Maybin has 0.5 less sacks than our entire team

deep2evans

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He beat the RB for that one. Count me less than impressed.

It doesn't matter whom he beats as long as he gets to the qb. Without a doubt Maybin is a very flawed player. He is a liability against the run. It is also indisputable that Maybin has little instinct for the game. But the central point of the original poster is that a coaching staff on another team is able to utilize his particular talents while the Bills' coaching staff couldn't get much productivity out of the same talents.

No matter how much others want to trivialize Maybin's pass rush accomplishments with the Jets, he has, not withstanding his limitations, outperformed our defesnsive players in getting pressure and sacking the qb.

I'm not criticizing Gailey for cutting him. Sometimes the best thing for a team and a player is to recognize that in a particular setting there is little chance for a player to maximize his talents. I'm happy that he has found a situation that is better for him. However, it should at least be acknowledged that the Jets' coaching staff was able to get more productivity out of Maybin than our coaching staff was able to.

He beat the RB for that one. Count me less than impressed.

Ditto...saw the play live, maybin shed a cut block by a RB...by shed, I mean he didn't fall over top of the guy; however, 9 out of 10 times, the block would have been good enough. That was a coverage sack in which Rivers held the ball longer than he needed to an Maybin chased him down...It wasn't a very impressive play, at all.

Okay. So:

First off, Maybin has 3 FF and 3 sacks in 4 games. Name me who, on the Bills, has that.

But that isn't even really my point. The Bills missed on drafting him, I agree. the Bills also MISSED in being able to put a player, with considerable raw talents, on the field in situations where his weaknesses would be masked and his strengths would be maximized.

So what? You're telling me he just was a terrible player on the Bills, but he gets traded to a division rival and all of a sudden he becomes good? Like the Jets just got lucky? So no blame goes on the Bills' FO? And explain to me how the Jets somehow have the luxury of taking chances on players like Maybin and the Bills don't?

I really don't understand how you can look at what Maybin has done so far and not at the very least, raise eyebrows at the Bills for dumping him. Especially with Gailey being so outward in his contempt for the kid and the kid's chances on making the team. Maybe his star falls, maybe it doesn't. But you can't deny what he's done so far. Especially in the context of the Bills' having 0 pass rush at the moment.

Yea he's not an every down player. A lot of solid players in the NFL AREN'T every down players. Are you telling me there wasn't a roster spot for a situational pass rusher on the Bills team? Bc, from looking at our pass rush so far, I think we could have used it.

So yea, that's my logic. Real dumb to have your logic backed up by..well..you know...facts and stuff.

Right here. Anyone who is scoffing at what he's done on the Jets so far is simply in denial. Mel Kiper said just the other day that B.J. Raji was looking like a bust in his first year in Green Bay, but they stuck with him and helped him develop. He also said that if Maybin was drafted by the Packers he wouldn't have been a bust. It's called player development and some teams are better at it than others. Clearly the Jets know what they're doing.

From what I saw it was more scheme than anything. Rex Ryan is doing the right thing to utilize Maybin's speed. He's bringing odd man rushes forcing the RB/TE to take out the inside guy thus allowing Maybin to use his speed to get around the outside and rush the passer.

What does Ralph Wilson have to do with Maybin's playing wieght?

Maybin was not run out of town. He was beat out on a team that boasts such star LB's as Moats, Batten, Carrington and Kelsey (sarcasm intended BTW). Maybin could not beat out any of these guys for playing time. He is fortunate to land a spot on the jets, where he was once cut, and can fill a role for them.

I think it was obvious and even Nix mentioned it that Maybin was at almost 250 during the combine and the draft. He played at Penn St in the 220's and has been back in the 220s during his time with us. Maybin was run out of town. Nix said "he just can't seem to keep weight on". How does someone bulk up by 25 lbs over night, lose it and then "can't put it back on"? I feel there is no way we would have drafted the guy if he came into the combine at his college playing weight of 220. He got on the stuff. Got his draft position up. Made his pay day and stole money from the Bills. I don't think the organization trusted a guy that would do that.

The role Maybin is playing on the Jets is a role that we need filled. PASS RUSHER!!! We don't have any good ones and it's making our CB's look bad. I thought McKelvin was terrible until I saw Florence look even worse. Our CBs are being asked to cover for too long.

Mario Williams career started slow, its only 3rd year...the kid is what 24-25 years old

No Maybin is not 24,he is 23. When the Bills drafted Maybin, he just has turned 21 years old. His age when we drafted him + using the 11 pick overall (which was way to high obviously) + two D coordinators in two years, are a few reason why Maybin struggled here.

I am not sticking up for Maybin, it just didn't work out here in Buffalo for him. Looks like Ryan has found a way to use his speed.

Maybin, like everyone else, has strengths and weaknesses.

The Bills could not figure out a way in their current scheme to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses so they cut him. The Jets could figure out how to utilize him properly in their scheme and Maybin is showing signs of life. He will most likely improve since for all intents and purposes this is his first real season in the proper setting and without being turned into a LB etc.

In short, not the player for the Bills but possibly a decent player or better for the Jets. Just one of those things.

In short, not the player for the Bills but possibly a decent player or better for the Jets. Just one of those things.

But it's not just one of those things. As others have said, it's another symptom of an overmatched, unimaginative, scared defensive coaching staff that doesn't know what it's doing. They continue to misuse players and mis-design schemes and get embarassed on a weekly basis doing so. Spencer Johnson and Alex Carrington playing OLB, looking baffled and lost. A 3-4 "hybrid" concept with no quality edge rushers and a roster built for a 4-3. Corners giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 5... George Edwards is an idiot.

Why is Fitz good this year????

The point is simple, Chan the Man did not draft him that was DJ, hence Chan and HIS staff felt he wasn't good enough to play for them. Fitz was just a backup in everyones eye, and even Chan started Trent over him, but now he is good enough and putting up great numbers.....

It's a system thing and if the coaches on the Bills didn't see it in Maybin then they didn't see it. I'm glad Maybin is doing something because so many people on this board have bashed him and even Rex said he could do something with him. Give Rex credit for taking a body who has had the skills just not the right setting as Chan did with soooooo many players. How many guys are on this team that haven't even been drafted or are late rounders and are stars? We all have to look at it like this and be happy that Maybin is doing something to earn his check.

But it's not just one of those things. As others have said, it's another symptom of an overmatched, unimaginative, scared defensive coaching staff that doesn't know what it's doing. They continue to misuse players and mis-design schemes and get embarassed on a weekly basis doing so. Spencer Johnson and Alex Carrington playing OLB, looking baffled and lost. A 3-4 "hybrid" concept with no quality edge rushers and a roster built for a 4-3. Corners giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 5... George Edwards is an idiot.

I can't disagree with your opinion of George Edwards and our current defense but it is mostly irrelevant to Maybin's situation. Maybin was drafted and played under the previous coaching staff as well with similar results.

The biggest part of the problem is that we drafted him way too high and payed him too much money to give him the role of a situational pass rusher. The other part of the problem, IMO, is that Maybin thought way too much of himself and wasn't very coachable. When referring to Maybin, Gailey generally acknowledged he was a hard worker but wasn't doing the things the coaches wanted him to do.

Jets picked him up, cut him, then brought him back and made it real simple: situational pass rusher with a minimal paycheck. Maybin, to his credit, has responded well.

To those who say the SD sack was just a coverage sack, I have to disagree. The outlet running back was wide open while Rivers was being sacked but Rivers didn't have the time to put the ball out there because of Maybin's speed.

Long story short I have to agree that it's just one of those things.

Jets picked him up, cut him, then brought him back and made it real simple: situational pass rusher with a minimal paycheck. Maybin, to his credit, has responded well.

This. I doubt the Jets would have him on the team at his Buffalo pay rate. Good for Maybin. He wasn't ever going to succeed here and if he gets a couple of sacks at minimum pay, give him credit for working hard. It's over, let's move on.

Ok the Jets blitz with reckless abandon...so they get more sacks than us. That seems to make logical sense. I'm not sure how that at all reflects any difference is Maybin's skill set or effectiveness. They have the best defensive back in the league to leave isolated in man coverage against pretty much anyone - so they have that luxury.

I'm not going to say it's Edwards fault because plenty of Bills coaches probably had input on that decision (including Wanny). I guess getting cut really lit a fire under Maybin. This hurts.

Blasphimy!

Its all Edwards fault. Its obviously the co-ordinators fault the the linebackers haven't been impressive, not the Linebackers coach, he has SB rings and a 'stache!