How does the Buffalo media whiff so bad on the Bills?

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be honest here: there was no one on this board (with the exception of a few people who I believed were joking) who thought that the Bills would blow out KC let alone win.

Speak for yourself. I picked Buffalo in all my survivor pools. Was pretty sure they would win. Blowout, no, didn't expect it, but it was a nice way to win!

I thought the heavy betting action on the Bills was a quirky thing that might've warranted some attention, though that "story" picked up a lot of momentum late.

At multiple locations the Chiefs opened up around -6 and closed at -3.5, which is not exactly a small move for an average NFL game.

Aside from a short time a little while back when the Bills were a popular week-in/week-out "under" play, they haven't exactly been a public/marquee team for a long time. Yet, this week, a lot of folks either saw something in the Bills they liked, or something in the Chiefs they really hated.

I am sure that most (with the exception of guys like Sully who play the bad cop) of the local media err on the side of caution so as not to be known as homer's by the locals, and the same goes for those with any national recognition (like Gaughan).

Even though I was one of the optimist here, it was an educated guess. While I like what I saw, I would not start crowing that I was right (except for my survivor pool guess) until they show consistency. I have them pegged for 3-1 in the first 4 games. I'll reserve serious judgment until we've seen that somewhat larger body of work...

A great win!

At the risk of starting another conflagration, I really want to know what the Buffalo sports media does when they are supposedly covering the team? Maybe John Wawrow could tell us.

I can understand the national media has 31 other teams to cover and the Bills have been such an afterthought that few if any would bother to take a close look at us. But how do reporters, who's job it is to cover camp and practices, talk to players and coaches, etc, be so dead wrong on this team's prospects going into the season? Seriously, if all of you are so "shocked" by what you saw, what the f**k do you do all day?

I do have a theory. Things have been so bad with the Bills the last 11 years that most of the press, thinking they are being unbiased, dismiss any good signs out of hand as being a mirage. And with the head gremlin Jerry Sullivan leading the charge, all the other reporters fall in line behind him.

This is the only scenario I can imagine because the Bills didn't just expose the KC Chiefs today, they exposed the Buffalo News and WGR for short-changing local sports fans.

PTR

It was a great way to start the season, but it was only ONE game. If the Buffalo media were the only ones who thought the Bills were/are going to be bad, it would give reason to attack them, but the whole country, including most Bills fans have the same opinion. I, like every other Bills fan hopes the play from yesterday continues, but in the back of my mind, I am still apprehensive. Remember a few years ago when the Bills were the last undefeated team left in the entire NFL at 4-0, remember how that season turned out? Did they look good, heck yes, did K.C. do anything to help themselves? Heck No. Remember about 7-8 years ago when the Bills blew out the eventual Super Bowl Champion Patriots on opening day? How did that season turn out? I hope they only get better, but don't quit your job to take one at the stadium dusting off the Bills' trophy case just yet. Go Bills!

Let's be honest here: there was no one on this board (with the exception of a few people who I believed were joking) who thought that the Bills would blow out KC let alone win.

I thought they had about a 40-50% chance of winning the game, anyone who says they honestly thought the Bills going to blow the Chiefs out in one of the toughest stadiums to play in are lying right through their teeth.

It was a great way to start the season, but it was only ONE game. If the Buffalo media were the only ones who thought the Bills were/are going to be bad, it would give reason to attack them, but the whole country, including most Bills fans have the same opinion. I, like every other Bills fan hopes the play from yesterday continues, but in the back of my mind, I am still apprehensive. Remember a few years ago when the Bills were the last undefeated team left in the entire NFL at 4-0, remember how that season turned out? Did they look good, heck yes, did K.C. do anything to help themselves? Heck No. Remember about 7-8 years ago when the Bills blew out the eventual Super Bowl Champion Patriots on opening day? How did that season turn out? I hope they only get better, but don't quit your job to take one at the stadium dusting off the Bills' trophy case just yet. Go Bills!

I thought they had about a 40-50% chance of winning the game, anyone who says they honestly thought the Bills going to blow the Chiefs out in one of the toughest stadiums to play in are lying right through their teeth.

"Hi Schopp, this is Bob from Depew. I have a comment, and a question, then I'll hang up and listen.

"My comment is, I just want to say that if this is how you feel the Monday after a HUGE Bills blowout in a season opener in front of a hostile, sold-out Chiefs' stadium, it must really suck being you.

"And my question is, just how much money did you lose on the game?"

BTW...

link

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

It demonstrates that people in the "media" aren't any more knowledgable than your average fan. They got their jobs because they can write, not because they're able to provide some deeper insightful and analysis on player capabilities. They aren't former players, coaches or scouts nor have they ever held a position with a professional football team. Their job is to write about the team. We want to falsely believe that they provide a higher level in insight.

They may have slightly more information than your average fan but they haven't proven to be any more knowledgable.

I predicted 30-17 Bills win and it's not exactly a blowout it's probably the largest margin on this board that wasn't a Bills homer we win by 50 type of post. In actuality the Bills won by doing just about what I thought thy would do. I expected one more garbage TD by the Chiefs and I didn't expect all the turnovers we got. Especially that first one on the kickoff. Just saying, Im not lying through my teeth and my prediction was about as close to the final score as your gonna see.

Anyone can post a similar post to yours btw and just say, anyone that thought the Bills were doomed, if they lost just to say "I told you so" can come out really easily too. People do tuis to shield themselves. It's easy to claim a loss or a close game and if it's a huge win the. It's like a win win, sure you were wrong but they looked great.

The local media struck out on this one. Our local information sources are football retarded in my opinion.(Schopp, bulldog, sullivan, hamilton) They respond to story lines and not their knowledge of the game. There were very few story lines that jumped out and said the Bills were going to be better. So the local media ran w/ that.

These guys have alot of access to the Bills practices, training camps, & pre season games that they didn't even use to give a fair evaluation. No one in the Bills locker room is surprised by yesterdays performance.

This team may not go 16-0 but they sure as hell are not going to go 4-12. I think its easy to say they are 8-8 on the low side and 10-6 on the high side. Ahhh hell i'm drinkin the kool-aid. Give em 11-5. Go Bills!

OK. Honestly, I expected a most convincing win in our opener (23-3). But I didn't think KC would be this befuddled..

you can add the Chiefs to the list of people that whiffed on the Bills. They did not look prepared for the Bills at all (e.g. Chandler)...and even though I predicted the Bills to be 9-7 (yeah, picked KC to win their opener), there are 15 more games left to balance things out (on any given Sunday - right)?

ITA. I'm sure Todd Haley is getting roasted for having his team poorly prepared. They looked like a team that expected to win just by showing up.

I think the Buffalo media whiffed on this game because none of them expected Kansas City to be so bad although they might have if they paid attention to their pre-season.

I'd also like to believe they didn't see this coming because Gailey put an emphasis in camp on conditioning rather than pre-season games. And I think the play calling in those games was very vanilla; those games weren't a good gauge of what the Bills can do.

Edited by Golden Wheels

A little perspective is required here as well.

This was one game against what would certainly appear to be this years "worst team in the nfl" based on that one game.

Yes whatever local media said the Bills were the worst in the NFL this season either had their heads up their asses or were just trolling.

But lets not clear a space for the Lombardi trophy just yet either ;)

Uh.... I don't think anyone was expecting a blow out.

A lot of us were expecting a win and a close game, but not a blow out. Not surprised the media was thinking the same thing... Everyone at the bar was in disbelief the entire game, as well...

You make it sound like you were in the "expecting a win" crowd. But in the predictions thread you predicted a chiefs win 20-10. just settin the record straight.

At the risk of starting another conflagration, I really want to know what the Buffalo sports media does when they are supposedly covering the team? Maybe John Wawrow could tell us.

I can understand the national media has 31 other teams to cover and the Bills have been such an afterthought that few if any would bother to take a close look at us. But how do reporters, who's job it is to cover camp and practices, talk to players and coaches, etc, be so dead wrong on this team's prospects going into the season? Seriously, if all of you are so "shocked" by what you saw, what the f**k do you do all day?

I do have a theory. Things have been so bad with the Bills the last 11 years that most of the press, thinking they are being unbiased, dismiss any good signs out of hand as being a mirage. And with the head gremlin Jerry Sullivan leading the charge, all the other reporters fall in line behind him.

This is the only scenario I can imagine because the Bills didn't just expose the KC Chiefs today, they exposed the Buffalo News and WGR for short-changing local sports fans.

PTR

PTR...I would guess that almost everyone was surprised at the outcome of yesterday's game. Why should the News reporters be any different.

2 things.

First, as my new avatar says: it's the eat some crow show. We have buckets of crow. Gallons of it. There's plenty to go around.

They have been getting away with it, for me anyway, because usually with the Bills, I don't even want to talk about it, much less mix it up with some turd just so I can say: "cover the team, tool", and they can say "I am too cool", and get nowhere. Perhaps we can change this state of affairs in the coming months. I guarantee this board can be instrumental in that effort.

A little reality check is in order.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=230907002

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2003.htm

I was very excited yesterday for an awesome win, but I remain skeptical. This is Week One of a 16 game season. If we beat the Patriots and then the Jets this season, then hell yes I'd gobble up some crow in a SECOND. However, teams adjust and opponents get tougher.

Matt Cassel was horrible yesterday, and yet I couldn't help but think, would Tom Brady or Michael Vick had burned our secondary? I saw wide open guys that Cassel flat out missed. Will those Pro Bowl QBs miss those throws?

Edited by BmoreBills

PTR...I would guess that almost everyone was surprised at the outcome of yesterday's game. Why should the News reporters be any different.

I don't know. Maybe because they are paid to report on the team and have access most of us don't have?

PTR

I don't know, but I really hope posts like this don't come back to bite us in the ass come December. It was just ONE game. Maybe the stars aligned for us today - KC sure did look like a bunch of idiots out there. I already feel this board getting collectively too cocky, which is way too premature IMO.

It's OK to get cocky and OK to get down. It's sports, this is supposed to be fun. Enjoy the ride, whoop and holler all you want, if they do crash later, I can look back at week one and think; man that was fun. I've seen people have great things happen in their life, but they try to stay even because they feel something bad is coming around the corner. When something bad happens, deal with it then, but when something good happens, grab with both hands and milk it for all you can. Go Bills!