What is Chad Kelly (Jim's nephew) hinting at?

Doc

I think in that scenario Ralph and his heirs are taxed twice: cap gains when he sells the team, estate when he leaves proceeds to his heirs.

Exactly correct. That is why he will not sell the team while he is alive because then he would have to pay BOTH capital gains tax on the profit (for argument's sake $800 million - $25,000) and then when he dies, his estate would have to pay estate tax on the value of his assets he owns at death (minus any property he bequeaths to his wife which falls under the marital exemption). (And no, if he bequeaths the team to his wife it won't help because then it will still be subject to estate tax on her death.)

Now 9 pages of speculation on a teenager's tweet.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Edited by clancynut

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly correct. That is why he will not sell the team while he is alive because then he would have to pay BOTH capital gains tax on the profit (for argument's sake $800 million - $25,000) and then when he dies, his estate would have to pay estate tax on the value of his assets he owns at death (minus any property he bequeaths to his wife which falls under the marital exemption). (And no, if he bequeaths the team to his wife it won't help because then it will still be subject to estate tax on her death.)

Now 9 pages of speculation on a teenager's tweet.

I think about 7 pages are those complaining how many pages the thread is.

Thanks bbb.

This lends a bit more intrigue… at least it does for me.

Even if one keeps their imagination on a short leash… these dots can be easily connected. Almost too easily.

Yeah, that's what I said this morning. He had 2-3000 followers and if he just ends the account like that, I would think something important was getting leaked.

I totally agree this kid is a typical teenage goon, but he's also a goon who happens to be a member of one of two families that knows more than anyone in the world what the future may hold for the Bills. It's totally plausible that he overheard something and decided to tweet about it. The fact that his tweets and indeed his whole profile disappeared within like 24 hours certainly smells like damage control.

Teenagers have a hard time understanding the scope and impact of their actions, and probably even more so when they're wealthy, highly-touted college football prospects with direct ties to NFL royalty and a couple thousand twitter followers.

Or this could all be about contract talks with a new urinal cake distributor. Who knows. Maybe we'll know more this weekend.

Question: For those of us who have left WNY, is this being covered or talked about ANYwhere in the media up there, or is TSW the only place breaking this story?

Edited by jimmyo

I have heard nothing outside of the Stadium walls.

clever.:thumbsup:

To those wasting space about the number of posts & pages here, check out the number of hits on the thread. It speaks volumes to the interest in this story/non-story. In the event the gist has passed you by, it's an intriguing view into our most fervent hopes.

If y'all hate the growing number of pages, you're likely gonna 'lose it' with the thread bumps. So prepare yourselves..

I totally agree this kid is a typical teenage goon, but he's also a goon who happens to be a member of one of two families that knows more than anyone in the world what the future may hold for the Bills. It's totally plausible that he overheard something and decided to tweet about it. The fact that his tweets and indeed his whole profile disappeared within like 24 hours certainly smells like damage control.

Teenagers have a hard time understanding the scope and impact of their actions, and probably even more so when they're wealthy, highly-touted college football prospects with direct ties to NFL royalty and a couple thousand twitter followers.

Or this could all be about contract talks with a new urinal cake distributor. Who knows. Maybe we'll know more this weekend.

Question: For those of us who have left WNY, is this being covered or talked about ANYwhere in the media up there, or is TSW the only place breaking this story?

Damage control is a good term to use I think. I'm actually surprised that no one else has picked up on this story- Granted all we have to go on are the musings of Chad Kelly, but like you said, his family is one of two that would happen to have privy info regarding the future of the Buffalo Bills- where there is smoke, there is fire....

Edited by saundena

. . . The fact that his tweets and indeed his whole profile disappeared within like 24 hours certainly smells like damage control.

Or this could all be about contract talks with a new urinal cake distributor. Who knows. Maybe we'll know more this weekend. . . .

Hard to argue that there is no damage control happening here, but the question is, what damage is someone trying to prevent? Your point about teenagers in general seems right to me - - and there is reason to think that this particular kid may have more trouble than most understanding the way others will judge his actions (perhaps for the reasons you suggest):

http://www.gametimepa.com/ci_13570599

Sophomore quarterback Chad Kelly has been dismissed from the Red Lion High School football team, Lions coach Pat Conrad confirmed Thursday.

"He's off the team and I don't want to go into any further details," Conrad said.

Conrad wouldn't elaborate on the reasons for Kelly's dismissal, but said the decision was made "earlier this week."

Kelly, the nephew of NFL Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, was suspended for Red Lion's home game last Friday against Dover, which the Lions won, 55-13. Afterward, Conrad refused to disclose the reason for the suspension, saying the team would handle the situation "in house."

Chad Kelly started the first five games this season for Red Lion (3-3, 2-1 in YAIAA Division I), ranking second in the league in passing yards during that time. In his last game, an Oct. 2 win at Spring Grove, Kelly set single-game school records by throwing for 285 yards and five touchdowns.

Kelly was also suspended for the Lions' final seven games of last season for undisclosed reasons.

I've read that Chad has verbally committed to Clemson University, but I've also read that other college coaches are still contacting him, trying to get him to change his mind about which school he will attend.

http://app.watchgamefilm.com/_files/disk0/02EE1DD4-728A-41C3-9AAC-6ADD2FAA0925/docs/4C2FE7E2-23B5-468C-A446-C60BF02CE937.pdf

Earlier this spring, Kelly gave a verbal commitment to

play football at Clemson.

“I just loved everything about Clemson,” Kelly said.

“Everything from the coaches, to the players, to the

people in the Pancake House. Everyone down there

was great.”

He also says he is thrilled that Clemson will host

Furman in his second college game - meaning he will

get to see former Canisius QB Travis Eman.

“I canʼt wait to see Travis,” Kelly said. “What a great

quarterback.”

Kelly is still learning how to handle fame. He has

over 1,500 followers on his Twitter account... something

that bothers his Uncle Jim.

“Uncle Jim tells me all the time that everything I say

and everything I do is going to be seen by somebody,”

Kelly said, “and I wonʼt be able to hide anything. If I do

something stupid for two seconds, it could be the dumbest

two seconds of my life.”

I don't follow college football recruiting, so I don't know the rules. I'm assuming, but not certain, that if Chad can still change his mind about where to accept a scholarship, Clemson can still change its mind and withdraw its existing scholarship offer.

Under these circumstances, if my assumption about his Clemson scholarship not being binding on either side yet is correct, I can see how his parents/family might see potential risk in letting the kid continue to tweet. Given his past disciplinary issues at Red Lion, PA, why risk letting the kid get embroiled in ANY controversy that might impact his choice of colleges?

So maybe the damage being prevented has nothing to do with who the next owner of the Bils will be, and everything to do with protecting the kid's ability to maintain the tentative scholarship commitment from the college he has already decided he wants to attend. Even if the Bills-related news he's hinted at turns out to be relatively unimportant, if it's something the Bills wanted to be first to disclose, it reflects badly on the judgment of uncle Jim (for telling his nephew the info at all) and on Chad (for the ego-pumping hints about having inside Bills info).

In my view, although Chad could know something important about the Bills, there could be parental/family damage control happening for other reasons.

Haiku if he was my kid:

Chad tweets about Bills

Clemson scholarship at risk

So bye-bye twitter

Just my 2 lira.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Schopp and the Bulldog mentioned this briefly yesterday around 4:15 or so, for what it's worth (not much really). They were cautiously excited about what this could mean. Bulldog wanted this to be like the beginning of the Pegula rumors. They actually likened this to Pegula's daughter leaking the failed attempt to get Brad Richards on her Twitter account.

I have heard nothing outside of the Stadium walls.

Hopefully this means there is a plan in place to keep the Bills in Buffalo for the long term. Maybe Ralph agreed to purchase price with a potential buyer to make things easier for his estate when he passes? Also to any tax experts out there, what would be the tax burden to his heirs if he were to sell the team now and divide the profits amongst those named in his estate now prior to his death

P.S. Page 10!!!!

Edited by clancynut