Let's talk about the DRAFT

Juror#8

We're not getting any of these QB's. Luck, Griffin, Jones, Barkley...they're all going top 10. Teams now realize that you must have a solid QB to do anything. The Bills would have to finish 5-11 to even be in the discussion for one of those 4 guys.

you think somehow that the Bills aren't going to accomplish this?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix should draft him with their first round pick in the 2012 draft. This guy is better than Andrew Luck and will make a better pro. He leads the nation in completion percentage, tds, and is second in passing efficiency. He has accomplished this while making the dean's list every semester. He graduated in 3 years with a degree in Poli-Sci and will have his Master's degree in Communications in the Spring.

He graduated from high school early and was class president. He is an aspiring Olympic sprinter. He's smart, accurate, mature, experienced...

His line against #5 Oklahoma - 21/34 479 yards, 4 TD, 0 int

Please read the article below:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/story/2011-10-13/baylor-robert-griffin-cover/50765420/1

Drafting RG3 is how this team begins to turn its decade long mis-fortune around.

Why do people keep talking QB as if that is anything close to our biggest problem. We need a pass rusher, a WR and an o-lineman or two before I could even think of all the other things we need before a QB.

The guy has a cannon arm and throws a zip-tight spiral.

I noticed a floater in the OK game but no more than I see from Luck (and Griffin has a stronger arm that Luck). And if you want to discuss the occassional wounded duck - talk Matt Barkley.

Check out the clip at :34, 1:51, 2:25 (the ball travels 50 yards in the air with just a shuffle of the feet), 5:35. And we're not talking about a team with superior skill players at the WR and RB spots:

youtube.com/watch?v=IZsQWIoC1Ic

One of the things that he will need to work on at the pro level is a more complex read progression but he is demonstrating more of that during this, his junior, year.

When his first two "highlights are running plays you lost me. He is a typical "scambling" QB. Which means he sucks.

Edited by bisonbrigade

The problem is...

What line will he play behind?

What wideouts will he throw to?

What running back will he hand off to?

I doubt Nix will draft a QB (even if he's a great one and we could use him), because we have holes at *EVERY* position.

Not saying RG3 will ever amount to anything...

But I'm pretty sure they said the same things about almost every QB who has been Drafted high...Newton is a PRIME example of that...Carolina had a couple players, but certainly no more talent than the Bills have on Offense...If they can play the QB position at a high level in the NFL they will make everybody around them better in a heartbeat...

PS...Listened to an interview recently with RG3 and he came across extremely bright...Hard not to like that Kid... B-)

We're not getting any of these QB's. Luck, Griffin, Jones, Barkley...they're all going top 10. Teams now realize that you must have a solid QB to do anything. The Bills would have to finish 5-11 to even be in the discussion for one of those 4 guys.

Agreed, and with the rookie salary cap they aren't the same risk financially

Our problem is defense. The best available defensive player at pick 5,6 or 7 will be Tyran Mathieu, corner out of LSU. I can't imagine he won't declare for the draft this year. I have for years advocated getting the best offensive or defensive lineman early in the draft, but his guy has been described as a mating of Darrel Revis and Devin Hester.

By the sounds of it, Mathieu's a great player. I get a bit uneasy because he's small, even for the position. There are two undersized but enormously skilled CBs that come to mind when I think of players in that category.

One is a guy who played 19 years in the NFL, went to 7 Pro Bowls, was All-Pro 4 times, won 2 Super Bowls, had 50+ career interceptions and ended up in the Hall of Fame… Darrell Green.

The other guy was drafted 6th overall, is considered as talented as any cornerback/return man who has ever come out, but whose rap sheet is longer than his list of accomplishments… Pacman Jones.

If Mathieu has great character like Green, he has a chance to be something special. It's not easy for a little man in the NFL.

You guys have any viewpoint on Jordy Nelson? When we drafted him, not a ton of people knew who he was and a lot of people were upset that we did not draft Desean Jackson. Wow am I glad we did not draft the guy now. Talented, but a head case.

The Bills stated that year that they wanted to draft a large receiver and were rumored to love Jordy Nelson. There were no receivers drafted in the first round in 2008. Nelson was the 3rd wideout taken (#36) after Donnie Avery and Devin Thomas. Five picks later the Bills took the next wideout, James Hardy. Eddie Royal went next and then there was a receiver run of Jerome Simpson, tight end Fred Davis, DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed. As usual, the Packers made a great decision.

As a question to you, how do you like Bryan Bulaga so far?

Lots of posters here thought we should have used our 9th selection on him. You guys got him at #23 which seems about right.

Why do people keep talking QB as if that is anything close to our biggest problem. We need a pass rusher, a WR and an o-lineman or two before I could even think of all the other things we need before a QB.

The reason is this… if you study draft history, you'll see that there are drafts which produced zero good quarterbacks. They do not grow on trees.

So when a team has a draft position which puts them within reach of a guy who could possibly be a franchise quarterback, the team has to view the opportunity in a historic context (good QB crop + draft position putting them within reach).

You might not get the chance again for years and you do not want to reach for a quarterback (JP Losman).

Not saying RG3 will ever amount to anything...

But I'm pretty sure they said the same things about almost every QB who has been Drafted high...Newton is a PRIME example of that...Carolina had a couple players, but certainly no more talent than the Bills have on Offense...If they can play the QB position at a high level in the NFL they will make everybody around them better in a heartbeat...

PS...Listened to an interview recently with RG3 and he came across extremely bright...Hard not to like that Kid... B-)

And it should be mentioned here that last year, there was at least an equal number of posters (if not the majority) who predicted failure, or at least middling success for Cam Newton.

Agreed, and with the rookie salary cap they aren't the same risk financially

Not sure of your point but I loved Burt Lancaster in Sweet Smell of Success. What a bastard.