John Beck named starter for Redskins

Mark Vader

Well, seeing as how Grossman will never get you anywhere.. it's better than that. Beck's ceiling is unknown at this point. He was okay from what I saw in preseason but we all know how that goes. I have my doubts but one thing I don't doubt is Grossman will never, ever be a QB that you can go far with. Ever. I've seen a fair amount of Skins games this year and Grossman choked in the 2 biggest games for them. He was timid, afraid to make the throw and when he did, they were picked off.

Well, seeing as how Grossman will never get you anywhere.. it's better than that. Beck's ceiling is unknown at this point. He was okay from what I saw in preseason but we all know how that goes. I have my doubts but one thing I don't doubt is Grossman will never, ever be a QB that you can go far with. Ever. I've seen a fair amount of Skins games this year and Grossman choked in the 2 biggest games for them. He was timid, afraid to make the throw and when he did, they were picked off.

Those are pretty bold statements considering he's already led his team to a superbowl appearance.

One bold statement deserves another, I suppose.

Sure he had a great defense that helped them get there, but he started every game for the Bears the year they went to the Superbowl. We hear the cliche all the time that its a quarterback driven league,so you have to give him some of the credit for the team's accomplishments that year. Even if the defense was the anchor of that team, Grossman at the very least was the leader of the offense. You can't just throw that out the window to prove a point that the guy sucks (which I happen to agree with). My point is you can say he sucks and still give credit where it's due.

Redskins actually have a solid D. Landry is a beast and the rookie Kerrigan has been a very good pick. I know he's better now but when Beck was with Miami early in his career he played against the Bills at RWS. It still ranks as the single worst performance of any QB i've ever seen at the stadium. I hope we see some of that Beck on Oct. 30th!

John Beck could not beat out Cleo Lemon in 2007 on that horrible 1-15 Dolphins squad, whom we swept.

Beck was the backup to Lemon that season and the Bills did not face him. Until last Sunday, he hadn't played in a game since 2007.

I have no idea what Shanahan was thinking with the QBs this year. Going into a season with Grossman and Beck as your solutions seems like a desperation move to get yourself fired. I'm surprised he didn't go out and find Jeff Smoker or Chad Hutchinson or Ken Dorsey.

John Beck could not beat out Cleo Lemon in 2007 on that horrible 1-15 Dolphins squad, whom we swept.

Beck was the backup to Lemon that season and the Bills did not face him. Until last Sunday, he hadn't played in a game since 2007.

I have no idea what Shanahan was thinking with the QBs this year. Going into a season with Grossman and Beck as your solutions seems like a desperation move to get yourself fired. I'm surprised he didn't go out and find Jeff Smoker or Chad Hutchinson or Ken Dorsey.

Check your history. Beck most certainly played against Bills in 2007. He started, but didn't finish

Edited by GG

I'm about 150 feet from where homeboy played his collegeball at BYU...All the Mormons just cheered when they saw the news that he will be the 'Skins starting QB...

Beck is 0-6 as a fill-in and/or starter in the pros, he is 30 years old and really isn't an upgrade over Grossman!

Yes, Beck has better accuracy...but, he is not a starting QB and will be an adequate backup until Shanny finds the starting QB he wants...I say, Beck keeps these guys in games this season--because, this will be his last shot at getting a starting gig!