A New Domed Bills Stadium in the Falls?

"What is the bigger move? What could the people of Western New York do to make a national statement that the Bills are our team, the NFL our birthright, and that we are serious about being a real player at a poker table many think has reached a level too steep for our wallet?

Eschewing the stadium renovations in favor of building a state-of-the-art domed stadium would be the first shot across the bow that I'd fire to serve that notice nationally. Putting that stadium in downtown Niagara Falls would be the second."

Would you support a plan to build a new dome in place of shelling out $100 million to update the Ralph?

A DOME FOR THE BILLS IN NIAGARA FALLS COULD KEEP TEAM HERE, REVITALIZE CITY

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Time is now. Ralph the stadium is like Ralph the owner; no amount of money on a face lift will mask it over.

It would be a powerful symbol next to one of wonders of the world and provide Goodell/NFL with exposure to an international tourist audience base that they covet.

SUDDENLY we'd be a team the NFL wants to support and highlight rather than shun.

People from buffalo proper will remain fans no matter how much they moan becUse they don't have alternatives . The new fans brought in will be a net posiive.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

newly built domed cowboys stadium just cost $1.3 Billion.

so you can figure $1.5 Billion for the next domed stadium.

spending $100 mil and saving $1.4 Billion sounds like a viable option.

having said that, if they ever did build one, they should make a truly multi-purpose facility incorporating an enormous convention center complex and a bills hall of fame museum.

Edited by papazoid

I am prolly just an old fart who longs for tradition, but I really believe the Ralph is a treasure to keep. I have been to a ton of the newer stadiums, at least 9 that I can think of..and the new stadiums just miss something. Part of it is they are all just so damn big, with all the suites and added amenities..loses some of the luster of the game.

I don't see anybody whining they should have built a dome in Green Bay instaed of upgrading Lambeau...why should it be different here. What about Fenway and Wrigley..the LA Colosium, The Rose Bowl..sometimes tradition is better...and I think in 10 years people will recognize the Ralph as a treasure as well

"What is the bigger move? What could the people of Western New York do to make a national statement that the Bills are our team, the NFL our birthright, and that we are serious about being a real player at a poker table many think has reached a level too steep for our wallet?

Eschewing the stadium renovations in favor of building a state-of-the-art domed stadium would be the first shot across the bow that I'd fire to serve that notice nationally. Putting that stadium in downtown Niagara Falls would be the second."

Would you support a plan to build a new dome in place of shelling out $100 million to update the Ralph?

Absolutely not. No dome in WNY.

Edited by behind a post WMS69

Sure build a new 1 Billion Dollar Stadium. Have the Bills sign a 20 year lease.

Build it in Buffalo, tear down some old crappy section of town, with ****ty houses and old buildings and make it into a entertainment and shopping complex, with restaurants accessible on all days not just game days.

Have a Buffalo Bills Hall of fame, Make it a first class arena. with a retractable Dome. Having a retractable dome allows it to be used in the winter for other things instead of just sitting empty like the Ralph. High School playoffs could be help instead of Syracuse, let those down state teams come here, instead uf us going there.

Connect the dome to a large convention hotel and parking easy access to the I-190,90, as well as having the Bus and train stops there.

Schedule concerts, conventions, etc in there and fill up the hotel, create a buzz about this team and help to rebuild Buffalo and its image.

Edited by Wood is Good

SAY NO NO NO TO A DOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm from Niagara County so Orchard Park is a drive for me. But personally, I love the atmosphere in and around Ralph Wilson stadium because of the general layout of the land there. It's in a great spot. It is mostly wide open with plenty of parking areas as well as community members charging to park on their own lawn. Driving down the streets heading to a lot is great. Watching the scenary of fans tailgating and just having a good time is something special. Driving into the lots watching crazy fans get amped for the game, I've always thought, "I can't imagine the atmosphere down here if we actualy had a winning team." Now we have one, and I am giddy over it. Basically what I'm saying is that I love where the stadium is now.

On the other hand, it would make a whole lot of sense to put a stadium next to the Falls. It would become an instant tourist attraction. Watching a national game on TV with the Falls in the backround from the stadium would be the best looking stadium in the league. I doubt they would be able to get a stadium that close to the falls. They would have to clear out a whole bunch of land to not only build a stadium but also to make room for parking. It would be a pretty cool scene up there with a stadium near the Falls, but I don't see it likely.

HOWEVER...I will not tolerate a domed stadium. I am a season ticket holder and I would probably give up my tickets. I'd still support the team but going to the game just woudn't be the same. I'm sure they would still sell out, becase domes typically have less seats. It would ruin the Buffalo Bills atmosphere. It would greatly decrease the home field advantage that we currently have here. The tricky winds and temperatures that we have here are the worst in the league. Teams hate playing here. Now that we have a winning team, just wait and see how much our home field advanage comes into play in the second half of the season. The weather will get bad and we will get LOUDER and LOUDER as the Bills keep winning. I'm super excited about imposing the will of the 12th man on the remaining opponents this season. GO BILLS!

Although it would be cool to see, my vote goes to keeping the stadium open and rigt where it is. Upgrade it. But keep "The Ralph!" GO BILLS!

newly built domed cowboys stadium just cost $1.3 Billion.

so you can figure $1.5 Billion for the next domed stadium.

spending $100 mil and saving $1.4 Billion sounds like a viable option.

having said that, if they ever did build one, they should make a truly multi-purpose facility incorporating an enormous convention center complex and a bills hall of fame museum.

Next to niagara falls it would be a natural to host the super bowl and other events, both entertainment and seasonal.

I grew up in the Buffalo area, and my heart is in Buffalo. What I really don't understand is people complain about the Bills moving to the Falls would pull them from Buffalo but isn't Orchard Park out of Buffalo as well. That's no different than saying Amherst. I never understood why the politicians in Buffalo and the Falls do not team up and make it part of the city to draw more business and tourism. Oh wait, I'm sorry it's the Canadian side that looks at that. I about laughed my a** off when I stopped up there and watched the mayor talk about how they have a development team to have a business team try to develop the Falls....... What gives? The politics in the Buffalo area is just crazy stupid and they all need to be fired if half the city of Buffalo and the Falls were to really travel to a city that is on the up and up and see how it's done. Hell just stand at the Falls and look across the river and one can see the difference. Get rid of the politics and then talk about moving the Bills to the Falls or some way, some how, one of the politicians up there will do something stupid and sell the Bills off to another city.

that 1 billion + for a new dome was in DALLAS, where property costs are exponentially higher.

It would probably cost 1/2 that to build the same thing here, and there is no reason to make a new stadium as embarrassingly excessive as the JerryDome

Well, if we are picking numbers out of thin air....

Even half the price is ca. $700 million.

Ummm............no, not the Falls.

It's the wrong venue for a domed stadium and the amount of property needed, combined with the soil testing results I am sure will come in, could turn a process such as that into a slow, politically corrupted, process.

Keep the Bills, or any business you know of, away from Niagara County, specifically crime ridden Niagara Falls.

The Lake front, on Fhurman Blvd, where the old Ford production facility is located (some may know it as the old Tops distribution warehouse and Freezer Queen foods production facility, but both of those properties combined were once Ford Motor Company).

That is one of a couple of ideal locations, another is on Niagara Street, Near Vulcan Ave./Ontario St. intersection.

Then there is the Amherst location.

All of which are much better than Niagara Falls.