Eric Wood

Mikie2times

Usually during a game a player or several players will make plays that don't get recorded in the stat book. Plays that will decide who wins and losses. We noticed Jones knocking the the fade route out of Chris Johnson's hands. That is the type of play I'm referring to. Without that play we lose the game.

Wood made the same type of play and I haven't seen anybody on the forums comment on it. On the final 4th down play Fitz shimmies slightly to his left and ends up releasing the pass maybe 6 inches outside the left hash. Nelson catches it maybe a foot inside the left hash. In the midst of being wide open many people failed to see how close it was from a 38-35 win to a 35-31 loss.

Wood engages the Oakland defender (a very lengthy individual, did not write his name down) directly on the left hash. Wood is shielding the interior of the hash with slightly inside position. As Fitz releases the ball Oakland's defender leaps in the air trying to get directly in the passing lane, a feat he would have easily accomplished if Wood did not make such a solid play. As he leaps Wood sticks him hard in his stomach, it take his legs out from under him, and he drives him into the ground. With the force he applied on that block Oakland's defender missed knocking the ball down by about 6 inches. If he doesn't finish that block the way he did and with the force applied the Raiders win.

That's why they say this game is a game of inches... And also they say any given Sunday... And this Sunday we got a shot at 3-0... "expect to win" GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!

Great job of pointing that out. I watched it several times on replays and pointed it out to my son. Very cool. Depending on the angle of the replay you watch, Henderson appears to come within INCHES of tipping the pass so it's very likely Wood's block was decisive in the victory.

What a great football player Eric Wood is turning out to be.

This is a great point-out.

There is a very good view of this in the Fitz mic'd up segment: http://www.nfl.com/v...yan-Fitzpatrick

One can clearly see the leap, and Wood body-slamming the guy.

Anyone doubting that we have a leader at quarterback??? Heck, with him as the quarterback I would think any player would want to be out there on the field ... what a difference from the other collection of fools we have had since Kelly retired.

Great post OP. I, admittedly, was a little disheartened watching the O-lines play and the surrounding drama in preseason. Now that I have had a chance to see two strong games from this group, I am more than impressed. Urbik will be missed, but Rhinehart is a more-than-capable replacement. Wood and Levitre are consistently making strong plays, Bell has been at his best and Pears hasn't been anything short of consistent and strong. So odd that I expected the defense to be our strength this year.....