Johnson not responsible for Berry's torn ACL

voodoo poonani

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to article

Safety Eric Berry plants his leg in the open field then falls over.

That's what I have been saying since Sunday...Berry didn't leave the game until the Chiefs next defensive series, the series after SJ's supposed dirty block...so, he sat on the bench for at least a few minutes after that play (about 5 plays in total) then went out, and injured himself, not touched at all, by any Bill.

That's what I have been saying since Sunday...Berry didn't leave the game until the Chiefs next defensive series, the series after SJ's supposed dirty block...so, he sat on the bench for at least a few minutes after that play (about 5 plays in total) then went out, and injured himself, not touched at all, by any Bill.

You and me both, Buftex. And even if Johnson's hit had somehow injured Berry's knee, it would be entirely on the Chiefs' medical staff for letting him go back in the game. If any instability in the knee was present after Stevie's hit, it would have been easily detectable by the medical staff, especially an injured ACL. A simple palpation determines that.

GO BILLS!!!

Link to article

Safety Eric Berry plants his leg in the open field then falls over.

For the sake of honesty - odds are he went out on an injured leg, and that just finishedwhatever was holding together off. I would say there's a difference between " it's stevies fault" and "the hit sustained led to the injury"

Stevie hitting his knee- a completely clean play- very likely sent the process in motion though. It was the type of play you love to see, but hate to see result in an injury. No fingers pointed.

Edited by NoSaint

Its just aggravating to see how many Chiefs fans are blinded by rage. In the comments section of the article they all vigorously dispute the conclusions of the article.

To me, Berry got up and even began playing again after the hit. So the ACL obviously wasn't gone until later. Then there's the possibility that the knee was slightly injured by SJ's hit, which contributed to the ACL later. If thats the case then first, people get small injuries from legals (non-dirty) plays all the time, as would be the case here. Second, blame for the ACL should go straight to KC's medical staff for allowing him to go back in.

But it was on the next defensive play that Berry was in for. Johnson blocked Berry, he went off with a knee injury but tried to play on it, it ended up being a torn ACL. The whole knee gave out on his first play back in.

Johnson tore Berry's ACL. He's, with no reason to, apologized for it. I don't understand what the big deal is that he is the one who did it?

For the sake of honesty - odds are he went out on an injured leg, and that just finishedwhatever was holding together off. I would say there's a difference between " it's stevies fault" and "the hit sustained led to the injury"

Stevie hitting his knee- a completely clean play- very likely sent the process in motion though. It was the type of play you love to see, but hate to see result in an injury. No fingers pointed.

I am already arguing with Mike Florio at PFT about this, if his ACL was torn when Stevie Johnson hit him, he would not be able to stand let alone walk/run. Anyone who has had this injury can tell you. The ACL "popped" when Berry planted his leg to cut back to the ball, a non-contact injury I have seen happen in regular life as well as sports.

I just get a kick out of how most of this articles reference Johnson's hit and go video here, and then link to the same crappy gif done by a Chief's fan. That's like the 2 separate 3 second clips posted on youtube about it, once again by a Chiefs fan.

The first one you barely see the hit at the very top of the screen, but what you can tell is that Jackson is cutting the ball back up towards that area, so if Johnson hadn't done anything about Berry he would of gotten chewed out because Berry (or the closing LB) would of made the play. Johnson handled his responsibility.

The second one it's more in frame, but still in the upper right corner. But in this one, the clearest view of it(wondering why this isn't what the articles link to) you can see Jackson emerging from the pile looking at the end zone. You can also clearly see the hit and to me it looks more like his shoulder pad makes contact more on Berry's calf. It's just the camera angle that actually makes it look worse. the other thing that makes it look bad is that AFTER Stevie starts the cut block Berry starts to pull up so Stevie actually overshoots him.

All the articles going to that crappy gif just serve to the point of trying to make Johnson look bad and create controversy.

Edited by tjprime

Who cares? It was a legal block. If Johnson hadn't made the block and Berry influenced the play, Chan would have (or at least should have) chewed him out.

Berry got taken out because he didn't have his head on a swivel.

KC fans sound like a bunch of wusses. Barry needs to keep his head up. Bet he dosen't do that again. I like agressive WR's. They should bring the physical game to the D and make it tough on them also. WR's are suppossed to be hitting defensive backs. Pansy D-backs can complain all they want, but I love watching players like Ward and hopefully Johnson light them up on clean hits.

But it was on the next defensive play that Berry was in for. Johnson blocked Berry, he went off with a knee injury but tried to play on it, it ended up being a torn ACL. The whole knee gave out on his first play back in.

Johnson tore Berry's ACL. He's, with no reason to, apologized for it. I don't understand what the big deal is that he is the one who did it?

Johnson did not tear Berry's ACL.

I am already arguing with Mike Florio at PFT about this, if his ACL was torn when Stevie Johnson hit him, he would not be able to stand let alone walk/run. Anyone who has had this injury can tell you. The ACL "popped" when Berry planted his leg to cut back to the ball, a non-contact injury I have seen happen in regular life as well as sports.

I tore my ACL in 2004 and was able to walk on it, VERY gingerly, after the initial jolt and rolling around for 30 seconds or so uttering lots of profanity, but I am certainly not a professional athlete.

It is possible the knee was injured on the legal block and weakened in a way that the subsequent cut allowed the ACL tear to occur. I'd be shocked if he could move that well on a freshly torn ACL rigth before he makes his cut. I have spoken with a lot of other ACL tear guys as I went through mine and the common denominator was usually tired or weakened quads due to lack of "game shape" for the non contact ones.

NFL really needs to get smart on how to protect players knees as the ACL tear is all too common of a season ender. Perhaps some mandatory innovative new knee brace?

This is also where the Chiefs fans need to focus their concern about Berry's injury. The NFL could mandate protection, mandate playing surface requirements and/or prohibit cut blocks downfield. Trying to vilify a player for executing a legal play that MAY be tied to an unfortunate outcome is misguided and useless.. .