Amazon sued in Seattle over revealing actress' age

Just Jack

Aren't birthdays considered public record.....? :unsure:

In a sense, yes. Documentation of birth certificates is kept by the various governmental agencies and hospitals.

But it's a private public record. Just because it's kept by a gov't/quasi-gov't agency doesn't mean they must/can share it with the press or every Nosy Parker who walks in.

Liken it to how Pres. Obama had to consent to have his birth certificate publicly released. Or just the same how not anyone can walk into the dog catcher's office and look at their files of licenses, vaccination records, owner lists, etc.

As to the lawsuit's merits, tho, it's crap if the data is true. Actresses by definition put themselves into the public eye, so they lose most rights afforded on "right to privacy" grounds. And falsity is a requirement for libel/slander cases... and that's only if one considers revealing someone's age to be a libel/slander. And while there do seem to be financial/employment implications WRT actresses' ages, that has to do with legal or illegal discriminations on the part of studios and production companies.

If it is her, she isn't exactly smart.

A birth date doesn't need to be public when her bio states she graduated from high school in 1986.

It doesn't take much to figure out her approximate age based on that event.

But it's a private public record. Just because it's kept by a gov't/quasi-gov't agency doesn't mean they must/can share it with the press or every Nosy Parker who walks in.

That may be reasonable, but Amazon.com isn't a quasi-gov't operation, which is why I agree that the lawsuit's merits are crap.

How the !@#$ can someone be sued for stating a verifiable fact?

This falls under "who gives a rodents rectum"?

That may be reasonable, but Amazon.com isn't a quasi-gov't operation, which is why I agree that the lawsuit's merits are crap.

it would depend on how they acquired the info?

In the government sphere, that's considered personally identifiable information, and revealing it is a crime.

I'm not sure what the laws are concerning private entities releasing it, but I assume there's enough cause for a civil suit.

And she's still hot so what? lol

In reality, though, your comment is the reason for her lawsuit.

Her argument is that Hollywood looks at age for casting movie roles, and that showing her age prevents her from getting certain movie roles.

For example, when Hollywood makes a high school movie, they look for actors between 18 and 21. They avoid under 18 due to child labor laws, and they won't look at actors over 21 (too old).

Her complaint is, even though she is "hot", Hollywood is looking for actresses 35 and younger to be "the babe" in a movie, and that age is the first thing they use to reduce the number of applicants.

In the government sphere, that's considered personally identifiable information, and revealing it is a crime.

I'm not sure what the laws are concerning private entities releasing it, but I assume there's enough cause for a civil suit.

Ok then, here's $10 and go away and don't come back until someone really gives a **** about how old you are.

In reality, though, your comment is the reason for her lawsuit.

Her argument is that Hollywood looks at age for casting movie roles, and that showing her age prevents her from getting certain movie roles.

For example, when Hollywood makes a high school movie, they look for actors between 18 and 21. They avoid under 18 due to child labor laws, and they won't look at actors over 21 (too old).

Her complaint is, even though she is "hot", Hollywood is looking for actresses 35 and younger to be "the babe" in a movie, and that age is the first thing they use to reduce the number of applicants.

And she knew all this when she got into the business. So what's her point? Instead of suing Amazon for revealing her REAL age she should sue the studios for age discrimination.

I do not think Lucy Liu fits the bill. She still is plenty busy and actress is basically claiming she is out of work due to Amazon's actions. Lucy Liu has been active since 1991 and it would be very easy to determine her age.

The argument is that IMDB required certain information to get IMDB Pro then made the information public.

• 2 months later...

In a sense, yes. Documentation of birth certificates is kept by the various governmental agencies and hospitals.

Liken it to how Pres. Obama had to consent to have his birth certificate publicly released. Or just the same how not anyone can walk into the dog catcher's office and look at their files of licenses, vaccination records, owner lists, etc.

As to the lawsuit's merits, tho, it's crap if the data is true. Actresses by definition put themselves into the public eye, so they lose most rights afforded on "right to privacy" grounds. And falsity is a requirement for libel/slander cases... and that's only if one considers revealing someone's age to be a libel/slander. And while there do seem to be financial/employment implications WRT actresses' ages, that has to do with legal or illegal discriminations on the part of studios and production companies.

What about the census? Doesn't that list age?