Seems to now be the Harbaugh / Schwartz thread

Simon

Apparently there was an extra-hard handshake which, of course on TV we couldn't detect but I did see the very gusto-esque back slap.

Schwartz also mentioned something about profanity.

I feel the same way I felt about McDaniels-Belichick and Harbaugh-Carroll… these guys deserve each other.

I don't know if there was really an extra hard handshake, or at least I don't think that was the reason Schwartz was pissed. I think Harbaugh was just being "coy" in the interview.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there was an extra-hard handshake which, of course on TV we couldn't detect but I did see the very gusto-esque back slap.

Schwartz also mentioned something about profanity.

I feel the same way I felt about McDaniels-Belichick and Harbaugh-Carroll… these guys deserve each other.

My point is, I've never heard anyone complain about a handshake being too hard. I'm sure Harbaugh and Schwartz haven't either. The issue wasn't that it was too hard, it was that it was too enthusiastic. Seemed like Harbaugh might has well have called him a kitty in the post game conference. Again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Surprised by folks blaming Harbaugh.

Schwartz has been acting like a screaming doucherocket at the end of games all year.

Harbaugh shows a little fire and suddenly Schwarz can't take his own medicine and needs to chase him down the field while Harbaugh is trying to walk away from it?

Schwartz looked like a much bigger * as far as I'm concerned

Agree 100% Harbaugh gave a spirited handshake and a slap on the back. Check out Schwatrz at the end of last week's game.

Schwartz is an ankle biter. He's lookig like a total kitty on this one. TOTAL kitty.

What's your deal?

I liked it when Carroll was on the losing end.

Schwartz should have handled it better. But it never would have happened if Harbaugh showed just a little class.

First, Pete Carroll and USC ran up the score on everyone they could for YEARS, so anyone who returns the favor with some attitude against the douchiest program in college football is going to get a free pass from me for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Second, Simon is right. I can't believe people are going to attack Harbaugh for giving a less-than-sportsmanlike handshake after today's game when the other guy chased him 50 yards downfield and started a brawl!! Are you !@#$ing kidding me??? Schwartz looks ten times more idiotic for his actions than Harbaugh.

In Harbaugh's post-game interview it almost seemed like an insult when he took the blame by saying he shook hands too hard. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Agree. He said he shook his hand too hard, almost as if to say Schwartz couldn't handle it.

Harbaugh has always been an arrogant guy. Even as a QB when he was a bum for most of his career.

Surprised by folks blaming Harbaugh.

Schwartz has been acting like a screaming doucherocket at the end of games all year.

Harbaugh shows a little fire and suddenly Schwarz can't take his own medicine and needs to chase him down the field while Harbaugh is trying to walk away from it?

Schwartz looked like a much bigger * as far as I'm concerned

agreed.

I agree. It has been obvious for a long time that Harbaugh is a douche. He might end up the heir to Belicheat. He is that douchey.

Because Harbaugh has a history of being a dick. That's why.

more like a history of winning.

I was laughing at harbaugh the last minute or two of that game for being totally out of his mind over intense. What I will say is that he has a team that many seem to buy in on the emotional approach. I think he was trying to manufacture some emotions by running and jumping. Did he get carried away? Yea. Was the slap on the back too much? Certainly. Do you chase him down the field like you want to attack him? No, but I think it fits with JS and building that "not in my house" attitude that he wants.

Long story short - both appear to be good young coaches "putting on the show" for their players. Odds are one, if not both, will flame out if they rely on that stuff but it's a start in changing losing culture- be excited for your victories, and demand respect from opponents.... Now both need to start finding the "been there done that, going to do it lots more" to take the next step with these teams. That's the hardest one.

agreed.

more like a history of winning.

AND a history of being a dick. I know he is a good coach. Doesn't mean he can't be a dick. Belicheat is a great coach AND a total wanker.

We weren't discussing coaching abilities were we? No. So it's not really a clever response.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Harbaugh is a dick and I've never really had much of an opinion on Schwartz, but Schwartz was in the wrong. It sounds like Schwartz didn't like Harbaugh's overly exuberant handshake and back-slap, and thought he heard Harbaugh swear at him.

As for Harbaugh's "I shook his hand too hard" comment, I read it first and thought "was an ass!" Then I saw the interview and he actually sounded genuine. But I wonder, was that the hand he broke on Kelly's face?

heard hasselbeck and company talking about it and they basically said that there is no reason for teams to come together after the game to make 'nice'...said that as fans, there is nothing more frustrating to see 2 players that just fought tooth and nail for 3 hours yucking it up afterwards...I agree...this is a physical sport...leave the feel good stuff out...a simple wave across the field is sufficient, it isn't any less sportsman like...I get harbaughs enthusiasm, granted we didn't hear what was said, but schwartz seemed to over react....

Bastages!

Basically, Harbaugh pulled the ol' "Lift Up My Shirt In Exultant Victory And Exuberantly Slap Five With My Opponent." Schwartz wasn't feeling it.

Managed to find a piece of the aftermath on a 49ers site...

Video: Harbaugh celebration ticks off Lions coach

This is the NFL, not college. If Harbaugh keeps it up, it won't be long before someone puts him on the mat. I still remember what Matt Millen did to Patriots GM Pat Sullivan back in '85 for acting like a jerk.

Schwartz was just being a baby. It was nothing on Harbaugh's part. Just Schwartz being bitter about the loss. Can't totally blame a coach for that. It was a high intensity game. Emotions fly. Shouldn't be fines. Hell, there shouldn't be handshakes at the end. Not the sport for it. Just a wave will do. Chalk it up Schwartz. Can't go 16-0 now. Big deal. You're still a very legit team.