Eric Wood

Mikie2times

Usually during a game a player or several players will make plays that don't get recorded in the stat book. Plays that will decide who wins and losses. We noticed Jones knocking the the fade route out of Chris Johnson's hands. That is the type of play I'm referring to. Without that play we lose the game.

Wood made the same type of play and I haven't seen anybody on the forums comment on it. On the final 4th down play Fitz shimmies slightly to his left and ends up releasing the pass maybe 6 inches outside the left hash. Nelson catches it maybe a foot inside the left hash. In the midst of being wide open many people failed to see how close it was from a 38-35 win to a 35-31 loss.

Wood engages the Oakland defender (a very lengthy individual, did not write his name down) directly on the left hash. Wood is shielding the interior of the hash with slightly inside position. As Fitz releases the ball Oakland's defender leaps in the air trying to get directly in the passing lane, a feat he would have easily accomplished if Wood did not make such a solid play. As he leaps Wood sticks him hard in his stomach, it take his legs out from under him, and he drives him into the ground. With the force he applied on that block Oakland's defender missed knocking the ball down by about 6 inches. If he doesn't finish that block the way he did and with the force applied the Raiders win.

Usually during a game a player or several players will make plays that don't get recorded in the stat book. Plays that will decide who wins and losses. We noticed Jones knocking the the fade route out of Chris Johnson's hands. That is the type of play I'm referring to. Without that play we lose the game.

Wood made the same type of play and I haven't seen anybody on the forums comment on it. On the final 4th down play Fitz shimmies slightly to his left and ends up releasing the pass maybe 6 inches outside the left hash. Nelson catches it maybe a foot inside the left hash. In the midst of being wide open many people failed to see how close it was from a 38-35 win to a 35-31 loss.

Wood engages the Oakland defender (a very lengthy individual, did not write his name down) directly on the left hash. Wood is shielding the interior of the hash with slightly inside position. As Fitz releases the ball Oakland's defender leaps in the air trying to get directly in the passing lane, a feat he would have easily accomplished if Wood did not make such a solid play. As he leaps Wood sticks him hard in his stomach, it take his legs out from under him, and he drives him into the ground. With the force he applied on that block Oakland's defender missed knocking the ball down by about 6 inches. If he doesn't finish that block the way he did and with the force applied the Raiders win.

Good catch. I saw that too. Wood/Levitre both had monster games.

Anybody have a video link so i can see this? all i remember was a huge block from levitre that sprung freddy pretty late in the game for 25yrds on a pull to the right side of the field

No link, I slow motioned half the NFL replay. Just wanted to see how individual players were doing regarding assignments. I watched that final play about 6 times in super slow. It was that close, and you can tell the Oakland defender had disengaged his rush, he became aware Fitz was releasing and he was trying like hell to get inside the hash. He leaps forward in effort to get the extra six inches to a foot he needed, in the midst of it Wood just drive block him like OL are taught on a jumping DL right in the gut. His legs cut out from under him as he losses balance and Wood plants him into the ground. The pass was 100% low enough to have been tipped. Saw it from 3 angles. Hell of a play by Wood which is why I wanted to bring it up. I'm certain it would have been deflected if it weren't for his effort.

Kent Hull made a name for himself in Buffalo. It is time to bring that Kent Hull-like play back to Buffalo. Here's to THAT out of Eric Wood! :thumbsup:

This is a great point-out.

There is a very good view of this in the Fitz mic'd up segment: http://www.nfl.com/v...yan-Fitzpatrick

One can clearly see the leap, and Wood body-slamming the guy.

Usually the only time most fans notice o linemen is for the wrong reasons. After being bashed repeatedly in preseason (preseason once again shows it means nothing), the o line as a whole has stepped up their game. And Wood is the leader of that group that is young and filled with potential.