What's Wrong With Merriman

box0life

I remember the 5-1 start in 2008 and we ended up 7-9. Without Brady's four thrown picks, the Bills get blown out today.

again, this isnt your moms' (trents) bills team. we have a actual man at qb. we also beat bad teams to go 5-1, not the pats raiders and another playoff team.

also we were 5-1 with no passes downfield, i think fitz has thrown more downfield passes in three games so far than dicwards threw in his whole career

Edited by loserlovers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My Book

By JohninMInn

-Table of Contents-

Chapter 1 - The Sky is Blue

Chapter 2 - The Grass is Green

Chapter 3 - The Earth is Round

Chapter 4 - TOM BRADY AND WES WELKER ARE AN EFFECTIVE QB/WR DUO

Chapter 5- Men and Women have their differences

Chapter 6 - March comes after February

Chapter 7 - Humans breathe air

I read that chapter. It was probably the least insightful of them all.

hey I'm a Bill's fan with a little perspective. 1 Merriman had 0 tackles 2 The Patriots had a ton of yardage. No need to go to such extreme lengths to illustrate your fanaticism <_<

hey I'm a Bill's fan with a little perspective. 1 Merriman had 0 tackles 2 The Patriots had a ton of yardage. No need to go to such extreme lengths to illustrate your fanaticism <_<

So when is the next game they'll play a passing combination like Brady/Welker? When's the next time they'll play a running game as good as Oakland's?

Perspective is understanding that NFL matchups change from week-to-week so strategy also changes. Perspective is understanding that some players are so good that you cannot completely stop them. Perspective is also understanding that just because a team doesn't win like you think they should, doesn't mean that the team isn't good.

If Dalton and Green look as good as Brady and Welker next week, I'll share your concern.

again, this isnt your moms' (trents) bills team. we have a actual man at qb. we also beat bad teams to go 5-1, not the pats raiders and another playoff team.

also we were 5-1 with no passes downfield, i think fitz has thrown more downfield passes in three games so far than dicwards threw in his whole career

If the Patriots didn't lose today they would have won or tied.

He went to the locker room during the game and came back to play. I'm convinced his shoulder injury is actually more serious than anyone is letting on. I keep feeling it is similar to andre Davis last year who kept gutting it out with A shoulder no one really knew the full seriousness of until he was put on ir with a torn labrum - i' m hoping it doesn't come to that, but there's no way you can play your best with a seriously bad shoulder

I agree, I think something is wrong with Merriman and he/the Bills are keeping it quiet

I agree. This team is in trouble. Just wait until we play someone good. <_<

Nobody is happier with the final score of today's game than I am.

But let's recognize a valid point when one slaps us in the forehead: somehow someway we've got find a pass rush.

Nobody is happier with the final score of today's game than I am.

But let's recognize a valid point when one slaps us in the forehead: somehow someway we've got find a pass rush.

You'll see one next week. You might not see one against the Eagles if Vick is playing.

I would like to see more of a pass rush, but you know what, we managed to shut down the run for three teams. Everyone was saying all week that you can't blitz Brady, you can only force him to make bad throws. Well, we did that and we made him pay each and every time he did. Yes, we got 4 INT's on the best QB in the league. We can't do that every week, but we aren't playing against a passer like Brady every week.

Four games and he has been basically invisable in all of them. This guy was a beast for the first two preseason games and now he is as fragile and unproductive as his last three years. As far as I'm concerned he has yet to earn a dime of his recent contract signing. If he has to be treated like a pansy all year for fear he is going to hurt himself then get him off the field. Football is not for pansies. What happened to all the hype about "I'm back". Watch out for "Lights out". Well as far as I'm concerned his light is as dim as ever. Perhaps somebody should light something under his candyass to get him going. Zero tackles today and no sacks in one of the biggest games of the regular season. Give me a break!!!!

Sorry to vent but we need this guy to perform. Believe me I'm as excited as can be about our start but we have 13 more games and I'm very concerned that this team will collapse unless we start putting some pressure on the Quarterback. I remember the 5-1 start in 2008 and we ended up 7-9. Without Brady's four thrown picks, the Bills get blown out today.

First... has it been four games? I thought this was only game 3 yesterday.

Second... he was not invisible. I remember that when the Patriots were on the goal line, Merriman ate up the lead blocker so Barnett could make the stop. Remember that football is a team sport. Just because Kyle Williams will never post 10 sacks doesn't mean he isn't awesome. Merriman will get his sacks (probably not 17) but he will get some. As long as the defense keeps winning, I say... keep doing what you are doing.

Third... yesterday was not one of the biggest games of the season, we will look back and realize that it was THE biggest game this season.

Fourth... I agree that somebody needs to light a fire under Merriman. I would like to see him play "lights out" too.

Fifth... The 5-1 team was not as good as the record showed. The teams the Bills beat were all below 500 by the end of the year (with the exception of San Diego). I guarantee you that Oakland and New England both finish above 500. This year is different... our team is better. No smoke and mirrors, as long as key people stay healthy (Fitz, Jackson)... we will not finish with a losing record. You can take that to the bank.

Sixth... if Brady had not thrown 4 interceptions we probably would have lost... yes. But it wouldn't have been a blow out. You could have argued that it would have been a blow out the other way had Fitz not thrown two interceptions.

So when is the next game they'll play a passing combination like Brady/Welker? When's the next time they'll play a running game as good as Oakland's?

Perspective is understanding that NFL matchups change from week-to-week so strategy also changes. Perspective is understanding that some players are so good that you cannot completely stop them. Perspective is also understanding that just because a team doesn't win like you think they should, doesn't mean that the team isn't good.

If Dalton and Green look as good as Brady and Welker next week, I'll share your concern.

I didnt say our team wasn't good. you guys are too sensitive its ridiculous

He went to the locker room during the game and came back to play. I'm convinced his shoulder injury is actually more serious than anyone is letting on. I keep feeling it is similar to andre Davis last year who kept gutting it out with A shoulder no one really knew the full seriousness of until he was put on ir with a torn labrum - i' m hoping it doesn't come to that, but there's no way you can play your best with a seriously bad shoulder

Sadly, I think this is the case as well.

Merriman missed 2 out of the last 3 seasons with serious injuries and this past offseason couldn't work with team trainers due to the lockout. Not saying he is going to be lights out again BUT I think he will be more effective as the year goes on he needs to get his legs under him.

In his current form through three games Merriman is a decent to below average 3-4 rush OLB. He isn't a difference maker but he does decent at controlling the edge against the run and gets pressure a few times a game.

I suspect once he gets more play and manages his legs better he will improve as far as his pass rush goes.

Excellent post. Can't agree more about matchups. Football is all about exploiting matchups. Bottom line is that we won't see a better QB than Brady or a better RB than McFadden the rest of the year.

GO BILLS!!!