1400+ yards surrendered in the last 3 games

jester43

go ahead, jump all over my **** and insult me personally if you want. i would rather the pollyannas be right and i be wrong. but for the love of all things holy and good, how am i supposed to think this is suddenly a good team?

go ahead, and please be convincing. i want to <ahem> "billieve."

and before you start, we've already heard that the raiders and bengals are two of the best teams in the NFL, it's just that the rest of the world hasn't figured it out yet. i'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that.

Edited by jester43

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go ahead, jump all over my **** and insult me personally if you want. i would rather the pollyannas be right and i be wrong. but for the love of all things holy and good, how am i supposed to think this is suddenly a good team?

and before you start, we've already heard that the raiders and bengals are two of the best teams in the NFL, it's just that the rest of the world hasn't figured it out yet. i'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that.

I will say that the Bills have some talent on defense, I just think that they are being utilized all wrong. I am going to hijack your thread a little and push make this the FIRE GEORGE EDWARDS THREAD.

Edwards was horrible last year and outright sucks this year as a coordinator. There is no way that a D coordinator would allow little 5'9" players to run all over the field and catch for 250 yards against them or let a rookie QB pick apart his defense in the last couple of minutes of a game.

Last week, the Brady/Welker show can be chalked up to Brady being a pretty good QB but that debacle yesterday was absolutely uncalled for and someones head should be on display at One Bills Drive and Abbott today. That defensive showing in the 2nd half yesterday was attrocious!

actually the whole league is not giving up this kind of yardage. there are exactly 5 teams worse than us and we've played (and, in fairness, beaten) 2 of them. and needed miracle comebacks in both cases. and really, at no point did we ever slow brady down. you think he's going to throw another 4 picks the next time we play them?

It's a weird year. I have noticed many "good" teams have given up lot's of yardage too. I think when it's all said and done, Cinci just may end up with a Top 3 defense overall and we may look at that game yesterday differently.

The Bills D is better but mainly b/c they are getting some takeaway and TD's this year. They still can't get off the field on crucial 3rd (and 4th) downs. They still give up chunk yardage in alarming numbers.

I will say that the Bills have some talent on defense, I just think that they are being utilized all wrong. I am going to hijack your thread a little and push make this the FIRE GEORGE EDWARDS THREAD.

Edwards was horrible last year and outright sucks this year as a coordinator. There is no way that a D coordinator would allow little 5'9" players to run all over the field and catch for 250 yards against them or let a rookie QB pick apart his defense in the last couple of minutes of a game.

Last week, the Brady/Welker show can be chalked up to Brady being a pretty good QB but that debacle yesterday was absolutely uncalled for and someones head should be on display at One Bills Drive and Abbott today. That defensive showing in the 2nd half yesterday was attrocious!

it has been 3 straight games of sieve defense. i suppose you can scapegoat the d.c. and maybe replacing him with wanny would be like magic, but do you think that's going to happen any time soon? or better, is it going to happen BEFORE the playoffs are completely out of reach?

anyone who knows the history of this franchise will answer no.

actually the whole league is not giving up this kind of yardage. there are exactly 5 teams worse than us and we've played (and, in fairness, beaten) 2 of them. and needed miracle comebacks in both cases. and really, at no point did we ever slow brady down. you think he's going to throw another 4 picks the next time we play them?

Yes, in fact they are... this season so far has seen the largest yardage total so far after 4 games in years. We just happened to play against a team that is one of the exceptions this season out there.

Edited by BmoreBills

We are so lucky to be 3-1 ( or un-LUCKY depending on how you look at it). We now see what happens when our offense can't score 38 points! This is the worst defense the Bills have had in 25+ years!! I just dont get their game plan. The corners play 7-8 yds off the receivers and we have no pass rush. Does anyone think we still have a chance at the LUCK sweepstakes?

Things are different because this year the offense isn't as bad as the defense. But yes, it's going to take more than one rookie class to turn this D around.

p.s. remember the theory from last season that the defense would be fine if the offense could stay on the field longer? lol

Your premise is just completely wrong--"suddenly a good team."

They became a competitive team last year. They ARE a better team this year. Just because a bunch of bandwagoners thought 3-0 made them suddenly good, doesn't make it so. They are capable of beating any team on any given Sunday. I predicted they could be a turn-around team this year based on their improvements on both sides of the ball. That does not make them invincible. I think you are the one being unrealistic. I pegged them at 3-1 at this point, so it's exactly what I expected. In today's NFL teams will win some and lost some that you don't expect. In the prediction thread for Cincinatti, I said it would be a dog fight, and the Bills could very well lose it. I actually said they would sneak out a victory--they should have. I have the Bills at 4-2 at the Bye. I think they can win a shoot out with Philly at home.

As for my 10-6 prediction overall, I think it's still realistic. Some teams are a little tougher than I expected, but some are worse. I expected the Bills to lose two to the Pats and Jets each. I think they can win 3 of 4 now. Tennessee and Washington are tougher than I thought. We'll see.

As for your Raiders and Bengals comment, maybe you aren't a very good evaluator of teams? They are both very tough, physical teams. The Bills are better able to stand up to those types of teams now. I think they were mentally prepared for the Raiders toughness, but not for the Bengals. Despite attempts to not get over confident, it's natural.

The Bills D is ranked 27th in the league. Below us are Green Bay, New England, Oakland, Chicago. Good teams are giving up gobs of yards this year. What's different for us is we are giving up passing yards becuase our Run D is better (wouldn't know yesterday) but it is. A better run D is exposing our weak secondary. Many think we need LB's and we do, but frankly, unless we find a quality replacement for McKelvin, we need a CB. Let's hope the rook steps up. Now you all may want to jump on me but, we gave KW a big-ass contract and so far, he's been a non-factor. I figured with teams keying on Dareus, KW would be all-world. Hasn't happened. Where's KW?

A rookie QB has put up over 400 yards on his first 2 games in league and almost had 400 again yesterday. Are you trying to imply that all of a sudden the Panthers have a potent offense? I think we are seeing poor defensive play due to lockout yet didnt people always contend that D is way ahead of the O in preseason?

Your logic impresses me, sir. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

While it's true that defense is in short supply so far this year across the league, it's especially disappointing that our unit isn't showing more improvement given all the attention spent on it this past offseason. For the most part, the offensive side of the ball was ignored in the offseason. With the investment spent on the defense, it's very disappointing to see them not be able to get off the field in those back to back scoring drives the Bengals put together to close out the game.

They are getting turnovers, and up until yesterday the run defense looked improved. Although, they looked eerily similar to Bills teams of recent years the way Benson was gashing long runs at will yesterday.

Why waste our time? You've already formed your opinion. The Bills suck. Why not go root for the Jets?

Why waste our time? You've already formed your opinion. The Bills suck. Why not go root for the Jets?

I love when someone poses a question and points out an alarming stat this is always one of the first responses. Reminds me of a 13 year old at high school dance.

I love when someone poses a question and points out an alarming stat this is always one of the first responses. Reminds me of a 13 year old at high school dance.

It's not an alarming stat if you compare it with what it happening in the league today, and of course we're not playing in a vacuum.