Pass Interference

Smears

I have been noticing alot of games outcomes are determined by this penalty. I dont agree with the spot of the foul after the penalty. If a QB bombs a 50 yard pass and someone interferes with the pass they shouldnt get that spot on the field. I can see an automatic first down or maybe 10 yards. Who is to say the receiver would have caught the ball anyway? Sometimes even if the ball wasnt catchable or an errant throw this penalty is still called. Any other solutions than giving a team yards they havnt earned?

I can see an automatic first down or maybe 10 yards. Who is to say the receiver would have caught the ball anyway?

So if you do that, whenever they throw a long pass the DB will just tackle the guy. A 10 yard penalty would be better.

Sometimes even if the ball wasnt catchable or an errant throw this penalty is still called.

Then that's just a bad call, not a bad rule.

Any other solutions than giving a team yards they havnt earned?

How about just doing away with Pass Interference all together? Let 'em just fight for it. The passing game would change, but smart football coaches would figure a way out to make it work. Football has too many rules, especially the subjective kind, like was the ball catch-able or not. This might be a good rule to get rid of.

So if you do that, whenever they throw a long pass the DB will just tackle the guy. A 10 yard penalty would be better.

Then that's just a bad call, not a bad rule.

How about just doing away with Pass Interference all together? Let 'em just fight for it. The passing game would change, but smart football coaches would figure a way out to make it work. Football has too many rules, especially the subjective kind, like was the ball catch-able or not. This might be a good rule to get rid of.

A worse and truly ridiculous rule is "illegal block in the back" on returns. Does this rule ever spare anyone any injury? I don't see how.

I have been noticing alot of games outcomes are determined by this penalty. I dont agree with the spot of the foul after the penalty. If a QB bombs a 50 yard pass and someone interferes with the pass they shouldnt get that spot on the field. I can see an automatic first down or maybe 10 yards. Who is to say the receiver would have caught the ball anyway? Sometimes even if the ball wasnt catchable or an errant throw this penalty is still called. Any other solutions than giving a team yards they havnt earned?

the obvious answer already being covered - Stevie is streaking to the endzone for the game winning td 40 yards down field, ball comes his way and TACKLE! should that be a 10 yard penalty? sure, stevie might drop that but the D could always, you know, take their chances and not interfere.

A worse and truly ridiculous rule is "illegal block in the back" on returns. Does this rule ever spare anyone any injury? I don't see how.

I don't think this is a necessarily bad rule, just one that is called WAY to strictly.

I've been saying this for years. They need to make interference reviewable and they need to have two fouls- egregious (spot of foul) or incidental (10 yard penalty). If they didn't have an egregious foul then you could just tackle Calvin Johnson everytime the ball was in the air. But I agree. Hey, we won the New England game because of a very borderline pass interference call that no one seems to ever want to acknowledge.

You can bet if the ball wasn't placed at the spot of the foul and a 15 yard penalty was the rule, there would be an increase in the number of PI calls down field. It would be a good foul to take and DBs would be coached to take it more often.

The officials are pretty good at determining whether or not a ball was catchable so it really comes down to whether or not the receiver would have had a fair shot at the ball. The ref can't assume a receiver would or wouldn't have made the catch.

GO BILLS!!!

I've been saying this for years. They need to make interference reviewable and they need to have two fouls- egregious (spot of foul) or incidental (10 yard penalty). If they didn't have an egregious foul then you could just tackle Calvin Johnson everytime the ball was in the air. But I agree. Hey, we won the New England game because of a very borderline pass interference call that no one seems to ever want to acknowledge.

They already have an incidental/illegal contact rule.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the PI against NE. There was nothing borderline about the call, IMO. A DB cannot deny the receiver an attempt at the ball while not making a play on the ball himself. That was a simple call to make.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

That's not the spirit or intent of the rule but if it does prevent an injury, so much the better.

GO BILLS!!!

It has to be there...otherwise a DB will just tackle the WR before he can catch the pass and take the 10 yard penalty rather than give up a TD in the end zone.

I agree the "block in the back" is ridiculous both in concept and application. When a penalty is called on what -- 30% of all kick returns -- there is obviously something wrong with the design of the game or the penalty.

As for PI, the only possible solution I can think of is to only award a spot foul for blatant interference and make anything else equal to defensive holding. Of course that would likely just ensure that favored teams/players get even more favorable calls, but isn't that really the case in every sport?

And opening the door for replay of penalties is a very bad idea. What's next, replay for drive killing holding calls? Incessant replays already make football less enjoyable and certainly hasn't done much to eliminate bad calls.

They already have an incidental/illegal contact rule.

That is not the same as pass interference. The referee (almost) always says with illegal contact:

"Prior to the pass, while the QB was still in the pocket"

Illegal contact requires both of those things. "Incidental contact" that people do not want called as DPI always occurs after the pass.

That is not the same as pass interference. The referee (almost) always says with illegal contact:

"Prior to the pass, while the QB was still in the pocket"

Illegal contact requires both of those things. "Incidental contact" that people do not want called as DPI always occurs after the pass.

I don't think I implied that illegal contact was the same as pass interference. Pass interference can only occur when an untipped ball is in the air.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed worst rule in football from top to bottom, how about you can't touch the receiver until the ball is in the air, at that point you can do whatever you want but if you do touch or tackle the reciever as a defender you must then touch the ball. This would eliminate that play the safety (clearly playing the ball) goes through the reciever and knocks the ball down. I know some will say they will just tackle the receiver, try that and then get up and touch the ball (don't think so)

Edited by Herb62

The problem isn't with the rule, it's with the application of it.

These guys are throwing flags at every piece of contact they see (or in many cases imagine they saw). If you've nailed your coverage and are jostling and hand-fighting with a WR just like he is with you, how the hell is that a penalty on the Corner? The only time they should even consider a flag is if a DB is beat and is grabbing a guys arm, jersey, etc while the ball is coming in.

Aside from that, shut yer yap and earn your yards.

And opening the door for replay of penalties is a very bad idea. What's next, replay for drive killing holding calls? Incessant replays already make football less enjoyable and certainly hasn't done much to eliminate bad calls.

Couldn't agree more. Nothing can make me change the channel faster than yet another stupid review.