Do the bills have the best O-line in the NFL?

There is so much praise going to Fitzy and Steve and Jackson and they deserve it but Fitzy is the least sacked QB in the League! he has been sacked 1 time in three games with throwing 111 times. The next closest is Jason Campbell with 2 sacks and he has only thrown 82 passes. even Brady has been sacked 3 times. Teams also knew that we were going to be passing in two of the games because of the amount we were trailing by.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the BILLS have the best scheme and execution through the first 3 weeks. The OLine is certainly a part of that.

I no longer fear them imploding. In fact, I have extreme confidence in them in short yardage situations (the glaring exception is Chandler, who is 50/50 on handling his blocking responsibility). That's quite a departure from the past.

No the Bills do not have the best O-line. We are not close to having the best O-line. What we do have is a QB and a scheme that is predicated on getting the ball out so quickly that the line almost doesn't have a chance to fail as long as they don't get pre-snap penalties.

The running game is a different story in that the O-line has a much greater impact in my opinion compared to the passing game. That being said the threat of the pass, the play calling and the scheme are also helping out quite a bit.

Good start for them but let's not get carried away!

Edited by PDaDdy

Props to the OLine as due of course, but I think no small part is due to the offensive scheme of getting rid of the ball too quickly for the rush to break down the pocket. Credit for this goes to Gailey for putting his players in situations in which they can be successful.

Yes, the run game has been successful, but I think passing has set up the run here.

Good coaching/scheme/execution, but if we were running a run first or deep ball offense I think we'd see different results.

I'd say that according to all metrics, we indeed, thus far have the best O-Line in the NFL, and if not, then who's better? We have the third best rusher, second best rushing offense, and 1 sack. Yes, Ftizy moves the ball consistently under 3 seconds, but last time I checked how fast your QB got rid of the ball wasn't part of the measurement.. :)

Tim-

Statistically, one of the tops. But we all have to be aware that Gailey's innovative offensive scheme has Fitz getting rid of the ball quicker than average to a boatload of receivers up the middle, some of whom are used as blockers. That leads to fewer sacks (only 1). Our spread offense opens holes for the running game, instead of a traditional offense doing the opposite. In addition, Fitz has above average mobility when he does get pressure and can't get rid of the ball in two seconds.

Nonetheless, kudos to this line.

I read on the internet we suck so.....

Yep. I was basically called an idiot for merely saying they were better than last year. <_<

But good to see they're doing well. And with Urbik coming back at worst by Philly and Hairston continuing to develop, the depth looks decent.

I don't know why anyone is so shocked. They were an average line last year and Bell, Wood and Levitre have had another year to grow. Aside from a couple shaky preseason performances, there was no reason to think they wouldn't be at least average again. Yes they are exceeding expectations, but they were already decent. Anyone who was saying otherwise was a lot like these people who have 8 bumper stickers declaring Obama the worst president of all-time, but couldn't tell you one reason they think he's a poor president.

I think the great transformation for the O-line was moving Wood to center and replacing his guard position with a bull. I thought the O-line would be better this year because of the improvement in the middle--the Bills did not play well against physical D-lines last year.

Based on that, I believed the running game would be much better. While I thought the mix of Fitz and Gailey's O would mask deficiencies, I certainly never thought the pass pro would be this good so far.

I have a front seat to the Bills bandwagon but even I am not going to say the bills have the best OL in the NFL.......

- If Fitz (or whoever was QBing the team) was holding onto the ball you would see some pretty bad sack numbers

- Keep in mind that we have been pretty luck so far in the injury dept.....where as in the past our OL has been DECIMATED by season ending injuries

- Guys who had bad injuries are back and healthy

- We have a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly....dare I say like Brady

- We have an offensive coordinator/HC that understands exactly what he has on his team.....and maximizes it

That said....they aren't the dumpster divers that too many people have claimed them to be

But good to see they're doing well. And with Urbik coming back at worst by Philly and Hairston continuing to develop, the depth looks decent.

I'm still worried about the depth. We had one and only one guy who seemed like he'd be a good backup (Reinhard) and he's now in our starting lineup. I saw Hairston have one really nice looking preseason game, but I hesitate to call a 4th round rookie decent depth. He's much closer to a we keep our fingers crossed kind of guy. High upside, but just as low of a downside.

Injuries could derail our OLine in a hurry. Even just one (more).

Edited by Mark Long Beach

There is so much praise going to Fitzy and Steve and Jackson and they deserve it but Fitzy is the least sacked QB in the League! he has been sacked 1 time in three games with throwing 111 times. The next closest is Jason Campbell with 2 sacks and he has only thrown 82 passes. even Brady has been sacked 3 times. Teams also knew that we were going to be passing in two of the games because of the amount we were trailing by.

Not a chance but they have been performing better than expected