Dareus is great but . . .

billswi2000

2010 Rush Defense YPA 4.8

2011 Rush Defense YPA 4.5

That's with an addition of a much better MLB and a talented rookie MLB, and stronger OLBs. We added Dareus, got rid of Stroud.

I really don't see how Dareus is "great" for .3 YPA improvement, especially with all of the other on-paper improvements we supposedly have.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are an idiot!

It's funny how you guys are getting mad at me and calling me an idiot while not disputing my argument that he's made no impact on this team.

Instead of telling me he really has had an impact and proving me wrong, I'm getting reasons (excuses?) why he hasn't made an impact.

Which in essence is an admission that he hasn't made an impact.

I'm not trashing him, I'm just telling it like it is right now. He absolutely could be the type that takes a year or two to become great, but I'm seeing an average guy right now.

Newton = huge impact

Miller = huge impact

Dareus = no impact

Green = huge impact

Let's be honest, so far he's been just an average player showing little evidence that he will ever become great.

Try watching him play, he gets double teamed on every single snap - every single snap. If we had anybody else on the D who could take advantage of this you might notice his contribution more. But if you're simply looking for sacks, tackles and the like then no, he doesn't do a thing. He makes space for others to make the plays, unfortunately our LB corps is abismal.

This is exactly what Ngata does for Baltimore the difference being that they have LBs who flow to the play and fill gaps while we only have one LB who is of quality.

Get some eyeballs, he played very good.

I have watched every game this year. I stand by my opinion.

Again, I simply don't think he's great. I'm not calling him bad, or for him to be cut, or claiming he's a bust. I hope he improves and he stays around for a long, long time.

Newton = huge impact

Miller = huge impact

Dareus = no impact

Green = huge impact

Let's be honest, so far he's been just an average player showing little evidence that he will ever become great.

Newton = shiny sports car

Miller = flashy sack master.....still iffy in run support

Dareus = Ron stopper....foundation guy (WHY IS IT SO FRIGGEN HARD TO UNDERSTAND THIS) we are in fact stopping the run

Green = flashy sports car

For christ sake

2010 Rush Defense YPA 4.8

2011 Rush Defense YPA 4.5

That's with an addition of a much better MLB and a talented rookie MLB, and stronger OLBs. We added Dareus, got rid of Stroud.

I really don't see how Dareus is "great" for .3 YPA improvement, especially with all of the other on-paper improvements we supposedly have.

This is nitpicking stats, which anyone can do.

You fail to mention that the Bills had BY FAR the most rushing attempts against (571), last year. Because our rush defense was so bad, we had the second fewest passing attempts against us (473). That wasnt due to our incredible pass rush, or our scary secondary. It was because teams didnt need to pass against us. They just handed it off and pounded us into submission on the ground. They were able to control the game at will. That is NOT the case anymore.

We are now 16th in rushing attempts against, and 14th in passing attempts. We have forced our opponents into having to be more balanced. We successfully stopped the 2nd (Philly) and 4th (Oakland) best Rushing Offenses.

But yeah, "Yards per Attempt" tell the whole story... :rolleyes:

But yeah, "Yards per Attempt" tell the whole story... :rolleyes:

And just to add to your stats, here is how our run defense looks

2010 - 169.6 yards/game

2011 (to date) - 124 yards/game

Fairly sizeable difference. I am not attributing this all to Dareus but if he was not playing pretty well, we would be only a tad lower than the 2010 number due to the loss of Kyle Williams and addition of Barnett.

And just to add to your stats, here is how our run defense looks

2010 - 169.6 yards/game

2011 (to date) - 124 yards/game

Fairly sizeable difference. I am not attributing this all to Dareus but if he was not playing pretty well, we would be only a tad lower than the 2010 number due to the loss of Kyle Williams and addition of Barnett.

Well, we can say for certain that the improvement is not due to the scheme and coaching! :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

First, i am suprised that MD is being called out at all. Regardless of what his perecieved or statistical play has amounted to.

Just saying something negative about our rookie is just horrible fandom. Really shameful actually. MR. Dareus's play should be respected. And discussed for sure as to how he could improve. But to just say something hurtful like that is awful. just because he was ready to puke before the game and was less then usual. I will restrain from ranting about how this boy might well be a Major part of our identity moving forward

Next thing you guys will want to trade Jackson.

Newton = huge impact

Miller = huge impact

Dareus = no impact

Green = huge impact

Well come on let's be honest here & see the forest for the trees !! Who else now that Williams is gone do the opponents really have to worry about as a pass rush threat ??? WELL !!!!!!!

That's right take away Williams , Merriman , & put Spencer Johnson at LB (Stupid) because he did pretty well at DE lineman then they can double Dareus & worry about him & him alone CUT THE GUY SOME FREAKIN SLACK !!

You guys only see what you want & screw the obvious man ingrates i swear !! :wallbash:

He's no Warren Sapp, that's for sure.

Wow nothing like comparing him to one of the greats! Jshhh we should just cut him now. :wallbash: Every team has atleast 1 or 2 players on Warren Sapp's level @DT. Now go watch cartoons, and look at the stats from the game later so you can complain when a player doesn't show up on it!

DTs and DEs generally don't come right in and dominate (Suh is an exception) of course neither do WRs but AJ Green has looked great from the start.

Yep. You can't really expect a 22 year old DT to come right into the NFL and be a dominant player against guys who are several years older and who have had that much more time in a pro strength and conditioning program. Its rarely going to happen. Give him at least until the end of year three.

Let me remind everyone that Ted Washington was generally considered to be a disappointment through his first four seasons with SF and Denver. We all know how that one turned out.

Yep. You can't really expect a 22 year old DT to come right into the NFL and be a dominant player against guys who are several years older and who have had that much more time in a pro strength and conditioning program. Its rarely going to happen. Give him at least until the end of year three.

Let me remind everyone that Ted Washington was generally considered to be a disappointment through his first four seasons with SF and Denver. We all know how that one turned out.

Outstanding.

Miller was straight up BENCHED earlier this season. Since then, he has really turned on.

And yes, I used "invisible" just like people saying Dareus has been "invisible". My point is that both are contributing, only more so when the star veteran is back in the lineup.

Miller's limited success without Dumervil mirrors Dareus's limited success without Williams.

excellent points. everyone saw the Denver Jets game and that was Millers best game by far. If they'd have played the Redskins Toronto game on Monday night the whole country would have been saying they should have drafted big 99.

I love the guy, he's leveled out a little the past three road games starting with Dallas. They handled him pretty well with single "ish" blocking in the middle and so did Miami. I use that term "singleish" because offensive guards always seem to bounce blocks around and help the center.

If the draft were tomorrow I would take him again at three.

HAVE PEOPLE LOST THEIR F-ING MINDS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dareus has been GREAT for a rookie playing without a lot of help. Put him in a 4-3 next to a healthy Kyle Williams and everyone would be talking about him as one of the best in the league. EVERY week there is another report by some analyst talking about how good Dareus has been this year and how he is amazing in the Bills 3-4. Just tonight I was reading this from McShay:

"Dareus has lived up to the expectations that come with being the top overall prospect on our board. The 340-pounder's versatility as a two-gap defender has been a perfect fit in Buffalo's 3-4 scheme, and he's been productive with 29 total tackles as well as 3.5 sacks and a fumble recovery."

This sentiment has been echoed so many times, from so many national sources, it is shocking that there are so many on this board who feel the exact opposite.

Watch a Patriots game...tell me what more Wilfork is doing that Dareus isn't or a Packer game with Raji. If you can't appreciate what Dareus brings to the table and what an excellent pick he was, you are simply an awful judge of talent.

Dareus: 29 Tackles, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Pass Blocks

Pro Bowl NTs:

Wilfork: 27 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 3 Pass Blocks, 2 INTs

BJ Raji: 17 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 2 Pass Blocks

The ONLY guy clearly out performing Dareus is a perenial pro-bowler who will be a consensus All-Pro this year:

Ngata: 28 Tackles, 5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 2 Pass Blocks

Edited by DC Grid

He reminds me of Raji. Similiar size and strengths. I think he has played well this year but his numbers dont show it. I expect his numbers and play to improve next year, just like Raji's did in his second year.

Edited by Thoner7