exist.

If Edwards is not fired the day after the season ends then something is terribly wrong. I'd fire him now ... hire Merriman as interim coach and have him draw up schemes on a chalk board because at least he'd fire up the team.

I really cannot blame our injury devastated offense because they know that every time they give up the ball our Defense is going to allow the opposition to have a time consuming drive that usually leads to a score and then the opposition's defense comes back with fully charged batteries to attack our offense.

Totally agree. We have players on defense that are capable if put in the right situation. This defensive coordinator has to be the worst game planner I have ever seen. Really, we did not know Rivers would throw to Gates? Really we did not know the Titans would feature Johnson, Cmon. We don't blitz, we do not double team, we don't not make any attempt to disguise our coverages. We are completely vanilla and the same defense every week. Any team can game plan for that.

Edited by jkrules

Totally agree. We have players on defense that are capable if put in the right situation. This defensive coordinator has to be the worst game planner I have ever seen. Really, we did not know Rivers would throw to Gates? Really we did not know the Titans would feature Johnson, Cmon. We don't blitz, we do not double team, we don't not make any attempt to disguise our coverages. We are completely vanilla and the same defense every week. Any team can game plan for that.

I keep hoping we would jam the recievers at the line to break up the timing of the QBs we face. The Qbs also look too comfortable against us as they have all day long back there. Guess Blitz packages are against Edwards philosophy.

I feel last year's D was worse. Teams didn't even bother throwing b/c they know they could get 5 yrds running up the middle on every down. This year they have to run outside or just hold pass blocks for 20 seconds and let their QB scan the field, stands, check his armband again back in the pocket to ensure it's the right play, figure out which DB is getting tired running back and forth accross the field. It must feel like practice for the opposing QB's not having to worry about a pass rush.

But adding beef to the middle at least made the runs over center and guard a little less easy. Ends and OLB situation is just aweful. Darius and occasiionally Dwan are the only two guys that can beat an NFL O-lineman one on one. Barnett and Shepppard are the only LB's who have any business being on the field in any capacity.