Sully's article this morning

Both Arian Foster and Ben Tate rushed for over 100 yds this past Sunday. There's no reason Spiller can't get a decent amount of touches even with Fred being successful. Thurman in his prime got spelled a couple of series each game.

Sully's right. Either Spiller is a bust or the coaches need to figure out a way to get him going.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Arian Foster and Ben Tate rushed for over 100 yds this past Sunday. There's no reason Spiller can't get a decent amount of touches even with Fred being successful. Thurman in his prime got spelled a couple of series each game.

Sully's right. Either Spiller is a bust or the coaches need to figure out a way to get him going.

You're right. The obvious solution is to play against Cleveland every week.

I hate to agree with Sullivan, but in this case he is not wrong. Spiller was another of the poor high round draft choices made by the Bills the last 5 years. That is now water under the bridge -- can't go back in time. My question is that I now see the Bills split Jackson out as a wide out in many of their 5 wide packages. I gotta think that Spiller and his 4.35 speed is a better choice. At least he would give the Bills a deep threat, even if he isn't Jerry Rice.

I don't want to limit Jackson's carries - tot he contrary I'd like to see 20 a game, but I also want Spiller to get his hands on the ball more. If that means on KO returns or via passes as a wide out or selected runs, make it happen. Heck, maybe Spiller could play cornerback, god knows the Bills need help there.

At the VERY least, Spiller needs to get some of these wheel routes Jackson runs. Jackson has capable speed, but is not a blazer. This past week against the Jets, he had the LB beat by a step and Fitz missed the throw. I kept thinking, "man if that was Spiller, he has that LB beat by at least TWO steps and maybe Fitz hits that throw." No excuse for Spiller not to spell FredEx every now and then. There are 16 games on the schedule.

Remember that the greatest RB in Bills history and one of the top 5 all-time was declared a bust after THREE years. Then a new coach came in and figured out how to utilize him properly. The rest is history... I'm not saying that CJ is the next OJ; what I'm saying is that the Bills owe it to themselves to maximize CJ's effectiveness while he's still under contract. I like Gailey a lot as an offensive innovator, but I don't think he's doing a good job in the particular case of Spiller. Our base offense needs to put the most talented 11 on the field. Aside from Fitzy, the OL, Chandler, Johnson, and Jackson, I would argue that the next best two are Spiller and Nelson. If that means Spiller's new position is now some hybrid 3rd WR who only takes 25% or so of the handoffs in a game, so be it.

Edited by Typical TBD Guy

Exactly.

Sullivan did not like this pick from the beginning. The fact is that Spiller was a great player in college. Nevertheless, Fred Jackson is playing about as well as any back in the league. Does that mean Spiller? When Sullivan asked about Spiller (in what I believe was the first question of the post game press conference), Chan said it was not Spiller's fault that he is not playing. The fact is that Fred is playing very, very well.

Spiller isn't on the team simply to be Fred's replacement. I don't believe they drafted him to be an every down back (at least I hope not). Yet Gailey has no idea what to do with this "weapon".

Are they not the same person? ;)lol

Unfortunately.

I don't understand why they don't use Spiller and Smith more as wideouts.

Then again, I'm perplexed at times as to how they use Chandler.

Why can't Spiller be the home run, down the field threat as a companion to the short, quick passing game?

With the Jets D keying on Fred and no play action off of that on short yardage, it is no surprise that CJ is underutilized. The middle of the field would have been wide open for play fakes with their line backers playing zone. Even with press coverage on the outside, they played zone all day on the inside. We could have run screens inside as well a number of times.

The article didn't offer anything we haven't been saying all year.

But to call him a bust is silly. He doesn't get touches. And when he does, he gets some decent yards. But you can't take too much away from Fred, who, even against the Jets, who everybody is saying gameplanned against him, still got 100-plus all-purpose yards.

Chan needs to stop two-stepping around this issue and find a way to get Spiller into this offense. He's got to be better than Brad Smith has been returning kicks, Fred can't get it all the time, and we have a need for a viable receiver. Half the time, we're running four and five receiver sets.

Find a way to get him in the game without disrupting Fred. He's too talented to be sitting on the sidelines...and defenses are starting to figure us out.

Both the Bills HC and their OC disagree with you.

True. They know alot more than any of us about what he can and cannot due. I agree with Sully. Spiller's lack of productivity even in the face of Jackson's MVP type season may be ominous. Do we then point the finger at Modrak or Nix.

It is odd that Spiller spent two weeks as a receiver, and the second Donald Jones was healthy, Spiller had no role in the offense, once again. I am inclined, at this point, to pin this on the coaches. From the little we have seen, it seemed like he has shown some ability. Would have really liked to see if Spillers speed could have been utilized this past Sunday, as wide-out.

Especially since there's no real indication - on gamedays, anyway - that Donald Jones is really any kind of difference maker as an NFL WR. I'm no UB homer, but Roosevelt shows me more from what I've seen - and David Nelson is clearly a more effective WR.

Jones may have more speed than Nelson, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't have more speed than a decent NFL corner - so what exactly does he bring to the table that's better than Nelson's size and hands? Better than Roosevelt's hands and shiftyness in traffic?

unfortunately sully's plan works, i really didn't read his stuff too much until i started hearing about it on the message boards. now i find myself reading it because i can't stand him. which makes little to no sense, well no thats not true, i then come on the message board and find the thread complaining about it. that is why he keeps a job.

If Gailey had complete trust in Spiller he would find more ways to get him involved in the offense. For whatever reasons Spiller's skills have not translated well to the NFL. It may be a bit early to call him a bust but he certainly was not worth a high first round pick.

I have to believe Nix and Gailey both agreed they'd find ways to involve Spiller in the offense leading up to the 2010 draft. A season and a half later they either can't figure it out or the player isn't what they thought he was. Regardless, that's an indictment of their personnel evaluation skills which leave a lot to be desired.

Then again, Modrak was here at the time so perhaps that can be thrown onto him to exempt Nix from more criticism. ;)

Remember that the greatest RB in Bills history and one of the top 5 all-time was declared a bust after THREE years. Then a new coach came in and figured out how to utilize him properly. The rest is history... I'm not saying that CJ is the next OJ; what I'm saying is that the Bills owe it to themselves to maximize CJ's effectiveness while he's still under contract. I like Gailey a lot as an offensive innovator, but I don't think he's doing a good job in the particular case of Spiller. Our base offense needs to put the most talented 11 on the field. Aside from Fitzy, the OL, Chandler, Johnson, and Jackson, I would argue that the next best two are Spiller and Nelson. If that means Spiller's new position is now some hybrid 3rd WR who only takes 25% or so of the handoffs in a game, so be it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is exactly how I feel we need to use him. DC's would need to put a CB on him, and that means one less LB at the line.

Tim-

Last time they tried to give CJ more touches, Freddie threw a tantrum because he was being disrespected by not being the starter

Theres no reason why they can't find CJ more ways to get the ball and see what he can do with it

I still wouldn't call him a bust yet, but this is Buffalo, where if you haven't produced by the time your name is called in the draft (or you weren't the guy the fans wanted), you are a bust already

Pretty sure that was in the preseason and it looked like the Bills were trying to get Spiller some touches to see how much he has learned. Fred was wrong here. It was preseason. Would any of you start Spiller over Fred?No! Would you take away touches from Fred because Spiller is a 1st rd pick? No! Spliier would be a bust if he was given the rock and failed. One other thing Sully failed to realize is that Spiller is RB not a receiver!!! He filled in for Jones due to injury. Coach didn't want to do it, but had to. Now that Jones is back, it's his spot and Spiller is the backup RB. If Fred hadn't played so well so far, Spiller would be starting. He hasn't had the chance yet to prove himself. I, for one am glad we have both RB's. If Fred gets hurt, we'll see what we have in Spiller. Until then, Sully is DEAD WRONG! Just my opinion.

O.K Fred Jackson is Awesome !! I think we all can agree with that , but What's up with CJ ??

We took him in the first round at #9 , the guy has 4.3 speed which is something the offense could use a bit of from time to time , & we need a little bit more of a return on the $20 mil that was given to CJ . Plus if you were to ask the guy i would think he would much rather be having more input especially last week when our O was basically shut down by the Jets .

If Chan is the great Offensive mind that he is said to be (which i think he is) you would think that there would be some way to get this lethal offensive weapon on to the field to at least cause a bit of confusion for the opposing team ....

Can't they use some 2 back sets ? Fred & CJ in the back field at the same time ---- man that's scary :unsure: just thinkin about it !!

I know Thurman had Kenny to back him up and although Fred is doing a great job It would be nice to give him a blow every once & again , the guy is 30 after all .

Some of the feed back that i have been reading too says that CJ is coming up on being a bust but how can you be a bust if you don't get on the field ? Kind of the same thing Maybin said in an interview , which could that be the problem that our staff is just not real sure how to utilize these guys or is it that there afraid of pissing off Fred ??

What ever it may be i for one would love to see CJ smoke some defenders !! I think he has every bit the ability of Forte for Da Bears plus he's faster !!

Well there you go something to chew on for a while . PLease coach put in some plays for this guy he won't let us down :thumbsup: !!!

Whatchathink ????

Edited by T master