Expect the Bills to draft 2 DB's next year

Jerry Jabber

With McGee's health issues & age, plus McKelvin's inconsistent play, I wouldn't doubt if Nix & Co draft a couple DB's in the draft next year. The Raiders really exploited McKelvin today as Campbell constantly threw towards him and Moore ate up the secondary for 140+ yards today. At this point, I would rather see more of Searcy than McKelvin.

Besides the bad secondary play today, I was very happy to see the Bills come from behind and win a close game (something they weren't able to do last year).

Searcy plays safety and if Wilson plays as badly as he did today Searcy might get a shot.

Nobody really knows how well or poorly McKelvin did on the plays that didn't come his way, but he just looks like he will never be a quality starting DB. Florence didn't exactly look great either. Williams has been bad in coverage as well. Pass rush makes DB's look awfully good at times.

Best available pass rusher, offensive lineman and a couple of DB's in the first 3-4 rounds...

With McGee's health issues & age, plus McKelvin's inconsistent play, I wouldn't doubt if Nix & Co draft a couple DB's in the draft next year. The Raiders really exploited McKelvin today as Campbell constantly threw towards him and Moore ate up the secondary for 140+ yards today. At this point, I would rather see more of Searcy than McKelvin.

Besides the bad secondary play today, I was very happy to see the Bills come from behind and win a close game (something they weren't able to do last year).

McKelvin should wanna walk around like this ! :bag: Aaron Williams getting a start sounds like a good idea !!! :thumbsup:

Edited by T Flynn

I guess Aaron Williams in the 2nd wasn't as bad as a lot of us thought it was! Makes me think Buddy knows what he's doing.

Another thing I love about the FO is they aren't afraid to start UDFAs and late round picks over higher drafted players. Normally I'd be pessimistic and say "yeah, but that's cause our team is so bad, we start guys off the street", but players like Jones are actually being effective against other teams. This team has a lot of upside.

Most teams draft DBs high in the draft.

It is a critical position and you need 4 good ones.

They drafted Williams last year in round 2 and many people here went bonkers. I figured he was good insurance for the aging McGee and the lunk-headed McKelvin.

Too bad McGee cannot stay healthy. He has been a very good player for us.

I guess Aaron Williams in the 2nd wasn't as bad as a lot of us thought it was! Makes me think Buddy knows what he's doing.

Another thing I love about the FO is they aren't afraid to start UDFAs and late round picks over higher drafted players. Normally I'd be pessimistic and say "yeah, but that's cause our team is so bad, we start guys off the street", but players like Jones are actually being effective against other teams. This team has a lot of upside.

True. Remember that the draft used to go 12 rounds years ago. There are good players available after round 7. Some of them just need time.

Nelson and Jones are so much better than countless recievers that we used draft picks on.

I don't know this either way, but I'd imagine that the Bills coaches didn't have nearly as much problem with McKelvins play as a lot of fans seem to. Myself, i don't think he was bad at all. He didn't make plays he might have, but for the most part, the QB and WR made fabulous plays and when that happens it's extremely hard to stop.

With McGee's health issues & age, plus McKelvin's inconsistent play, I wouldn't doubt if Nix & Co draft a couple DB's in the draft next year.

Well, considering we drafted a couple DBs this year (and one of them saved our bacon in the final seconds), I think it's a safe bet we will do it again.

Seriously I hope one of our knowledgeable posters will do an in-depth analysis of what happened. I kind of lean towards Campbell having so much time to throw, it's really not fair to put it all on the safeties. But they have to get some burn, too, that's why they make the big bucks.

And that simply begs the question of why did Campbell have time to dial up Dominos in the backfield one play, take delivery the 2nd play, and eat a slice on the third.

I assume we all like Searcy as a pick as well, this evening?

Searcy plays safety and if Wilson plays as badly as he did today Searcy might get a shot.

Nobody really knows how well or poorly McKelvin did on the plays that didn't come his way, but he just looks like he will never be a quality starting DB. Florence didn't exactly look great either. Williams has been bad in coverage as well. Pass rush makes DB's look awfully good at times.

Best available pass rusher, offensive lineman and a couple of DB's in the first 3-4 rounds...

Searcy really did go up and get that ball, Wilson was right there but didn't make the play on the ball as well as Searcy did. Hopefully Searcy is learning the defense and he'll become a keeper.

Jones made two bigs plays at crunch time. that is big. Plus Nelson has two pretty much walkoff game winning TD catches on his resume already.

They drafted Williams last year in round 2 and many people here went bonkers. I figured he was good insurance for the aging McGee and the lunk-headed McKelvin.

I was one of them, and I admit I was wrong about it. My main gripe was taking one that high, glad we did take Williams though.

Best case scenario, I think, is that Aaron Williams breaks out by the end of the year, and we can comfortably start Florence and Williams next year. McKelvin could hang on or another year as a nickelback, and that'd be enough to keep CB from being a critical need. SS is still a bit of a question mark, too, unfortunately, even though I like George Wilson and Brian Scott. I'd love to have the flexibility to wait until the 2nd round to address that need (we could dive into the UFA pool next year too, especially for the safety), but it's plausible the best choice for us is a DB in the first round. It's a relief, at least, that it won't feel like we're blowing off another huge need with improving play from the QB and the lines.

I wouldn't mind drafting a DB in the first round. I can't identify any other position we need more. Just think of all the Raider receivers that sat out on Sunday. Would we have won this game if they were all healthy? True, Fitz still would have carved them up, but their offense may have been on the field longer if their receivers were all healthy. I guess the true test is next week.

I don't know this either way, but I'd imagine that the Bills coaches didn't have nearly as much problem with McKelvins play as a lot of fans seem to. Myself, i don't think he was bad at all. He didn't make plays he might have, but for the most part, the QB and WR made fabulous plays and when that happens it's extremely hard to stop.

how can you possibly think he wasnt bad at all when he got toasted by a 5th round rookie all game long?

it would be different if it was Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson but not a 5th round rookie

McKelvin is nothing more then a nickel slot CB at best

I thought on a couple of the big gainers - McKelvin was actually draped all over the receiver - on a slightly less perfectly thrown ball he would have come up with the pick. And, he's a good teammate and tackler. I think the guy is a gamer, and everyone here on the board is too hard on him. Now, as far as running that kick out of the end zone against the Pats - that's another story haha...

I don't want to make any excuses for the secondary but the Bills had 8 in the box on every early down snap. The Raiders used screens & play fakes alot. Its hard to play one on one as a corner and play the screen play which the Raiders used effectively. As a safety you have to keep on eye on Mcfadden until you actually see the ball leaving Campbell's hands. I think thats why G.Wilson was a split second late on the last Raiders TD.

All in all the Defense was in a no win situation. The Raiders are going to be a really good team this season because they can control the whole game with their run game. This was a tough one for the defense so i'm going to give them a pass. Mcfadden and his o-line are so dangerous that they force you to stack against the run and play the screen plays all at once. This puts corners one on one, makes you vulnerable to play fakes, and kills any effective pass rush.

With all those things going against the D we were still able to find a way to win. Thats amazing to me.