the most important position that needs an upgrade

canbuffan34

Strength and Conditioning coach! In my 30 years of watching football and this team in particular, I've never seen so many players go down with injuries in consecutive weeks. We all were told how much bigger the defensive front seven is compared to last season and yet outside of the Washington game, we have been man-handled by subpar teams! I think that Gailey summed it up best when he spoke about the lack of experienced depth on the team, however its my opinion that whoever our S and C coach is needs to find employment elsewhere, maybe he would be a good Girl Scouts leader. :wallbash:

Strength and Conditioning coach! In my 30 years of watching football and this team in particular, I've never seen so many players go down with injuries in consecutive weeks. We all were told how much bigger the defensive front seven is compared to last season and yet outside of the Washington game, we have been man-handled by subpar teams! I think that Gailey summed it up best when he spoke about the lack of experienced depth on the team, however its my opinion that whoever our S and C coach is needs to find employment elsewhere, maybe he would be a good Girl Scouts leader. :wallbash:

And it seems to happen year after year. Was it 2007 that we put 19 players on the IR? People blame the lockout, but I look around the league and it seems as if most teams have an average number of injuries.

This may be a point. Figure out which team has the fewest injuries/best conditioned athletes, take their S&C guy out to dinner, and start piling up the greenbacks until you hire him away.

I do think it's a valid point that players tend to get hurt most when playing tentative, rather than full-out. And that's something the S&C coaches can't address - that's a matter of field coaching to stay in the player's hearts and heads.

Injuries happen to all teams. Our problem is a significant lack of quality depth. Every team loses starters, good teams replace their starters with solid/good backups. The Bills have poor backups. That's all this is.

You're spot on that the Bills lack quality depth. In fact my predictions for the Bills seasons were all prefaced with "if key players stay healthy". Williams, Wood, and Jackson obviously key players.

On the other hand, it does seem the Bills are suffering disproportionate injuries. I think there is something to look at there. Grass practice field? Bring back grass to the Ralph? Pilates, like NE does? Something.

Injuries happen to all teams. Our problem is a significant lack of quality depth. Every team loses starters, good teams replace their starters with solid/good backups. The Bills have poor backups. That's all this is.

True - but few teams lose this many. 19 or 20 on IR is nuts.

This year has been especially painful in WHO has gone down. Our one pro-bowler from last year. Our only 1-st rounder on the starting offense, and now our league MVP candidate (well - runner-up candidate, since Rodgers is a lock).

Moreover - how much depth can you have for your 1st round center or pro-bowl NT? You can only start one guy at each spot - you really don't want to spend resources stocking up on depth there.

And WE HAD quality depth at OLT as it turned out - and then our backup went down too. At least neither of them was done for the season. I've argued the Bills' collapse began with Bell and Hairston going down - which led the Bills to make the decision to play Levitre out of position too. At least he'll finally be back at LG starting today - after what - five weeks?

Edited by BobChalmers

After injuries is when you see Ralph is cheap theory come to life. We have bottom of the barrel depth players as opposed to teams like the Eagles, Giants, Steelers, etc who just plug in and replace with solid NFL talent.

But Arhur Moats hit Favre last year....you mean he's not a good player? Chris Kelsay has averaged 2 sacks a year (when not playing with a above avaerage pass rusher opposite him) currently on pace...for yup you guessed it 2 sacks. Danny Batten...diet Chris Kelsay. Andra Davis- Old and slow Shep- a rookie. Mcgee- Old and injury prone...Williams= rookie Mckelvin- Bust Florence- decent at times but slow. Reggie Corner= Awful. Our safeties are alright. Our dline has 2 corner stones for the future in Williams and Dareus the rest of the dline leaves a lot to be desired. Offensively. We have practice squad fodder at wr and Steve Johnson. Now half of them are hurt... and people are surprised our offense isn't producing? ha. A good redzone threat at te but a guy who can't really work the rest of the field. Good starting rb, about to find out about Spiller. It's really no surprise why this team has nosedived.

After injuries is when you see Ralph is cheap theory come to life. We have bottom of the barrel depth players as opposed to teams like the Eagles, Giants, Steelers, etc who just plug in and replace with solid NFL talent.

Here's a question that I have had for a while:

The "Ralph is Cheap" concept is often used to refer to players. However, there is a salary cap, and I'm pretty sure that the Bills are not the cheapest team in the league (although they are near the bottom).

What about other facets of running a team? Coaches, facilities, equipment, assistants to the assistants, computers for analyzing film, etc. How much of those second and third level aspects of running a successful team are the Bills underspending on, and is this causing the team to be at a disadvantage? And yes, strength and conditioning coach is part of this.

I don't think it is really the conditioning coaches fault. I think certian players just cannot stay on the field. Mcgee has been like that forever. I love the guy... very talented, signed a contract extenstion with us, usually performs well, but he has never been one to stay on the field long. If he were on any other team, it would probably be the same thing.

As bad as we are, I think detroit is worse. I can't see best ever playing a full season and I can't see Stafford ever lasting long enough to with a SB. I am surprised he is still on the field this year to be honest.

This year is a little unusual with Jackson and K williams being out, since those are two players that never really miss a game. And wood's injuries aren't really a "conidtioning issue," though I am not an expert. and merriman? you can't blame our staff on that. I am not saying they are innocent, just saying they can't perform miricles.

But on the brightside of injuries:

Barnett has been healthy all year thus far, and the biggest knock on him was injuries. Dwan edwards has held his own for the most part since he has been here. I know he missed a couple games last year, but he has been a solid pick up for us when other teams ran away afraid of his injury. And Levitre is looking pretty damn tough. A brutal position, and I am pretty sure he has never missed a game?

The only thing I would review about the conditioning staff is the WRs...... there is something very suspicious there. seeing "illness" on so many of there injury reports is just..... bizzar and I don't get it. That is the one unit on this team I really don't get. it is sad, because I like those guys..... but they got butterfingers, can't seem to stay healthy, and as of late, can't get much seperation. For our offense this offseason, I think we need a WR more than we need linemen. And defense we need pass rusher. those two things should solve a lot of problems.

How do you explain injuries on all of the other teams? Take a look at the Pats. Half their oline and most of their secondary is out. They've been w/o Ty Warren all year as well.

With the lock out, these guys were on their own. They worked with trainers that had no clue of conditioning for an NFL athlete. So, if the S&C coaches don't have an opportunity to work with their guys in the offseason, how can they be blamed?

You want to blame someone? There's only one constant over the past 12 years... Ralph Wilson. The man is not about winning. That's a fact.

Here's a question that I have had for a while:

The "Ralph is Cheap" concept is often used to refer to players. However, there is a salary cap, and I'm pretty sure that the Bills are not the cheapest team in the league (although they are near the bottom).

What about other facets of running a team? Coaches, facilities, equipment, assistants to the assistants, computers for analyzing film, etc. How much of those second and third level aspects of running a successful team are the Bills underspending on, and is this causing the team to be at a disadvantage? And yes, strength and conditioning coach is part of this.

I remember reading a story years ago when Polian first came in how he upgraded the scouting deparment, spending more money, more scouts and treating them better, getting bigger cars since a lot them were big guys being former players. I wonder about our scouting department after this millenium of draft busts.

True - but few teams lose this many. 19 or 20 on IR is nuts.

There was a pretty in depth study a few years ago about losing and guys on IR that found that the causation was linked surprisingly strong in the opposite direction you'd expect - a winning team doesn't shelve nearly as many guys because they want them back for December//January. A losing team can't afford to wait for guys if they want to turn it around, and then once out of it there's no need to rush guys back and risk further injury.

Actual number of injuries didn't vary that much team to team. Obviously who gets hurt effects things, and there are exceptions but that's always the case in leaguewide generalizations.

I remember reading a story years ago when Polian first came in how he upgraded the scouting deparment, spending more money, more scouts and treating them better, getting bigger cars since a lot them were big guys being former players. I wonder about our scouting department after this millenium of draft busts.

It still blows my mind that any team would go cheap on scouting or coaching. If handing 130m a year to players I'd want to spend an extra 5-10m and have the absolute best football ops side to make sure I wasn't flushing that 130.... The setup in cincy is crazy to me (even if they are having a good year).

Edited by NoSaint

Dorkington - I agree with your comment here, but my question is, do we just have YOUNG and INEXPERIENCED depth, or is it really BAD? I feel like we just need more time. Even backups need time to develop right?

I think our 22 starters are very competitive if healthy, maybe an upgrade or two at cb and lb, maybe wr, but why are we as fans expecting our backups and third stringers to be good when alot of them are 1st-3rd or 4th yr players. Aren't they allowed to make progress and develop into better players like we allow for starters on NFL teams?