Moats May be an Upgrade Over Merriman

prophrox2

This is the first time, in a long time, I have no complaints about the Defense!! There was a PASS RUSH.. They STUFFED THE RUN.. They did NOT MISS TACKLES.. Totally happy tonight and pray this team can do this every week.. GO BILLS!!!

BTW... Sorry.. I should have said this first.. Moats is an Upgrade... Go Bills!!!

I haven't really seen or heard much love for Moats today. I thought his early pressure started the ball rolling......Why was he ever moved inside and there was even talk on this board of him being cut in camp. He seems like a natural pass rusher to me. I forget what play it was where somebody else got the sack, but it was in part because Moats beat the lineman, then beat the back who tried to pick him up.

I haven't really seen or heard much love for Moats today. I thought his early pressure started the ball rolling......Why was he ever moved inside and there was even talk on this board of him being cut in camp. He seems like a natural pass rusher to me. I forget what play it was where somebody else got the sack, but it was in part because Moats beat the lineman, then beat the back who tried to pick him up.

I'll preface this with, Beck at QB and injuries on the Skins OL, but I thought this was a coming out party for the guys picked in the last 2 years. Moats, Dareus, Batten, Carrington, Shep, and even Troup made an appearance. The Ralph is going to rumble next week!

Edited by TPS

hes a good pure pass-rusher. What i was most impressed with was how well our secondary held down the fort today and it was nice to see byrd get a pick as well he hasn't gotten much but his overall play has been night and day

His overall play has been outstanding. Loved that corner blitz he did.....I can't believe how he made tackling go from a weakness of his to being about as good as it gets.

Agreed. He's very skilled rushing from the outside. He was also tough today on the stunts (Bills ran a lot of stunts today it seemed).

That play was on one of Dareus sacks. He beat the LT, forcing Beck to step up to Dareus arms. This guy will be the next James Harrison without the sheer stupidity.

hes a good pure pass-rusher. What i was most impressed with was how well our secondary held down the fort today and it was nice to see byrd get a pick as well he hasn't gotten much but his overall play has been night and day

No kidding. It seemed like every downfield pass attempt by them was completely blanketed.

Why not double-down on this topic? The Bills were playing two guys (Merriman and Kyle Williams) who were clearly nowhere near 100% and it showed. Put Dareus on the nose and put two healthy young guns in place of Merriman and Williams and look what happens. Granted the Redskins were depleted on the O-line but still, the D looked great!

Merriman was good at setting the edge against the run. But his pass rush was non-existent (1 sack through 4 games) for most of the time. Sometimes he popped up with good plays but for the most part he was invisible as far as pass rush.

I was hoping that Merriman would get stronger as the year went on but it was to no avail as he was placed on IR. I do like Moats he seems to have a knack for getting in space. But Washington's offense was just decimated by injury and their O-line wasn't doing that well. So lets not let one game by Moats get us carried away.

Still its good to see Moats getting some snaps at that rush LB position. I would still bring back Merriman next season to see what he has in camp (But knowing his cap number is big is going to hurt him). But for now its Moat's job to lose and he has looked up to the challenge.

Moats needs to be a focal point of this Defense.

I just re-watched the game and he was constantly getting into Beck's face. His stat line may not show it, but he was a huge reason why our Defense played so well yesterday.

It's not just speed, he shows good power too. I hope this opportunity helps make it permanent.