Another Lee Evans thread......

Simon

Apologies for starting another Evans thread but I thought it might be worth it since a) I'm probably the only dude on this board who actually watched the entire Balt/Pitt game and b)I'm probably the only guy on this board who hasn't missed a single one of those matchups in years since it's my favorite rivalry right now.

Here's the truth of the matter; Lee Evans has significantly altered the entire dynamic of this division rivalry. And I'd guess that these 2 games (and sometimes 3) are the biggest reason they brought him to Baltimore.

I don't care about math and/or whether he put up a single statistic. This game had Evans fingerprints on it right from the get-go. Do you know why Boldin was singled on the first TD vs a weak corner who'd been out all preseason? Because the Stillers rolled their coverage over at Evans. It's right there on the film if you want to see it. Did you know that Baltimore has repeatedly struggled to get their TE's and RB's involved in the passing game against the Stillers, and for many, many years now? Yet on Sunday they found enough space for these guys to catch about a dozen balls for 150+ yards. There were places all over the field where the Ravens have never been able to find space against Pittsburgh(flats and seams), yet now those places are suddenly vacant of defenders. I don't believe for a second that this is just a co-incidence.

For the first time in years, the Ravens have the ability to stretch the field in a big way. And suddenly they have more space to work with all over the field. If y'all think that Evans isn't a significant factor in this new equation, I'd have to say you're badly mistaken on that point.

P.S. This post is not intended to speculate on what Evans' may have done if he was still in Buffalo, or start tangents on why the Bills traded him. Just wanted to bring some light to the ongoing evolution of what I think is a really fascinating matchup. Doug Whaley is taking some grief from his old buddies in Pittsburgh right now because he played a part in altering the balance of power in this rivalry. But don't take any of that guff, Fresh! Give it right back to 'em with both barrels!!!

Edited by Simon

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The legend of Lee Evans never dies....

It's nice when your defense gets 7 turnovers isn't it? Surely that can't change the dynamic of the game.

So I take it that you watched this game as closely as you've watched the previous dozen times they played? No?

Then take your agenda elsewhere.

Apologies for starting another Evans thread but I thought it might be worth it since a) I'm probably the only dude on this board who actually watched the entire Balt/Pitt game and b)I'm probably the only guy on this board who hasn't missed a single one of those matchups in years since it's my favorite rivalry right now.

Here's the truth of the matter; Lee Evans has significantly altered the entire dynamic of this division rivalry. And I'd guess that these 2 games (and sometimes 3) are the biggest reason they brought him to Baltimore.

I don't care about math and/or whether he put up a single statistic. This game had Evans fingerprints on it right from the get-go. Do you know why Boldin was singled on the first TD vs a weak corner who'd been out all preseason? Because the Stillers rolled their coverage over at Evans. It's right there on the film if you want to see it. Did you know that Baltimore has repeatedly struggled to get their TE's and RB's involved in the passing game against the Stillers, and for many, many years now? Yet on Sunday they found enough space for these guys to catch about a dozen balls for 150+ yards. There were places all over the field where the Ravens have never been able to find space against Pittsburgh(flats and seams), yet now those places are suddenly vacant of defenders. I don't believe for a second that this is just a co-incidence.

For the first time in years, the Ravens have the ability to stretch the field in a big way. And suddenly they have more space to work with all over the field. If y'all think that Evans isn't a significant factor in this new equation, I'd have to say you're badly mistaken on that point.

You were not the only one that watched that game for almost the entire thing. I was at a sports bar and DirecTV and all of its infinite wisdom decided it would be smart to do the download for the NFL package update (that was supposed to have been done a week earlier) on the morning of kickoff Sunday. Most of America (at least on the commercial packages bars subscribe to) had no package until sometime into the 3rd quarter. So, the local game on was Eagles/Rams and Balt/Pitt...add into that 2 of my friends are big Steeler fans (making me a Ravens fan be default for that game) and the fact I have Rice and Evans on fantasy teams, it made me very interested in the game.

Everything you said is 100% spot on. I was saying the very same thing and quickly pointed out to my Steeler freinds how they rolled to double Evans on that first Boldin TD making the one on one possible and the TD. Not to mention, Evans presence really opened up the run game for Rice because they couldn't bring in run support and had to account for Evans deep.

Evans is going to be a huge presence on that team, made a massive impact on that game, and seriously puts Balt as a major SB contender. Boldin, Dickson, Rice, and Flacco are all loving having him on the field. Wait a couple of weeks, and when they get their timing down his impact is going to be even greater. Haters forget, he has only had about 2 and half weeks of practice with the team as the last week and a half of preseason he was in a walking boot.

Nice post Simon...

Edited by Alphadawg7

So I take it that you watched this game as closely as you've watched the previous dozen times they played? No?

Then take your agenda elsewhere.

Where's the agenda? I just disagree with what you are saying. I don't count how many times I have watched their games but if they are on and the Bills are not playing at that exact timeslot I will watch them play.

Where's the agenda?

You don't like Evans and have said so on more than one occasion. This thread is about the reality of how Evans affects a great rivalry, not about anybody's personal likes and dislikes.

I'd prefer to keep it that way.

P.S. This post is not intended to speculate on what Evans' may have done if he was still in Buffalo, or start tangents on why the Bills traded him. Just wanted to bring some light to the ongoing evolution of what I think is a really fascinating matchup. Doug Whaley is taking some grief from his old buddies in Pittsburgh right now because he played a part in altering the balance of power in this rivalry. But don't take any of that guff, Fresh! Give it right back to 'em with both barrels!!!

As someone who didn't see the Ravens/Steelers game, I appreciate your posting this analysis of Evans' contribution. Thanks. :thumbsup:

And this is why I drafted Boldin in my fantasy league....

Where's the agenda? I just disagree with what you are saying. I don't count how many times I have watched their games but if they are on and the Bills are not playing at that exact timeslot I will watch them play.

pretty sure he was saying that this rivalry traditionally has a lot of turnovers. Additionally, Balt. having a deep threat for the first time loosens up the rest of the field because it pulls 1 corner and the attention of the safety away from the line making running plays and underneath passes more successful.

I am with you I think, about lee's value to our Team. We did not need him any more, but that doesn't make the OP wrong about his value to Balt.

I flipped over to that game occasionally, and saw Flacco target Evans a few times but never connect.

I don't dispute that Evans' presence may have opened up the field for other guys, but at some point if you consider yourself an elite or even very good receiver, you need to do more than be a decoy.

I like Evans, but #1 WR's get open and catch balls, even when they're double covered.

Simon,

Living in Pittsburgh for the past decade, I have watched every game of the Ravens-Steelers rivalry.

Lee may have helped the Ravens stretch the field and move coverage away from the likes of Boldin and Ray Rice and give them the room to make plays. However, teams don't sign a #1/#2 WRs to be just decoys. They expect them to catch balls thrown towards them. Lee dropped balls.

BTW, You are giving too much credit to Lee for this big win for the Ravens. The big reason the Ravens won was because they rushed for 175+ yards against an AGING Steelers defense and the Ravens defense created 7 turnovers. The Ravens turned the Steelers offense to one dimensional and then harassed Ben Rothelisberger..

Remember the Ravens took a 3 TD lead into half time last season too, only for Flacco to make mental mistakes and throw away that game.

Lee is definitely a great addition to that team (and for Lee himself), but he was not the big reason for their win on Sunday.

Simon,

Living in Pittsburgh for the past decade, I have watched every game of the Ravens-Steelers rivalry.

Lee may have helped the Ravens stretch the field and move coverage away from the likes of Boldin and Ray Rice and give them the room to make plays. However, teams don't sign a #1/#2 WRs to be just decoys. They expect them to catch balls thrown towards them. Lee dropped balls.

Lee Evans didn't drop one pass. I just watched all of the plays they targeted him. No drops at all. On one pass, he was clearly interfered with, which wasn't called, and even the announcers said it was interference. But there wasn't one drop.

Thanks for the thread, Simon. I couldn't have told you that happened without seeing it, but I would have bet on it without seeing it. It happened on the Bills in every game last year.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Lee Evans didn't drop one pass. I just watched all of the plays they targeted him. No drops at all. On one pass, he was clearly interfered with, which wasn't called, and even the announcers said it was interference. But there wasn't one drop.

Thanks for the thread, Simon. I couldn't have told you that happened without seeing it, but I would have bet on it without seeing it. It happened on the Bills in every game last year.

Yea - I watched in passing as my "side game" and saw 2 of the 4 targets. Didn't notice these 4 drops that keep getting referenced either.

I believe that the other receivers that actually caught the football had more impact on the game than Evans who dropped all four thrown to him. Boldin used to play with a guy named Fitzgerald. They had an impact on the way their team performed because Fitzgerald actually catches the football.

I flipped over to that game occasionally, and saw Flacco target Evans a few times but never connect.

I don't dispute that Evans' presence may have opened up the field for other guys, but at some point if you consider yourself an elite or even very good receiver, you need to do more than be a decoy.

I like Evans, but #1 WR's get open and catch balls, even when they're double covered.

#1 recievers catch balls.....end of story......lee was a speed guy.....who you all love because the bills have been such a joke the last few years......2 catches for 80 yards every 3rd week really got yall's rocks off.....I for one am all in on the David Nelson/Stevie Johnson collabo.....players make plays.......lets move on...Nelson catches balls...evans does not...Go Bills eff the Ravens anyways

If only there was some standard between bum and elite- reading this board I don't think it exists. On the right team, in the right system lee can be very valuable without being a 100 catch 1500 yard guy. Lee, even if he's #2 or #3 on that team might be the missing piece for a superbowl run. Seems valuable even if not elite.

He got shut out in one game. 3 weeks after joining a new team. While injured.

Not to your post jr but a general note: A poster comes here and recognizes that despite those factors that he was still double teamed much of the game, and he's the crazy one for saying he was valuable outside the stat line? I like this board less and less every week it seems.

Sorry Simon, take your seemingly informed opinion elsewhere, it isnt welcome here. You'll just be jumped on by people that didn't even watch the game.

Edited by NoSaint

I remember seeing a statistic that Evans had one of the best ratios of caught passes/drops in the league. Granted that was for last season or the season before, but I was still impressed.

I agree with those who say Evans hasn't played like a #1 WR is supposed to play. But he's still a very good deep threat--a point which Simon's thread has reinforced. Did he live up to his draft position? Probably not. Does he help stretch the field and keep defenses from selling out to stop the short stuff? He certainly does. The Atlanta Falcons traded away a first round pick for Peerless Price so that he could do these things for them, and Evans is a better WR than Price ever was.

Speaking of which . . . I think the Bills got shortchanged by only getting a fourth round pick for Evans. In my opinion a second round pick would have been about the right price.

I believe that the other receivers that actually caught the football had more impact on the game than Evans who dropped all four thrown to him.

Um... as stated, he didn't drop any passes. Two weren't within ten feet of him. Yao Ming on a ladder would not have touched either of those. One he jumped as high as he could and got one hand on a ball that was well out of bounds. Zero chance. The fourth was a two yard pass that Ike Taylor went over his back, interfered with him and knocked the ball away before it even got to Evans. No one who saw those four passes, even if you hated him, would call any one of them a drop. He had no chance at a catch on any of the four of them.