Let's talk about the DRAFT

Juror#8

Nix should draft him with their first round pick in the 2012 draft. This guy is better than Andrew Luck and will make a better pro. He leads the nation in completion percentage, tds, and is second in passing efficiency. He has accomplished this while making the dean's list every semester. He graduated in 3 years with a degree in Poli-Sci and will have his Master's degree in Communications in the Spring.

He graduated from high school early and was class president. He is an aspiring Olympic sprinter. He's smart, accurate, mature, experienced...

His line against #5 Oklahoma - 21/34 479 yards, 4 TD, 0 int

Please read the article below:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/story/2011-10-13/baylor-robert-griffin-cover/50765420/1

Drafting RG3 is how this team begins to turn its decade long mis-fortune around.

Edited by Juror#8

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is ridiculous, no doubt.

I'm just hoping that Nix is doing his homework and that there is no dismissiveness based on 'black qb stereotypical type-casting.' He is not the one to box into any stereotypical category. Ever.

RG3 is pretty incredible...and as far as being cast into typical black QB image, hopefully Cam showed that can be broken, and he and RG3 will be future stars in the NFL and hopefully crush that stereotype for good

however, i realllyyy dont think RG3 comes out after this year, I think he stays another year and tries to be number 1 pick...

Griffin looked like a marvelous athlete but I'm not sure he has played that well every week. Matt Barkley also looked like a first-rounder. I still would like to have a great defensive playertoo.

He has been very consistent and has played well every week. The only game that he had more ints than tds was in the Oklahoma State game (1 td, 2 int) but he tossed for 425 yards and a 66% completion percentage.

He is a true pocket QB and has precise accuracy.

TCU W 50-48 21 27 359 77.8 64 5 0 250.6 10 38 3.8 14 0

9/17 Stephen F. Austin W 48-0 19 21 265 90.5 66 3 0 243.6 8 78 9.8 35 0

9/24 Rice W 56-31 29 33 338 87.9 64 5 0 223.9 6 51 8.5 22 1

10/1 @Kansas State L 36-35 23 31 346 74.2 43 5 1 214.7 12 6 0.5 14 0

10/8 Iowa State W 49-26 22 30 212 73.3 25 1 0 143.7 24 107 4.5 17 1

10/15 @Texas A&M L 55-28 28 40 430 70.0 77 3 1 180.0 12 15 1.3 11 0

10/29 @Oklahoma State L 59-24 33 50 425 66.0 72 1 2 136.0 16 27 1.7 9 1

11/5 Missouri W 42-39 27 41 406 65.9 68 3 0 173.2 19 53 2.8 15 1

11/12 @Kansas W 31-30 (OT) 22 29 312 75.9 67 3 1 193.5 10 103 10.3 49 1

11/19 Oklahoma W 45-38 21 34 479 61.8 87 4 0 218.9 18 72 4.0 24 0

The problem is...

What line will he play behind?

What wideouts will he throw to?

What running back will he hand off to?

I doubt Nix will draft a QB (even if he's a great one and we could use him), because we have holes at *EVERY* position.

The problem is...

What line will he play behind?

What wideouts will he throw to?

What running back will he hand off to?

I doubt Nix will draft a QB (even if he's a great one and we could use him), because we have holes at *EVERY* position.

So....you don't draft the best QB in the draft because we don't have a line for him to play behind? WR for him to throw to?

That is mis-priortizing. Doesn't it make sense to draft the QB, and let him sit behind a similarly intelligent (though skills deficient) QB in Fitz while we solidify the lines and bring in skill players to supplement what is, admittedly, a team with a derth of talent EVERYWHERE!

Also, and it seems that people miss this point, FEW freeagents will want to come here if we don't have players with some semblance of name recognition.

Reggie White only went to Green Bay because they had Favre. Players wanted to play with Peterson in Minnesota. When a team is geographically challenged, they have to use an element of subterfuge to attract free agents. Western NY is a wonderful place. The people are great. It's peaceful. But to rich athletes, its not the jimmy jam. So in that respect, we're geographically challenged.

Robert Griffin will be the best player in the 2012 draft. Because he's a black QB, he's silhoutted in the huge shadows of Luck and Barkley; therefore he'll be an after-thought. We need this guy. We need his skills. And we need the magnetism that a transformational QB will lend with respect to attracting free agents and a broader talent pool.

We can keep bull-&*&$*% around with 300 lb 20 year olds, hoping that the windfall financial gain doesn't affect their ability to effectively anchor a line and guard a blind-side, or we can draft a guy who already has a demonstrable skill set as well as the ideal combination of athletic, character, leadership, academic, and maturity qualities that is LITERALLY once in a generation.

Edited by Juror#8

So....you don't draft the best QB in the draft because we don't have a line for him to play behind? WR for him to throw to?

That is mis-priortizing. Doesn't it make sense to draft the QB, and let him sit behind a similarly intelligent (though skills deficient) QB in Fitz while we solidify the lines and bring in skill players to supplement what is, admittedly, a team with a derth of talent EVERYWHERE!

Also, and it seems that people miss this point, FEW freeagents will want to come here if we don't have players with some semblance of name recognition.

Reggie White only went to Green Bay because they had Favre. Players wanted to play with Peterson in Minnesota. When a team is geographically challenged, they have to use an element of subterfuge to attract free agents. Western NY is a wonderful place. The people are great. It's peaceful. But to rich athletes, its not the jimmy jam. So in that respect, we're geographically challenged.

Robert Griffin will be the best player in the 2012 draft. Because he's a black QB, he's silhoutted in the huge shadows of Luck and Barkley; therefore he'll be an after-thought. We need this guy. We need his skills. And we need the magnetism that a transformational QB will lend with respect to attracting free agents and a broader talent pool.

We can keep bull-&*&$*% around with 300 lb 20 year olds, hoping that the windfall financial gain doesn't affect their ability to effectively anchor a line and guard a blind-side, or we can draft a guy who already has a demonstrable skill set as well as the ideal combination of athletic, character, leadership, academic, and maturity qualities that is LITERALLY once in a generation.

No, I'm saying it doesn't matter who we draft. We have too many holes, and our FO refuses to acknowledge depth and skills positions year after year.

I'm all for drafting whomever is the best player at the position we draft at, whether it be this guy or someone else.

I'm just saying it's going to matter not. And whomever we draft will end up a bust because we will put them on a bad team and fail to develop them properly. :)

/pessimism mode

Thank You! This is what we need to be thinking like. Not "we can't draft a QB high, we just gave Fitz that contract", but instead, "we need to have a real, true, elite QB, the likes of which we haven't had in almost a quarter of a century, and if he has to sit a year, fine". We need to look at every way to make our team, not only good, but great, and there is no better way to impove a team for the long term than to procure a truly elite QB - becuase, every other position, save for maybe LT, can be had in F.A. - but, you just never come across elite QB's in F.A.

I've been saying all year - 2012 is the year to draft a QB. There are some 4 or 5 that will be excellent. It is the best class since Manning/Rivers/Rothlisberger. As I see it, with the shape our team is in - we need stars. Nix should do what he can, and I know it's wishful thinking because he doesn't like to make moves, but he should do whatever he can to trade up and leave the draft with three or four excellent players, instead of eight or nine mediocre ones. If we came out of the draft with a franchise QB, a beast OLB, and one of maybe a group of WR/CB/TE/OL - I think we could add a few promising developmentals in UDFA, and grab another two or three starters in F.A., and have a totally different team next year. (and, I believe, if you can be sure you'r getting a QB like Peyton or Brady, he'd be worth an entire draft if that is what it took)

But, the draft has to start producing stars. We can get all the role-players we need from F.A.!

Edited by sllib olaffub

he had some gross floaters v OK. those are not NFL passes yet resulted in TDs

The guy has a cannon arm and throws a zip-tight spiral.

I noticed a floater in the OK game but no more than I see from Luck (and Griffin has a stronger arm that Luck). And if you want to discuss the occassional wounded duck - talk Matt Barkley.

Check out the clip at :34, 1:51, 2:25 (the ball travels 50 yards in the air with just a shuffle of the feet), 5:35. And we're not talking about a team with superior skill players at the WR and RB spots:

One of the things that he will need to work on at the pro level is a more complex read progression but he is demonstrating more of that during this, his junior, year.

Edited by Juror#8

Nix should draft him with their first round pick in the 2012 draft. This guy is better than Andrew Luck and will make a better pro. He leads the nation in completion percentage, tds, and is second in passing efficiency. He has accomplished this while making the dean's list every semester. He graduated in 3 years with a degree in Poli-Sci and will have his Master's degree in Communications in the Spring.

He graduated from high school early and was class president. He is an aspiring Olympic sprinter. He's smart, accurate, mature, experienced...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/story/2011-10-13/baylor-robert-griffin-cover/50765420/1

Drafting RG3 is how this team begins to turn its decade long mis-fortune around.

He is a better version of Terrell Pryor which is to say he is a better athlete & he could throw the ball. I love this kid & I think this would be the perfect situation for him. Let Fitz play out next year & he could learn under him. I would not be opposed to doing this.

We're not getting any of these QB's. Luck, Griffin, Jones, Barkley...they're all going top 10. Teams now realize that you must have a solid QB to do anything. The Bills would have to finish 5-11 to even be in the discussion for one of those 4 guys.

Actually, he's not in the top 3 for TDs or completion percentage.

The guy we should take is Case Keenum. He's been putting up numbers like this for a few years (he was injured last year).

No, I'm saying it doesn't matter who we draft. We have too many holes, and our FO refuses to acknowledge depth and skills positions year after year.

I'm all for drafting whomever is the best player at the position we draft at, whether it be this guy or someone else.

I'm just saying it's going to matter not. And whomever we draft will end up a bust because we will put them on a bad team and fail to develop them properly. :)

/pessimism mode

We definitely have tons of holes in the lineup. There is definitely a dearth of talent. And I'm concerned that, institutionally, this team has trouble developing talent (or has in the past).

I'm just hoping that a rare talent like RG3 can overcome those issues, and get this team going in the right direction. We have a few pieces to build with (Freddy, Dareus, Wood, Ubrick, Levitre, KWill, Sheppard, Barnett). Our skill players suck. Secondary sucks. Lines...suck. I'm just hoping that we can attract some FAs to supplement holes if we can dangle some bling. RG3 is the bling.

For example, a veteran FA WR will not come here to play with Fitz. Remember Tony Gonzalez's criteria when he was team shopping?

If we can set ourselves at QB, we will find that FA acquisitions will become easier and the benefits will be seen in other areas.

We're not getting any of these QB's. Luck, Griffin, Jones, Barkley...they're all going top 10. Teams now realize that you must have a solid QB to do anything. The Bills would have to finish 5-11 to even be in the discussion for one of those 4 guys.

I bet you they won't all go top 10. Let's say $100?

would love him......but,this guy will be long gone (top 5) by the time the bills pick (10th - 15th).

I bet you RG3 will not be a top 5 pick. $100 on it?