Offensive line

JohnC

The biggest surprise of the season is not the play of Fitz, Jackson or even Dareus, it is the exceptional play of the OL. As individual players on the line each player is playing better than they did last year. The most under-rated player on this team might be Pears. Coming into the season he was considered as a temporary starter waiting for another prospect to take his position. He has quietly been a very sound player for unit. He is certainly a terrific value pick-up for the Blls.

Urbik is another value acquisition. He is a rugged player who seems to get better every game. Getting Pears and Urbik without using a draft pick or trading another player to acquire them is a testament to the effectiveness of our front office (Whaley and Nix). These two players are not big name players or dominant plaers, they are simply effective players who have fit in on what is now a very cohesvie and effective line.

The coaching staff knew what they were doing when they moved Woods to the center position, his natural position. He is the leader on the line (and one of the leaders on the team). He is not only the most physical players on the line but also the most itense. Now that he has regained his strength from his nasty leg break he is developing into one of the top centers in the league.

I had my doubts about Bell. I thought he was too much of a finesse player and too prone to injuries. I felt that he was very athletic but lacked the bulk and strength to play the most challenging position on the line. This year, when he has played, he has played well. From what I have observed of Harrison I saw a rugged player. When he got an oppostunity to play he demonstrated that he was not only not over-matched but was an impactful; player, especially on running plays. I think eventually he is going to be relocated to the right side. Whether he plays on the right or left side he is going to be a long term starter.

Thus far the MVP of the line is Levitre. Because of his versatility and dependability he has been a salvation for this line when both of the LTs were injured. Whether he is playing LT or LG he is the most dependable player on the line. As others have said (NY Bill) he was a tremendous value second round pick.

There is no doubt that having a smart qb such as Fitz who quickly knows where to go with the ball and having a smart running back in Jackson who makes quick line reads and hits the hole helps the OL. As a unit this line has steadily gotten better and has turned a systemically long-term poor unit into one of the more effective OLs in the league. Considering what I thought we had entering the season and seeing how they have performed I am very impressed.

Edited by JohnC

The biggest surprise of the season is not the play of Fitz, Jackson or even Dareus, it is the exceptional play of the OL. As individual players on the line each player is playing better than they did last year. The most under-rated player on this team might be Pears. Coming into the season he was considered as a temporary starter waiting for another prospect to take his position. He has quietly been a very sound player for unit. He is certainly a terrific value pick-up for the Blls.

Urbik is another value acquisition. He is a rugged player who seems to get better every game. Getting Pears and Urbik without using a draft pick or trading another player to acquire them is a testament to the effectiveness of our front office (Whaley and Nix). These two players are not big name players or dominant plaers, they are simply effective players who have fit in on what is now a very cohesvie and effective line.

The coaching staff knew what they were doing when they moved Woods to the center position, his natural position. He is the leader on the line (and one of the leaders on the team). He is not only the most physical players on the line but also the most itense. Now that he has regained his strength from his nasty leg break he is developing into one of the top centers in the league.

I had my doubts about Bell. I thought he was too much of a finesse player and too prone to injuries. I felt that he was very athletic but lacked the bulk and strength to play the most challenging position on the line. This year, when he has played, he has played well. From what I have observed of Harrison I saw a rugged player. When he got an oppostunity to play he demonstrated that he was not only not over-matched but was an impactful; player, especially on running plays. I think eventually he is going to be relocated to the right side. Whether he plays on the right or left side he is going to be a long term starter.

Thus far the MVP of the line is Levitre. Because of his versatility and dependability he has been a salvation for this line when both of the LTs were injured. Whether he is playing LT or LG he is the most dependable player on the line. As others have said (NY Bill) he was a tremendous value second round pick.

There is no doubt that having a smart qb such as Fitz who quickly knows where to go with the ball and having a smart running back in Jackson who makes quick line reads and hits the hole helps the OL. As a unit this line has steadily gotten better and has turned a systemically long-term poor unit into one of the more effective OLs in the league. Considering what I thought we had entering the season and seeing how they have performed I am very impressed.

Kind of makes you want to trust our coach's and GM's opinion doesn't it? :thumbsup:

I agree with everything you have stated.

While Nix and Whaley certainly deserve credit for the Urbik and Pears pickups, we have to remember that part of that success is due to our being so high in the waiver wire priority order (I believe it goes in the same order as where you drafted, in our case #3). We likely will not be in that "favorable" a waiver position in future years.

not to be a negative nancy but ...

how much of the O-lines sucess can be attributed to the decision to abandon the down field pass (or at least severly limit it). Our bread and butter air game seems to be the quick hitting short stuff, we do just enough to make the other team respect our willingness to throw long but it is not something we rely on. Getting rid of Lee Evens should have been a clue as to the direction we were going.

I don't mean to say this philosophy is bad ... or even the wrong way to go ... I just think it was a decision made by the coaching staff to "help" our O-line, and play to the strenghts of Fitz's ability to make a quick decision and get rid of the ball.

how much of the O-lines sucess can be attributed to the decision to abandon the down field pass (or at least severly limit it). Our bread and butter air game seems to be the quick hitting short stuff, we do just enough to make the other team respect our willingness to throw long but it is not something we rely on. Getting rid of Lee Evens should have been a clue as to the direction we were going.

I don't mean to say this philosophy is bad ... or even the wrong way to go ... I just think it was a decision made by the coaching staff to "help" our O-line, and play to the strenghts of Fitz's ability to make a quick decision and get rid of the ball.

This sounds eerily like the Jauron/Trent Edwards offense. Except our O-line and quarterback are better now. Playcalling is too but successful execution gets back to a better O-line and qb.

This sounds eerily like the Jauron/Trent Edwards offense. Except our O-line and quarterback are better now. Playcalling is too but successful execution gets back to a better O-line and qb.

LOL out loud ..... lordy lordy I didn't mean to compare what we are doing now to what we were trying to do then ...

I always felt that the Jauron/Edwards "plan" was to asess whether a WR was open or not while the play unfolded and throw the ball downfield, but Trent always bailed on the long option, then bailed on the middle option, then either got sacked, flushed out of the pocket, or dumped the ball off behind the LOS.

I think the Chan/Fitz plan is to asess their best option pre snap and then chuck the old pumpkin assuming the reciever will make the play, the only hitch is that the routes are predomitly middle to short routs which enable the reciever to give the defender his "best" move while also allowing Fitz to get the ball out quickly.

Kind of makes you want to trust our coach's and GM's opinion doesn't it? :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::worthy:

It is truly amazing how WRONG this board's naysayers were about the offensive line's potential.

Time is a key ingredient in the development of a lineman and they do not always succeed in their first professional setting. However, if you let them go through their mistakes and provide good coaching then amazing things can happen.

I think those who used the excuse that Fitz gets the ball off quickly have started to notice the holes this line is providing for Freddie plus the continued protection against the best pass rushers the league has to offer.

We have a group of seven that might be the best in the NFL. Wood is having a pro-bowl year at center and Levitre is just incredible. But then there is Pears who just does everything right and Urbik and Hairston and Reinhart plus Bell has been solid.

Buddy and Chan ... have to give them credit. The naysayers need to choose another team to whine about because this line is going to blow out the opposition game after game!

The secret to this is using the players you've got to the best of their strengths & abilities. Far too many coaches try to shove players into schemes and/or positions they are simply not suited for, IMO. Gailey seems to be doing a really good job of plugging players in at the right positions and setting up schemes tailored to what they do best.

Like Bum said about The Chin, "He can take his'n and beat your'n, then he can take your'n and beat his'n." Gailey isn't there yet, but he has taken what most people considered one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL and with injuries and all, made it work.

Fitz has only been sacked 8 times in 7 games. Big Ben has been sacked 25 times, just for some perspective.

Fred Jackson is 4th in the NFL in rushing with 5.5 yards per carry and 103 yards per game average.

Those two statistics are due primarily to the outstanding play of the offensive line. A patchwork of guys who put their heads down, dig their cleats in and just get the job done.

LOL out loud ..... lordy lordy I didn't mean to compare what we are doing now to what we were trying to do then ...

I always felt that the Jauron/Edwards "plan" was to asess whether a WR was open or not while the play unfolded and throw the ball downfield, but Trent always bailed on the long option, then bailed on the middle option, then either got sacked, flushed out of the pocket, or dumped the ball off behind the LOS.

I think the Chan/Fitz plan is to asess their best option pre snap and then chuck the old pumpkin assuming the reciever will make the play, the only hitch is that the routes are predomitly middle to short routs which enable the reciever to give the defender his "best" move while also allowing Fitz to get the ball out quickly.

Nothing like a good scare on Halloween! :pirate: Seriously though, no one's going to be calling Fitz "Captain Checkdown" ever but he will rely on the short passes when that's all that's open. As you allude to, there's a huge difference in his decision-making compared to Trent's.

Getting back to your point about the O-line, these guys block well as a unit and get great push on running plays most games. When you can see them rip gaping holes in the line for Fred or have a nice pocket around Fitz that is the ability of the line, not the scheme or game plan.

I was always frustrated by the oline after we bought Dockery and Walker. Even during wins they never blocked well as a unit, what a waste of money.

I do agree with shoretalk that time is the key ingredient. I do not think our line is the best in the NFL yet (see the Giants game), but most importantly we have a solid nucleus, an above average OL, and can selectively upgrade individual positions when we draft/find someone better.

The OL has played terrific, especially in the run game, and picking up very few penalties. They still, however, consistently only give Fitz two seconds to throw the ball, and good lines consistently give QBs 3-4 seconds. We don't stretch the field because we don't want to, we don't because we can't, because the OL can't pass block that long. There is no doubt, however, they have played way better than expected.

Most other teams play this style. What teams are taking long shots down the field all the time? Long balls are a low completion percentage route.

Avg. Rushing Yds. per game 140.6 (5th in the NFL). Jackson is the best player on the offense yes, but the O-line has allowed him to reach the next level. Being a top 5 rushing offense doesn't happen without a great O-line. These guys are the real deal.

I think a lot can be said about O Line chemistry.....keep in mind that this same group of guys have had a chance to work together for a while......

One thing that all of these guys have in common? They are not undersized and lacking in functional strength.....the majority of these guys are STRONG.....

Levitre is a pro bowler.....Wood is very good......the other guys have been solid......and Hairston has the opportunity to be a franchise type left tackle

how much of the O-lines sucess can be attributed to the decision to abandon the down field pass (or at least severly limit it). Our bread and butter air game seems to be the quick hitting short stuff, we do just enough to make the other team respect our willingness to throw long but it is not something we rely on.

You mean like New England? Yeah, bad way to go.

Not to pull credit from anyone during this terrific run, but good/competent QB play - something we haven't seen here for years - has the ability to make the OL look a whole lot better than vice-versa. Smart RBs help too, a lot.

Obviously it's a team game, and everyone needs to do their job, but good QB play (combined with efficient playcalling) has a disproportionate ability to make everyone look better very quickly.

The line definitely deserves credit, but I think the great play of Fitz and Freddy are a huge part of the perceived improvement.

EDIT: The OL deserves the most credit, I think, for the absence of nagging, undisciplined penalties. That, in and of itself, is a huge contribution.

Edited by MRM33064

Not to pull credit from anyone during this terrific run, but good/competent QB play - something we haven't seen here for years - has the ability to make the OL look a whole lot better than vice-versa. Smart RBs help too, a lot.

Obviously it's a team game, and everyone needs to do their job, but good QB play (combined with efficient playcalling) has a disproportionate ability to make everyone look better very quickly.

The line definitely deserves credit, but I think the great play of Fitz and Freddy are a huge part of the perceived improvement.

Very true. Look at Indy. Does anyone think the Colts would be 0-7 with Manning behind the same OL instead of Painter?

The OL has played terrific, especially in the run game, and picking up very few penalties. They still, however, consistently only give Fitz two seconds to throw the ball, and good lines consistently give QBs 3-4 seconds. We don't stretch the field because we don't want to, we don't because we can't, because the OL can't pass block that long. There is no doubt, however, they have played way better than expected.

I think someone needs to tell them that as of this year holding is legal.

I agree with everything you have stated.

While Nix and Whaley certainly deserve credit for the Urbik and Pears pickups, we have to remember that part of that success is due to our being so high in the waiver wire priority order (I believe it goes in the same order as where you drafted, in our case #3). We likely will not be in that "favorable" a waiver position in future years.

Urbik was claimed off waivers.

Pears and Rinehart were free agents.

One thing about last season, the Bills were bringing multiple players in for workouts on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

They left no stone unturned.

I will take the 4-5 yard slants every day, if it gives us 1st downs and move the chains...Something that we were very inept with Lee Evans in the line up. Lee is a very good player, but just did not fit this offense. He will be very good in an offense where the OL gives the QB lots of time to throw or has a very mobile QB who can use his feet and make plays down field. I hope that trade works for both the parties. Also, not having such a towering figure as Lee Evans allows the QB to distribute the passes to all his WRs without worrying to find his primary target all the time.

Most other teams play this style. What teams are taking long shots down the field all the time? Long balls are a low completion percentage route.

Only teams that have mobile QBs who can use their feet to make the plays are throwing the big bombs...Teams like the Eagles, the Steelers and the Falcons.