It's all about the draft

vegas55

Take any mediocre NFL team, a team likely to have a top ten or thereabouts draft pick. Then I tell you that team has to forfeit their first round pick for the next 3 years. The chances of that team consistently competing for a playoff spot is virtually nil.

And that's the Buffalo Bills. McKelvin (benched), Maybin (cut) and Spiller (limbo) are just about the equivalent of three forfeited high draft picks. Cannot compete with those kind of drafts.

The defense in particular could be good but lacks just two players - a pass rusher (maybin) and a shut down corner (McKelvin)

And that's how important the draft is for an NFL team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VALID POINT YES BUT WE CAN STILL GET SOME THING OUT OF 2 OF OUR PLAYERS . MCKELVIN WE SHOULD USE AS A KICK RETURNER & CJ WE JUST NEED TO USE HIM SO HE CAN GET UP TO NFL SPEED . HE WILL NEVER BE OR LEARN ANY THING BY SITTING ON THE BENCH !!!!

VALID POINT YES BUT WE CAN STILL GET SOME THING OUT OF 2 OF OUR PLAYERS . MCKELVIN WE SHOULD USE AS A KICK RETURNER & CJ WE JUST NEED TO USE HIM SO HE CAN GET UP TO NFL SPEED . HE WILL NEVER BE OR LEARN ANY THING BY SITTING ON THE BENCH !!!!

Spiller is sitting on the Bench because he was Drafted to a Team that already had a Pro-Bowl calibre RB on the Roster...Not to mention they also had a #12 overall Pick at RB on the Roster as well...it was a dumb Pick at the time...just because we Traded Lynch does not change that 100%...

How do you take Fred Jackson off the field? For some of us around here, we've been saying Freddie should be the man for some time now...Finally he's the guy and we need to get Spiller more touches? Why? So he can go down on first contact again? I'll grant you Spiller is not getting the experience, but if it means taking away from Freddie it's not going to happen? The Bills have an excellent RB...They never should have Drafted CJ...I like the Kid...I think he's got amazing potential...But he went to the wrong Team...So either he's going to have to REALLY step up on the touches he gets...Or those touches will continue to be limited... B-)

Three years??? It has been more than a decade of failures spanning multiple GM's. The only constant is RW and Modrak. RW has failed in every way to attract and retain high quality GM's. It is not just the NFL. Any business that can't do that will fail. The Bills succeed only because of shared TV revenue and a fan base that has nothing else.

I guess you are a billionaire because you knew what all the lotto numbers were going to be.

Freddy is an unreal RB. Let me say that again. Unreal.

The 95% probability expectation would be that an ageing, small college RB would be running out of steam in 2011 and need a replacement to keep the Bills going. That Freddy has been unreal and is still healthy and looking like an all-pro is not what the best guess from 2-3 years ago would have happening now.

The RB gets the ball on a third to a half of the plays. It is a position to keep superior players in place at. I have no problem with Freddy still performing.

Take any mediocre NFL team, a team likely to have a top ten or thereabouts draft pick. Then I tell you that team has to forfeit their first round pick for the next 3 years. The chances of that team consistently competing for a playoff spot is virtually nil.

And that's the Buffalo Bills. McKelvin (benched), Maybin (cut) and Spiller (limbo) are just about the equivalent of three forfeited high draft picks. Cannot compete with those kind of drafts.

The defense in particular could be good but lacks just two players - a pass rusher (maybin) and a shut down corner (McKelvin)

Excellent point, and a good way of putting it.

Exchange Spiller and Troup for Dez Bryant and Gronkowski that's how important the draft is.

Jeez Dez and Gronk, that hurts. I never understood the passing on Gronk especially since he was a local boy rated no.1 at his position. Buddys 2010 draft is as bad as any of our recent draft debacles. Spiller wont start next year, so by that time we will have 21 million into CJ and his 400 yards a year from scrimmage. Troup wont start behind Dareus and KW. Carrington/Moats maybe, probably more rotation players, Batten will be lucky to make the team. Easley, well you know the story.

I dont get the people who like CJ's potential. The speed I dont see, and that goal line run against Miami goes in the gutless hall of fame.

Three years??? It has been more than a decade of failures spanning multiple GM's. The only constant is RW and Modrak. RW has failed in every way to attract and retain high quality GM's. It is not just the NFL. Any business that can't do that will fail. The Bills succeed only because of shared TV revenue and a fan base that has nothing else.

Actually, though he bears a significant chunk of rightful "credit" for this debacle, Modrak's reign of error:

1. Does not include the full period of bad Bills drafts. Only one man gets full "credit" for being a driver on the football side of team building.

2. Like all talent evaluators Modrak's career rep is about even (unfortunately he built a rep doing well in his initial gigs but like a stovk picker and most gamblers his Bill record evened it all out. However, the thing he did badly here with no record of having done it well elsewhere is manage the many forces like HCs, Baeancounters, public opinion (driven by whiners such as Sully and the WGR idiots) and most important the owner, Modrak rarely seemed to get the team working together well.

3. By far the biggest factor is that to be a successful owner you have to be not only a good talent evaluator and leader of a team but also a good businessman. As a top flight sportsman and businessman Ralph proved time and again he is merely a good businessman.

We have devoted the last two drafts to defense. Name the one very good defensive player we have taken?

And don't give me Dareus. He has not yet justified his draft position. I know Buddy revamped our scouting dep't this offseason. He gets one more year to start drafting better.

We have devoted the last two drafts to defense. Name the one very good defensive player we have taken?

And don't give me Dareus. He has not yet justified his draft position. I know Buddy revamped our scouting dep't this offseason. He gets one more year to start drafting better.

Trust me Dareus will be the real deal once he goes back to end a real NT is starting, plus his leg hasn't been a 100% all year.

Trust me Dareus will be the real deal once he goes back to end a real NT is starting, plus his leg hasn't been a 100% all year.

lol it's always something. oh the guy next to him is hurt! his leg is sore!

peterson and green, both picked after him, and BOTH at positions of HUGE need, look like superstars. nix blows.

lol it's always something. oh the guy next to him is hurt! his leg is sore!

peterson and green, both picked after him, and BOTH at positions of HUGE need, look like superstars. nix blows.

Peterson has played like flat out garbage @ the CB position. Yeah, he's getting on TV because of punt return TDs, but when he's asked to cover he gets destroyed. Nicks and Crabtree ate him up.

I'm sure you would've been jumping for joy if they took Green.

Educate yourself. Where's Peterson on that list. Guy has done nothing besides contribute to special teams.

Dareus has hit a wall, 10 games is about what they play in college. Hasn't been amazing but you're acting like he's washed up after 10 games.

Wow! Why all the Darius hate?

Look, he's not the league MVP, not even Rookie of the Year, but he has played well, and has all the tools to get better and be a dominant d-lineman for a long time. There are far bigger problems/issues with the Bills then him. He is the one #1 pick over the last few years that was truly worth his pick.

Come on, use your energy focusing on real problems with this team . . . . there are many options to choose from, but not him. :oops:

What he says ^

Our drafts have been very poor. 2011 looks to be a step in the right direction but we have a decade of misses to flush out.

Edited by Bob in STL

Dareus is only 22 to boot, he's not Suh, but he'll get better. Too soon to tell with any of these guys, why make an issue over the '11 draft right now? I'm sure Peterson will develop into a fine CB, he's just not there right now.

BJ Raji didn't even play his first year in the league, and he came out as a Senior, not a Junior like Marcell. Give the a guy a break, for now anyway.

Edited by bouds

Spiller is sitting on the Bench because he was Drafted to a Team that already had a Pro-Bowl calibre RB on the Roster...Not to mention they also had a #12 overall Pick at RB on the Roster as well...it was a dumb Pick at the time...just because we Traded Lynch does not change that 100%...

How do you take Fred Jackson off the field? For some of us around here, we've been saying Freddie should be the man for some time now...Finally he's the guy and we need to get Spiller more touches? Why? So he can go down on first contact again? I'll grant you Spiller is not getting the experience, but if it means taking away from Freddie it's not going to happen? The Bills have an excellent RB...They never should have Drafted CJ...I like the Kid...I think he's got amazing potential...But he went to the wrong Team...So either he's going to have to REALLY step up on the touches he gets...Or those touches will continue to be limited... B-)

I could not agree more. Spiller was a terrible choice, not because he can't play (that was the Maybin pick), but because he doesn't fit a role this team needed. The old "best player available" vs. "draft for need" wages on. The problem is that Spiller was neither the "best player available" nor "needed". Terrible, terrible choice. This is a disturbing pattern. I still cringe in the fact that we could have had Nick mangold, but we took John McCargo. Geesh

I'm not hating on Darius, but the topic is about the draft, and right now he hasn't lived up to the expectations of #3 pick in the draft. I believe he will, and hopefully soon, but right now he has not. With our history of failed draft picks, players don't get free rides for 3 years anymore! We can't afford to wait that long. We need production now and none of our recent picks are standing out. :angry:

McKelvin drives me crazy. He's around the ball most of the time but his 'ball' skills are completely lacking. I watched a little of last nights NE/KC game where NE had a bunch of street free agents and practice squad guys playing DB. The seemed to do all right. Do you think its all talent, or maybe coaching? Do you think there's a possibility that if McKelvin was 'coached up' he might perform better?

Maybin is a situational pass rusher and nothing more. Not much you can say here other than the Bills wasted this pick.

Spiller should be getting more touches. I can't label him a bust yet. Why can't they apply his talent to the offense like SD/NO did with Sprolls and what NO did with Bush?

IMO, the problem with the Bills is not with the players, its with the organization. The truth is, Ralph and his finance guys have never, and will never, spend the money needed to put a top level organization around the team that we see on the field. So bad management leads to bad draft picks, bad scouting, bad coaching, bad reputation, and bad performance. This is pretty much true in any business, not just sports.

Last year I looked at the Bills drafts over the previous 10 years and it was pretty sad, so lousy or questionalble picks has been the norm rather than the exception over the life of the franchise.

We're stuck with what we have until ownership passes to another party and then its a roll of the dice what happens to the team.