Stevie Johnson on WGR

DaveinElma

Please stop this nonsense and immediately pay homage to Simon's irrefutable point that Lee Evans is such a high-impact player that he has fundamentally altered the PIT-BAL matchup...

Too bad for BAL that it didn't alter the BAL-TEN rivalry.

Please stop this nonsense and immediately pay homage to Simon's irrefutable point that Lee Evans is such a high-impact player that he has fundamentally altered the PIT-BAL matchup, one of the NFL's fiercest ongoing division rivalries, by his mere presence on the field. This is a fact and if you dare to believe otherwise, you know little about football.

:worthy:

HAHAHAHAHA!

Gailey today said one thing people don't normally see that helps the team greatly is one one player is fast and the other team uses two of their defenders on them because they worry about the speed. Hmmmm... He, of course, was talking about the game winning play when Spiller was in and two Raiders went with Spiller on the outside because they worried about his speed. That probably never happens with WRs though, unless, of course, you watch the games.

Gailey today said one thing people don't normally see that helps the team greatly is one one player is fast and the other team uses two of their defenders on them because they worry about the speed. Hmmmm... He, of course, was talking about the game winning play when Spiller was in and two Raiders went with Spiller on the outside because they worried about his speed. That probably never happens with WRs though, unless, of course, you watch the games.

Right.

... because if Fred Jackson was in there instead of CJ Spiller, would the Raiders have reacted differently? It was a well-designed play that cleared the defenders to the sideline opening up the middle of the field.

That said, CJ Spiller played great.

Some people in the Evans camp said that Stevie would be double covered more and some said that there would just be an extra safety covering assorted Bills and closer to the LOS because they didn't have to worry about downfield throws and putting two people on Evans. That's exactly what's happening.

The Bills, however, are not missing Evans at all right now because Gailey and Fitz are on a roll, and SJ, Nelson and Chandler are catching very well thrown balls on very well designed passes. It would be awesome for that to continue.

The Bills are hardly ever wide open though, and they haven't stretched the field to make it so. That's a simple fact. They throw very quick passes into very tight spots with all kinds of defenders all over them. It's been huge fun to watch.

i was watching some coaches film on nfl gamepass and i was actually surprised how open some of our guys are. for instance, v. KC on johnson's 27 yard catch, chandler was wide open cross the middle about ten yards down. fitz just decided to go for it and let johnson win the ball. fitz seems to trust johnson to win the one on one every time and throws into some pretty decent coverage.

If they want speed at WR, they can put Spiller there. He's the same size as Evans, has good hands, but is faster.

Bottom line. Lee Evans isn't that sorely missed and not nearly as much as many advocated.

Other bottom line is Lee Evans is contributing nothing to the Ravens. Lee quit three years ago and now cannot find a way back. Now they are going to bench Lee for a "lingering ankle" issue. It's a lingering no effort issue if you ask me.

Chan the Man often spoke about Lee not running routes like he wanted and said he had to work on those routes. I think Chan politley said that Lee is a good receiver justnot what he wants on his team. One mans garbage is anothers gold type thing. Nothing wrong with Lee but Chan wants guys not to run straight but move around I took from all the Chan comments. I think Chan has told and worked with Fitz on how to place the ball and let the receivers be at a spot instead of hitting an open man. Fitz being the "smartest pro athlete" (that was put out on ESPN) worked on that hence his stats are up. Looking at Chan's history he doesnt need a payton or Brady, but needs a qb that can be quick and read a head. Great chemistry in the making, and Chan picked his team around Fitz in my opinion. Last year he was getting to know who and what he had. He gave everyone a chance and now he has his team and set up.

BAD THINGS MAN BAAAAD THINGS... old commercial youngsters

If they want speed at WR, they can put Spiller there. He's the same size as Evans, has good hands, but is faster.

Just having speed doesn't help on deep passes. Spiller can go deep, and catch the ball. If he catches a couple then it will worry teams. Right now they worry about his speed on the edges because they have seen him do it. Last year he made a spectacular catch on a deep ball. I wanted them to throw it deep to him a lot as soon as they drafted him, and thought Chan would, and then he didn't. If he can go deep and catch it a couple times, yes, that would make a world of difference.

I really don't see how anyone can seriously argue that the defenses against us are not tighter in coverage. Just watch the replays. The teams don't have a safety watching Donald Jones. Where do you think that safety is?

There are a lot of stubborn people on this board -- on BOTH sides of the Lee Evans debate.

I don't even understand why there's a debate. Evans was a good player during his Bills career.

Was he a top tier #1WR? No.

Did the team improve itself immediately by removing a good player from it's roster? No. Pretty sure everybody who isn't totally blind by trying to prove themselves right would admit that the Bills could certainly use another quality WR right about now.

Did they improve themselves long term by removing him? Unknown - let's see who they draft with the 4 next year and how his career pans out.

Pretty simple really.

Edited by MDH