OT- Sunday Night in Buffalo?

Thurmal34

Hey TBDers!

My brother and I are flying in from Boston for the Titans game this weekend. We are stying downtown (Embassy Suites) and have our plans lined up for Saturday night (for the most part). However, I was wondering if anyone can give us some suggestions on places to go for a few beers and maybe some pool/darts/live music within walking distance (or short cab ride) of Niagara Square for Sunday night. We are not dance club type guys, looking more for tips on places that are casual/sports bar type locations that will have some people there on a Sunday (we are going Pearl St. on Sat for the Sabres game). The last couple of times I have stayed downtown for a game the Chippewa area has been pretty dead on Sunday evening so I was wondering if anyone can offer up any alternative suggestions. Heard Allen Street has some cool spots but unsure of the Sunday night scene.

Thanks!

Mods - feel free to move this post if this is not the appropriate location.

Eh. Haven't done the downtown scene in years. I'd still say Chippewa is your best best for the drinks. Depending on your taste in food there's Jims Steak Out after your already hammered, Papaya if you like the overpriced kind of think with an overpriced atmosphere. I'm a Jims man myself. I couldn't tell you what bar to go to though. Have fun and good luck. If your going to the game you could always go to Duffs on Southwestern. Or they just opened a new Biffalo Wild Wings on McKinley right across from the mall. You could always hit those up.

Hey TBDers!

My brother and I are flying in from Boston for the Titans game this weekend. We are stying downtown (Embassy Suites) and have our plans lined up for Saturday night (for the most part). However, I was wondering if anyone can give us some suggestions on places to go for a few beers and maybe some pool/darts/live music within walking distance (or short cab ride) of Niagara Square for Sunday night. We are not dance club type guys, looking more for tips on places that are casual/sports bar type locations that will have some people there on a Sunday (we are going Pearl St. on Sat for the Sabres game). The last couple of times I have stayed downtown for a game the Chippewa area has been pretty dead on Sunday evening so I was wondering if anyone can offer up any alternative suggestions. Heard Allen Street has some cool spots but unsure of the Sunday night scene.

Thanks!

Bada Bing on Chippewa - 100 yards from your hotel - sports type bar

Bada Bing on Chippewa - 100 yards from your hotel - sports type bar

I stayed in the Embassy Suites for the Pats game, and there were actually a couple of Bills in the Bada Bing afetr the game. Now, we left for the stadium at 8.30, got home at 7.30..all we were looking for was food and beer and TV's. If you are looking for action than that, can not help ya

Steer Clear of Chippewa..It was fun at one time, but the ghetto crowd moved in and it is no bueno now....

I always liked Colter Bay, Mothers and Gabriels Gate in Allentown.

Coles and Blue Monk are good safe bets for food/drinks on Elmwood.

You have a lot of choices!

Hey TBDers!

Thanks!

If you're going to be near Niagara Square, just hang out in one of the tents sent up for Occupy Buffalo.

I haven't been out on a Sunday night in years, so I would bet on the Elmwood area, too, because the only bar in Buffalo that used to be big on Sunday night's was No Names.

Ive spent a lot of time downtown buffalo... Managed 2 bars down there at one point. Here's my 2 cents:

Those of you saying stay off of chippewa on a Sunday clearly don't hang out downtown much... It will be a ghost town on chipp on a sun night.

If you are just looking to grab a beer with a friend, chill, eat, watch some football:

- Bada Bing: good sports bar, good food, good tvs

If you are looking to see some women later in the evening:

-snooty fox : gets busy on a sun night... All of the "industry people" head there on sun nights... Dj etc. just a couple blocks up Delaware from your hotel

Looking for some pretty good food, good draft collection... Place that'll be a bit busier than Bada bing:

-Colter Bay: more of a neighborhood

Also a few good places in Allentown that have been mentioned..... Also soho burger bar on chip may be open sun nights

Your best bet for live music would be to pick up a Gusto from Friday's Buffalo News. They have complete listings of bars with live music by genre. Obviously Sunday night live music choices are going to be limited when compared to Friday and Saturday, but you should have some options. I think Nietzche's on Allen has live music on Sunday's...but I have never been in there.

Anyone ever been to Blue Monk (referenced but not visited by the author in the link above)? Thoughts?

Blue Monk is great for hard core European-style beers. If you're looking for a simple draft (Blue, an IPA, what have you), then Colter Bay is the place. On the other hand, those duck fat fries at the Monk are pretty tough to pass up... :beer:

I watched a documentary on that Jeff Dunham guy last night and smiled when I saw that puppet in your avatar. What a great story Jeff is and success could not have happened to a nicer guy - I was hooked for 2 hours

That's a puppet?

That's a puppet?

I assume that is sarcasm but if it is not (and you just randomly used that picture), you should check it out as the act is pretty funny. I never heard of the guy before last night and it was pretty cool to see where he started and how far he has risen. Also, that puppet was made by a 3D printer which is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.....

I assume that is sarcasm but if it is not (and you just randomly used that picture), you should check it out as the act is pretty funny. I never heard of the guy before last night and it was pretty cool to see where he started and how far he has risen. Also, that puppet was made by a 3D printer which is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.....

Yes that was sarcasm. I actually have tickets for my son and I to see him here in Rochester in January.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! We will certainly check out some of the recommended places.

Aussie, we are definitely parking in Hammer's Lot, should have our first coldies cracked by 8:00 am! Haven't been to a game at the Ralph since '06. Can't wait!

Bada Bing has some nice eye candy. Every time I've been in there, though it has been a couple of years, there has been some attractive college aged girls.

College girls are nice but for this board I think your better off pointing thurmal to the bars that have the middle aged heffers that have all the guys outweighed by 30 pounds.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! We will certainly check out some of the recommended places.

Aussie, we are definitely parking in Hammer's Lot, should have our first coldies cracked by 8:00 am! Haven't been to a game at the Ralph since '06. Can't wait!

YouTube Buffalo For Real TV-Beer The Blue Monk is the third featured comfort zone. Also try YouTube Buffalo For Real TV-Tailgating.